SiouxSports.com Forum

U. of NORTH DAKOTA @ Boston U - Saturday

AZSIOUX

Um, I hope I don't get shot for saying this but the first half of the game on MIDCO SN was almost unwatchable, it was tiling throughout the broadcast. The second half of the game was okay. I watched the game at my in-laws who have MIDCO SN. I went home to re-watch some of the game and the NESN feed was amazing. NESN is an awesome TV channel. I watch it quite a bit with my DirecTV package though.

I was wondering more about how the games look on Midco that Midco produces, ie Sioux home games?

The NESN DirectTV feed was amazing and I'm curious if Midco gives its viewers a comparable product when it does home games?

I was wondering more about how the games look on Midco that Midco produces, ie Sioux home games?

The NESN DirectTV feed was amazing and I'm curious if Midco gives its viewers a comparable product when it does home games?

To be honest with you, I have seen the Midco broadcasts in the press box and in the press room and they look good.Yet to see on in my house.

Does anyone even have Midco? LOL

My parents have midco in gf and the picture for the home games is great. Get on your feet song is terrible and used for every game they produce including other teams. They tend to do the und sports show with Dan hammer before each und game and the show was generally recorded at least 8 days in advance so no point to tune in early. My only other gripe would be lack of potential viewership. But their picture quality in gf is great. Pretty close to what nesn/nbcsn/CBS/fsn/root have produced.

Thoughts from Saturday's game (in person):

1) In hindsight, I should have been a lot harsher regarding Friday night's performance. This was a whole different team out there.

2) LOVE the OD, Grimaldi, Caggiula line. We already knew the latter two had chemistry, and OD was a great compliment to that.

3) OD was absolutely amazing. He made you take notice every time he was on the ice...tons of jump and determination. Despite a stellar performance, I'm not convinced that he's 100% yet. He was grimacing and slowly shaking his legs out in between whistles. Of course part of that could be due to exhaustion from not playing in awhile.

4) I don't understand how a program like BU is only pulling 4400 fans for a Saturday night game. I realize that there are a lot of other sports teams in the area competing for attention, but Boston needs to wake up. They're missing out on a gem right there.

5) As a whole, I thought the 4th line was effective. That being said, I was surprised to see them get ice time during OT. Most of the puck possession BU had during OT was while that line was on the ice.

6) The puck possession in this game was absolutely ridiculous. The Sioux had control for large stretches of time. It's no wonder that they put so many shots on goal. At the end of the third period, BU had 25 total shots. The Sioux had 23 shots in the third period alone.

7) In some respects, the officiating was slightly better than Friday night (at least BU got called for more than 1 penalty). That being said, it was still ridiculously bad. A broken stick does not automatically signify that it was slashed. Seriously. And that was just one of many.

8) Pattyn needs to stay out of the box. That being said, he was excellent in this game and not just because of the goal. It was fun to see him and O'Connor yapping at each other throughout the game.

9) The times at which the Sioux scored showed a lot of resilience. BU's second goal felt back-breaking, because UND had already been dominating play but had little to show for it. But the boys didn't let it shake them; they came back and scored immediately after.

10) I think the team deserved better than a tie. But hopefully they build on this game and are able to find some consistency. On the plus side, I'm pretty sure this was the first Saturday night this season that the team didn't lose.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the write-up, keikla!

3) OD was absolutely amazing.

Prior to the season starting, who would have thought OD would be such an important part of our offense?

He really has improved since last year, and that's great to see.

Perhaps that is why the coaches kept giving him chances last year...they knew that he had it in him.

Thanks for the write-up, keikla!

Prior to the season starting, who would have thought OD would be such an important part of our offense?

He really has improved since last year, and that's great to see.

Perhaps that is why the coaches kept giving him chances last year...they knew that he had it in him.

Agreed. I remember last year when they put him up with Knight and Kristo I was thinking that was a stretch. Now I am starting to become in awe of his play. Sat night he looked awesome. He reminded me of Stafford. Pattyn has been playing with the puck in the zone on another level too. Chyzyk is starting to get some maxi on the offensive boards as well as Rodwell when he was playing healthy. Caligula (that's what I call him) should shine again when his linemates get more consistent.

Grimaldi has the ability to completely dominate in the offensive zone. He has the skill to set up linemates like Ricky Rubio. I think the system should focus on him setting up linemates more than shooting and I think that has been happening the last few games. The problem is when he puts the puck on the tape of their stick they need to put the puck in the net.

As far as the defensemen go, Schmaltz is the best offensive defensemen we have had since Chorney, no offense Genoway. Mattson has started to really shine since he has(or has been allowed?) to skate with the puck. Stecher has taken a little of the sting out of not having a guy like big MAC or Blood. Simpson is doing some pretty darn good things too-Good shot, good poise but I would like to see him go to the next level...

I have a healthy respect for Hak's style of coaching, although I do feel he favors the defensive/accountability element of the game over offensive prowess sometimes to an extreme. Having said that in many ways, when you consider the talent and skill set of our defensemen, the reality of the situation is this year's team is set up to have success playing within his system. I think we all saw a glimpse of that on Sat night. I thought the Sioux were dominant. Excellent decision making with the puck. Very few screw-ups that lost possession both in transition and in the zone. Tape to tape passing all night long. One element I would like to see added is some drop back passes to the trailer after we enter the zone on breaks. We tend to shoot and hope for a rebound a little (maybe way) to much. A bit to much focus on "greasy goals". If I was Haks coach I would tell him to lose that phrase. Moving a goalie out of position is a much better option. Leave the greasy goal concept to the rebounds that come from blue liners shots. On the break use your speed to get the goalie out of position or screened. Then maybe the score/shot ratio will be better than 5%...

They get much worse, they might get 70 shots on goal

What I meant was it doesn't really matter how good we looked on Saturday night for 2/3's of the game. All that matters is they blew their lead at the end of the game. Same theme here so far the entire season (actually it started last year). This team cannot play with a lead whatsoever, 0 consistency. Hopefully that changes this weekend.

I was out west in the Badlands hunting this weekend so I didn't see either game but 90+ SOG and 4 goals in 2 games and this is a week after Maine hung a TD and extra point on BU? Hot goalie(s) no doubt...

And just watched the OD "slash"... :huh:

I was out west in the Badlands hunting this weekend so I didn't see either game but 90+ SOG and 4 goals in 2 games and this is a week after Maine hung a TD and extra point on BU? Hot goalie no doubt...

Fixed your post.

Goon, right before Rocco's tripping penalty on Saturday there is a great bear hug by a BU defenseman that goes uncalled earlier in the shift.

I will have to go back and look for it if I can. I think Drake got hugged as well.

I was out west in the Badlands hunting this weekend so I didn't see either game but 90+ SOG and 4 goals in 2 games and this is a week after Maine hung a TD and extra point on BU? Hot goalie(s) no doubt...

I think we can all agree that an OD slash did take place. The only problem was that it was the BU player that slashed OD, but OD got to serve the 2 minute minor.

damn, wondered how the BU guy got in alone on the tieing goal, thought a forward had failed to backcheck. Sioux were set up well defensively all the way down the ice, LaDue and Murphy had two of the guys, Mattson had the guy that ended up alone. Was a lucky bounce when LaDue blocked the pass attempt, but Mattson screwed up by leaving the goal scorer in an attempt to double team the guy LaDue already had. Don't leave your guy, Mattson, that's when s*)t happens.