SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs EWU...GAMEDAY

Oxbow6

He's a freshman quarterback on a bad team with horrible leadership - what do you expect? A 10:1 touchdown-to-interception ratio, 70% completion percentage, and a 3000 yard season? Not gonna happen, even with the receivers we have because we can't run the ball and our defense always has us trailing. Mollberg is a physical specimen; he looks the part. Has good size, arm strength, and is mobile; there's nothing wrong with his fundamentals other than an occasional back foot throw and a jump pass here and there. Those mistakes will decrease with experience. Right now, all the issues are between his ears, but that will also improve with time. Be patient when it comes to Joe. It also helps that he will have Jameer Jackson and Kenny Golladay with him the next couple of seasons.

Hopefully, after this season concludes, the ship will be righted and Joe gets some good coaching along with a more stable system that includes a power running game with a play-action passing game.

The game is to fast for him right now, I hope it comes to him but I haven't seen a lot so far to make me think it will. I mentioned this on another thread but he is late throwing the ball a lot, if those passes are on time we have all kinds of run after catch opportunities.

Carr didn't play well yesterday and to me was a glaring problem.

The game is to fast for him right now, I hope it comes to him but I haven't seen a lot so far to make me think it will. I mentioned this on another thread but he is late throwing the ball a lot, if those passes are on time we have all kinds of run after catch opportunities.

Carr didn't play well yesterday and to me was a glaring problem.

When a 16-year old kid is learning how to drive, do you think it may be a little fast for him right away? And when that kid gets into his first fender bender, do you never let that kid drive a vehicle again? Absolutely not; you allow for learning via experience.

Big Ten schools along with SDSU and NDSU showed interest in Joe not because he was some talentless gunslinger. He will improve, but there will be mistakes along the way because he's being asked to drive on a 75 mph highway when he should be driving on a 55 mph one (running game and solid defense).

Hope you understand the analogy.

When a 16-year old kid is learning how to drive, do you think it may be a little fast for him right away? And when that kid gets into his first fender bender, do you never let that kid drive a vehicle again? Absolutely not; you allow for learning via experience.

Big Ten schools along with SDSU and NDSU showed interest in Joe not because he was some talentless gunslinger. He will improve, but there will be mistakes along the way because he's being asked to drive on a 75 mph highway when he should be driving on a 55 mph one (running game and solid defense).

Hope you understand the analogy.

I understand the analogy but I don't think it's accurate. Joe isn't just stepping into the QB position with zero experience, he has been playing for several years at the least and had a year practicing at UND. Granted the game speed is up and that is the biggest adjustment for most high school players going into college, but that adjustment and the ability to make it is crucial for a QB. I think Joe is loaded with talent, but that doesn't mean he will be a good college QB. He certainly still could be and I think in all likeliness will be but having him play before he is ready does hurt the teams chances of winning games this season. Which increases the chances of the coaching staff getting canned at the end of the year. The pick 6 yesterday was a complete momentum changer and was the beginning of the end of UND's chances to win yesterday.

I watched him blow a read play yesterday by handing off, if he pulled the ball he easily has ten yards. Is this his fault, I don't know for certain because maybe it isn't a true read option play and maybe the coaches don't want him running. Because he is playing I almost feel like the staff needs to give him a count based upon the drop and say if you haven't thrown the ball by this point just pull it down and run so it isn't a turn over or loss of yards.

I understand the analogy but I don't think it's accurate. Joe isn't just stepping into the QB position with zero experience, he has been playing for several years at the least and had a year practicing at UND. Granted the game speed is up and that is the biggest adjustment for most high school players going into college, but that adjustment and the ability to make it is crucial for a QB. I think Joe is loaded with talent, but that doesn't mean he will be a good college QB. He certainly still could be and I think in all likeliness will be but having him play before he is ready does hurt the teams chances of winning games this season. Which increases the chances of the coaching staff getting canned at the end of the year. The pick 6 yesterday was a complete momentum changer and was the beginning of the end of UND's chances to win yesterday.

I watched him blow a read play yesterday by handing off, if he pulled the ball he easily has ten yards. Is this his fault, I don't know for certain because maybe it isn't a true read option play and maybe the coaches don't want him running. Because he is playing I almost feel like the staff needs to give him a count based upon the drop and say if you haven't thrown the ball by this point just pull it down and run so it isn't a turn over or loss of yards.

Detroit Lakes and Big Sky football represent a night and day difference.

I just think the sample size is too small for the conclusions you've jumped to.

5-star QBs across the county often sit for a year or two before making their first start. Playing quarterback is a complex PROCESS and immediate success or lack thereof is often not indicative of the long-term potential.

