SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ MIAMI - NCHC Opener

AZSIOUX

Won't be going but would love to hear a Miami fans overview of their team. Obviously your first line is absolutely tremendous, and two young goaltenders with a full year under their belt of CCHA hockey.

I apologize to your fan base in advance for picking Miami to win the national championship last year.....killed any chance they had..... :whistling:

Hello Everyone! Miami Alum here. Looking forward to the weekend and the start of a growing rivalry.

Miami's top 3 lines are speedy and very deep. Gave up size the past couple of years to get faster throughout line up. I suspect this was done to prepare for the new conference and crack down in officiating. Forecheck is as aggressive I've seen. Our chippiest and most physical line would be Murphy-Coleman- Mullin. But beware, they have the goods as well. The team feeds off of their intensity. Goaltenders are very good and bail out the D quite often. Defense is where Miami can be "had". Young players and still making rookie mistakes. Lacking size as well. If ND can get the puck deep and "cycle" / battle down low they will create opportunities and should have an advantage.

Miami will score in bunches, but in saying that, have been giving up bunches at a time as well (and is a problem Miami has had throughout the years....see National Championship game couple years back). However, getting the puck deep with possession will be a test since Miami is fantastic at forechecking and neutral zone play/defense. Last weekend Ohio state could only dump and chase at best and were made to take perimeter shots hoping for rebounds. However, when they did succeed a couple times to gain possession deep, they created and capitalized.

ND will have to be aware of the transition speed of Miami and vice versa. Lastly, Miami seems to have to focus on special teams play during the week more than the past. PP and PK are practiced daily. I would guess that the team who wins the special teams play, will win the games this weekend. Both teams believe that they can score anytime and from anywhere. Overall, I think the games will be a great test for both squads. I wouldn't be surprised with any outcome.

Cheers

• Upvote 3

Hello Everyone! Miami Alum here. Looking forward to the weekend and the start of a growing rivalry.

Miami's top 3 lines are speedy and very deep. Gave up size the past couple of years to get faster throughout line up. I suspect this was done to prepare for the new conference and crack down in officiating. Forecheck is as aggressive I've seen. Our chippiest and most physical line would be Murphy-Coleman- Mullin. But beware, they have the goods as well. The team feeds off of their intensity. Goaltenders are very good and bail out the D quite often. Defense is where Miami can be "had". Young players and still making rookie mistakes. Lacking size as well. If ND can get the puck deep and "cycle" / battle down low they will create opportunities and should have an advantage.

Miami will score in bunches, but in saying that, have been giving up bunches at a time as well (and is a problem Miami has had throughout the years....see National Championship game couple years back). However, getting the puck deep with possession will be a test since Miami is fantastic at forechecking and neutral zone play/defense. Last weekend Ohio state could only dump and chase at best and were made to take perimeter shots hoping for rebounds. However, when they did succeed a couple times to gain possession deep, they created and capitalized.

ND will have to be aware of the transition speed of Miami and vice versa. Lastly, Miami seems to have to focus on special teams play during the week more than the past. PP and PK are practiced daily. I would guess that the team who wins the special teams play, will win the games this weekend. Both teams believe that they can score anytime and from anywhere. Overall, I think the games will be a great test for both squads. I wouldn't be surprised with any outcome.

Cheers

Welcome to the board. I don't know if your games last week were similar, but if this weekend's games are called by the refs anything like our games against Vermont, then these ones will most certainly be decided on special teams.

Welcome to the board. I don't know if your games last week were similar, but if this weekend's games are called by the refs anything like our games against Vermont, then these ones will most certainly be decided on special teams.

Hey Sioux Nation! Just got approved and excited to jump in. Hope you guys can come liven up our board over at MiamiHawkTalk.

Agree that special teams will be big this weekend. In past years it has seemed that, while Miami excelled on the PK, we never were a consistent PP threat. I think the balance may have shifted in favor of the PP unit this year, at least until the young D corps gets some more experience. The question is whether Miami can stay out of the box. They seemed to do relatively well Friday with only 3 individual penalties (to Ohio State's 9), but then had 7 called in Saturday's match (to Ohio State's 2).

