SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky 2013-2014

Smoggy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Watched a couple other games last night along with ours. My thoughts

EWU @ WEBER

EWU: This team is going to be scary good in the next 2 years, and they are going to give the top teams a big headache this year. Case in point, they exploded out to a 10-0 at Weber last night and although Weber came back to win the game, Weber just could not put these guys away. Unlike last year, the Eagles have both a legit inside threat (Jois) and outside threat (Harvey), who are both sophomores. Harvey has exploded out of nowhere this year, averaging 20 a game for the Eagles and dropped 30 against Weber last night. They also gave Weber fits with their zone D last night as well. Weber however did keep Jois in check until the 2nd half and Harvey and Jois combined for 45 out of 67 points. This team will only get better and will be a tough out if they make the Big Sky tourney, and if they can get a consistent 3rd scorer to go with Jois and Harvey.... look out.

Weber: Like a true champion, they fought back from adversity and pulled one out on their home court. They have a very dynamic freshman guard in Senglin who was a big part in their win last night (averages 12 pts a game). The inside duo of Bolomboy and Tresnak did damage and pick their spots to led the 'Cats. Like I said they did struggle with EWU zone D, but did keep a good job in keeping Jois in check (but I sure they did not like letting Harvey go off for 30). They also strugged a bit from outside (6-20), which helped keep EWU in the game. Still, they are still one of the teams to be in the Sky this year and will only procede to get better

NAU @ MONT

NAU: NAU went right after Montana's weakness, inside. Jacobson shredded Montana's posts like a grater on a block of cheese, combine that with the lights out performance by their JUCO transfer Dixon (went 8-9 from the field, 3-3 from downtown including a dagger 3 with 35 seconds to go). They are doing okay without Russell (who left the team in the beginning of the year) and served notice to the rest of the conference that they can play and beat anyone anytime.

MONT: While not a major blow to winning the conference, there is concern in Missoula. Montana needs to work on their interior D so they do not allow posts to beat them down low. Also, they need more production from the post as well. Jamar is playing like the best player in the conference (21-8-7 last night is a damn good stat line) and he got some help from Gregory (who went 5-10 from downtown).

Standings as of 1/3

UNC 1-0

MSU 1-0

WEB 1-0

ISU 1-0

NAU 1-0

UND 1-1

MON 0-1

PSU 0-1

EWU 0-1

SAC 0-1

SUU 0-1

Games 1/4

SUU (0-1) @ UNC (1-0)

PSU (0-1) @ WEB (1-0)

EWU (0-1) @ ISU (1-0)

NAU (1-0) @ MSU (1-0)

SAC (0-1) @ MONT (0-1)

Off: UND (1-1)

Montana losing at home to Northern Arizona is a huge shock. The league appears to be so much more balanced this year as Jones has stated and 4-5 loses may win the regular season title. Seems a lot of teams have standout freshmen and junior college transfers. I am curious to see how Southern Utah does at Northern Colorado this Saturday.

Top 7 get in for the conference tournament...remember next year Idaho joins so its 7 out of 12 instead of 7 out of 11 teams.

Northern Colorado 4-1

Montana State 4-1

Northern Arizona 4-1

Weber State 3-1

Idaho State 3-2

Montana 2-3

Portland State 2-3

--------------------------

Eastern Washington 2-3

North Dakota 2-3

Sacramento State 1-4

Southern Utah 0-5

5 down 15 more games left.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure I'd call that breathing room... 1 loss, and 2 Sac State wins, and if you don't own the tie breakers, you could go from tied for 2nd, to 8th place and out of the tournament. The rest of the games are must wins. Jones- coached teams don't win the big ones, so I'm not holding my breath.

• 2 weeks later...

Northern Colorado is making things interesting for Weber. Weber has lost two in a row, while UNC has won 3 straight. The Bears are just one game back in the standings. I'd say UNC has a slightly easier schedule to finish the season, as the still have SUU to play. A couple weeks ago it was a foregone conclusion that the conference tourney would be in Ogden. Not so set in stone at this point.

Through 2/27

WSU 13-4(clinched a share of the BSC title)

UNC 10-7

UND 10-7

UM 9-7

----------------------------- ^^^still alive for a share of the BSC title (UND did go 0-2 vs WSU)

EWU 9-8

MSU 9-8

Sac 9-8

-----------------

NAU 9-8

PSU 8-9

ISU 7-10

SUU 0-17 (poor T-Birds)

Through 2/27

WSU 13-7 (clinched a share of the BSC title)

UNC 10-7

UND 10-7

UM 9-7

----------------------------- ^^^still alive for a share of the BSC title (UND did go 0-2 vs WSU)

EWU 9-8

MSU 9-8

Sac 9-8

-----------------

NAU 9-8

PSU 8-9

ISU 7-10

SUU 0-17 (poor T-Birds)

Weber State is 13-4.