I've been looking forward to this match-up since the new conference was announced and we see a great rivalry start to develop. Safe travels to those making the trip!

I'm looking forward to seeing miamis top line since somebody had the audacity to compare them to a line contains Toews Oshie and Duncan..... I hope they aren't that good.

I doubt that, they may be a great and exciting line but those 3 were on a different level. Look forward to the match up as well! Hope to see ausmus in this weekend both games. Just not sure who sits. Maybe Thompson one night and mattson one night but again that's a tough call for Hak and co.

I'm looking forward to seeing miamis top line since somebody had the audacity to compare them to a line contains Toews Oshie and Duncan..... I hope they aren't that good.

Not quite that good lol.

Czarnik and Barber are about as dynamic of a combo as you'll get in college, but Max Cook is a role player (albeit a much improved one), just out there to add a little size and chip in when possible.

I doubt that, they may be a great and exciting line but those 3 were on a different level. Look forward to the match up as well! Hope to see ausmus in this weekend both games. Just not sure who sits. Maybe Thompson one night and mattson one night but again that's a tough call for Hak and co.

I don't understand what has happened to Mattson. Huge recruit who the gophers wanted, I was really sad to see him choose UND at the time but now he's a possible healthy scratch as an upper classman? Never saw that coming a few years ago thats for sure.

I don't understand what has happened to Mattson. Huge recruit who the gophers wanted, I was really sad to see him choose UND at the time but now he's a possible healthy scratch as an upper classman? Never saw that coming a few years ago thats for sure.

He was really good as a fr then last year I'm not sure what happened. This year doesn't look great either. Maybe he's just in a rut and is thinking too much. I really liked him as a fr while last year I saw him as a liability.

He may not sit a game all year, I was just referring to this weekend and what type of D men they would play possibly vs a Miami team. Simpson and schmaltz won't miss a game then you have the 4 talented fresh. Still way early in the season to make any evaluations I suppose either way. yes you are correct as didn't think I would mention him sitting. But what the hell do I know :) ha not much just love fri and sat sioux hockey!!

I do remember that recruiting process with UND and gophs, he was a young young signing that's for sure. I believe Colten st Clair even commited to CC when he was 14. That's a head scratcher and a topic well written about in brads articles at week.

If I was to guess Friday

SIMPSON

SCHMALTZ

MATTSON

AUSMUS

STECHER

LADUE/THOMPSON(one of the two them flip flop sat maybe)

PANZERELLA

Mattson has tons of skill, but his offensive tendency has gotten him in trouble on the defensive end a lot in the last year and change. As a freshman, he may not have had the confidence to make some of the decisions he makes these days - thus kept his game simpler. I'm sure the coaches are in his head, and am hoping to see him steady out.

As far as this weekend's games, I always look forward to the big series. It's nice to have a perennial national contender in-conference that I don't despise (yet?) It would be a safe bet to pick one game as a run-and-gun higher scoring affair, and the other much more contained. No predictions, other than hopefully exciting hockey.

He may not sit a game all year, I was just referring to this weekend and what type of D men they would play possibly vs a Miami team. Simpson and schmaltz won't miss a game then you have the 4 talented fresh. Still way early in the season to make any evaluations I suppose either way. yes you are correct as didn't think I would mention him sitting. But what the hell do I know :) ha not much just love fri and sat sioux hockey!!

I do remember that recruiting process with UND and gophs, he was a young young signing that's for sure. I believe Colten st Clair even commited to CC when he was 14. That's a head scratcher and a topic well written about in brads articles at week.

If I was to guess Friday

SIMPSON

SCHMALTZ

MATTSON

AUSMUS

STECHER

PANZERELLA

I don't know why all the hate for Mattson. I thought he was just fine last weekend. I would be willing to guess that Simpson-Schmaltz and LaDue-Mattson are set and the third pairing is the toss-up. After last weekend, I think we see Ausmus-Stecher Friday and go from there. I thought Thompson definitely looked like a young freshman D on Saturday night. I don't recall him getting a shift in the last 10-12 minutes of the game and OT.

If I was to guess Friday

SIMPSON

SCHMALTZ

MATTSON

AUSMUS

STECHER

PANZERELLA

Simpson and Schmaltz are for sure playing. I'd put in Stecher and Ausmus for both nights. I'd also give Mattson and Panz another shot to prove their worth on Friday. If they both stink, Ladue and Thompson get Saturday. I thought Ladue looked better this past Saturday, but he was awful on Friday. Hopefully he becomes the player everybody seems to think he can be.

Note: These are not defensive pairings, just who I think should be dressing.

Mattsons decisions with the puck on his stick in the offensive zone are terrible sometimes. He'll have an easy open pass and try a dangerous pass through a defenders stick all too often. I just don't feel comfortable when he's on the puck up top. He's got one hell of a shot but about five times a game he makes a pass that makes me cringe.

I really like Ausmus. He's so much better on the puck and at skating than I thought he would be. He's bigger than I thought also. He could end up being the best of all the fr defensemen.

I don't know why all the hate for Mattson. I thought he was just fine last weekend. I would be willing to guess that Simpson-Schmaltz and LaDue-Mattson are set and the third pairing is the toss-up. After last weekend, I think we see Ausmus-Stecher Friday and go from there. I thought Thompson definitely looked like a young freshman D on Saturday night. I don't recall him getting a shift in the last 10-12 minutes of the game and OT.

I don't really get all the hate for Mattson either. The only complaint I remember having about him last week was he sat back on a puck that he should've played (wasn't even close) and allowed Vermont a 2 on 1 against him. Some people on here are really protective of Ladue. He's a freshman so I know he'll make some mistakes, but I thought at least one of the goals was on him this past weekend. Then when I looked at the game thread, people on here were blaming Mattson for it.

weren't fans saying the same thing about a certain defensive captain we had a few years back.

Exactly... There have been a few whipping boy defensemen over the last 10 years (Genoway, Lee, Smaby, Finley, etc.) Some deserved it, some probably didn't. Usually people thought they belonged in the lineup despite the issues, but with Mattson many think there are better options. Last year, maybe, this year with our youth, I'd say no. He just needs to clean it up a bit. He made some fine plays against Vermont, including a hard back-check and breakup on an odd-man rush to make up for getting caught up-ice.

For D this weekend, I agree with AZ on who's in. But maybe Hak needs to continue changing up the pairings.

Hate? That's a little strong :) I just think fans watch games and give opinions and realize this team has options, that's all. I don't think mattson has done anything great or anything that bad. Hopefully this will be the year he breaks out a bit as this is his third year and has played a lot of big games. This D core is a nice group, just will come wit some growing pains. That's college hockey!

I haven't been impressed with Ladue yet. He and Thompson looked out of place at times. Both had noticeably shaky sticks too. And it's not a local kid nerves thing since Johnson had no such issues.

Johnson is a forward. It's a bigger adjustment for D. I think we can wait longer than opening weekend to say who can't hack it.

• Upvote 1

I don't really get all the hate for Mattson either. The only complaint I remember having about him last week was he sat back on a puck that he should've played (wasn't even close) and allowed Vermont a 2 on 1 against him. Some people on here are really protective of Ladue. He's a freshman so I know he'll make some mistakes, but I thought at least one of the goals was on him this past weekend. Then when I looked at the game thread, people on here were blaming Mattson for it.

Mattson makes mistakes, but then again so do others. Maybe the reason he gets more grief is because he is touted as an offensive defenseman and it doesn't seem the tangible results (goals) are coming from that offense. I think once people zero in on one guy, a lot of people scrutinize that person even more. Heard the same thing about Joe Gleason, and remember the people that couldn't understand why Chay Genoway was playing defense when he should have been playing forward. Mattson has things to work on to be sure, but I like that he inserts himself into the offense, because we are going to need that more this year. Hopefully we have the solid goaltending that will allow for a few chances being taken.

If you are an experienced junior D-man and you looked less comfortable than 3 Fr. D-man in your defensive zone and then with the puck, you didn't have a good weekend. Mattson IMO was our 6th best D-man this past weekend at best out of the 8 that played.