He's a freshman quarterback on a bad team with horrible leadership - what do you expect? A 10:1 touchdown-to-interception ratio, 70% completion percentage, and a 3000 yard season? Not gonna happen, even with the receivers we have because we can't run the ball and our defense always has us trailing. Mollberg is a physical specimen; he looks the part. Has good size, arm strength, and is mobile; there's nothing wrong with his fundamentals other than an occasional back foot throw and a jump pass here and there. Those mistakes will decrease with experience. Right now, all the issues are between his ears, but that will also improve with time. Be patient when it comes to Joe. It also helps that he will have Jameer Jackson and Kenny Golladay with him the next couple of seasons.

Hopefully, after this season concludes, the ship will be righted and Joe gets some good coaching along with a more stable system that includes a power running game with a play-action passing game.

I'm confused, is Joe transferring next year?

You didn't "watch him blow the call" cuz they haven't put in the read option. They should cuz he can run. He had a decent game yesterday. Poor decision on the pick but he stuck a number of passes into tight spots and through for 350 yds while getting pressured much of the time. We are fine at QB. Defense was better fundamentally but still gave up over 400 yds. we must eliminate the TO's and penalties. Long way to go. Need to get better each week No moral victories in this league.

• Upvote 1

Mollberg threw a pick on what should have been the drive to tie the score. I figured that would've set him back. Nope. He led the team right back down the field, ... and then the fumble on the EWU 7 happened.

Mollberg is a freshman with no protection and an OC who thinks he's playing XBOX.

And zero running game. Jer even looks smaller than Miller in pads if that's possible.

The fact they don't put in Shaugabay or Sparks behind Pecosky in 22 personnel and even attempt to run some power is upsetting to me. They should at least attempt to establish the run or incorporate some read option in the gun so Mollberg can get involved running and we have a running presence out of the gun.

You didn't "watch him blow the call" cuz they haven't put in the read option. They should cuz he can run. He had a decent game yesterday. Poor decision on the pick but he stuck a number of passes into tight spots and through for 350 yds while getting pressured much of the time. We are fine at QB. Defense was better fundamentally but still gave up over 400 yds. we must eliminate the TO's and penalties. Long way to go. Need to get better each week No moral victories in this league.

You seem to have some team insight - any idea why they had good sucess with Miller to the outside on the first drive, then decided to pound the rock inside with our 168 pound back?

I just think the sample size is a too small for the conclusions you've jumped to.

5-star QBs across the county often sit for a year or two before making their first start. Playing quarterback is a complex PROCESS and immediate success or lack thereof is often not indicative of the long-term potential.

on top of that, in practice, Mollberg is going against the porous UND defense... not the standard for learning to play against the top defenses in the Big Sky, like Montana, Montana State.

The fact they don't put in Shaugabay or Sparks behind Pecosky in 22 personnel and even attempt to run some power is upsetting to me. They should at least attempt to establish the run or incorporate some read option in the gun so Mollberg can get involved running and we have a running presence out of the gun.

I cannot tell you how much I am longing for the time I can watch UND move the ball methodically down the field at will behind a power running game that demoralizes the defense. Maybe we can get that going with Sparks and Sharp.

Someone needs to call the coaches show and ask why Mussman never plays sparks and why he called two timeouts with less than a minute to go when the game had easily been decided.

Both legit questions to which I'm very sure Muss has no logical explanation.

It is very clear Miller and Jer are nothing more than change of pace/3rd down backs at this level. Wait...change of pace?? They are the only 2 that play! My bad...

As to the TOs...once again it's just part of the brilliance that is Muss!

I just think the sample size is too small for the conclusions you've jumped to.

What conclusion? That I am not convinced he will be the guy? He hasn't show it yet and as I said it may change but him playing now isn't helping it's hurting the success on the field because he isn't ready yet. The problem is that UND doesn't really have any other options.

Man half of the time the pressure if just because he isn't getting the ball out quick enough! He does make some good plays and is clearly talented (that's why I want to see him run, and why I explained I didn't know if it was a true read option) They run it like a read option but he may be told never to pull the ball and run and if that's the case it doesn't make sense to fake something you will never run. The QB isn't leading a lot of scoring drives and has a lot of ugly and costly turnovers. With these WR's UND should be putting up points but they aren't. It's certainly not all on the QB but I think a lot on the message board are really negative about most players but continue to give a pass to the QB because he's a freshman. Why does he get all the excuses while everyone else just seems to suck? If he can improve on reading the defense, getting the ball out quickly Joe could be one of the best to ever play at UND, but he's not close to that yet. If he would pull the ball down and run instead of throwing the bad INT's it would dramatically help the team, even if it means the drive is stopped. That is a lot better than a pick or pick 6 giving up momentum and field position.

You seem to know Joe, and tell me if I am wrong but watching him I get the feeling he is a physical guy that would actually relax and play better if they let him run and get hit a little.

What conclusion? That I am not convinced he will be the guy? He hasn't show it yet and as I said it may change but him playing now isn't helping it's hurting the success on the field because he isn't ready yet. The problem is that UND doesn't really have any other options.

It's darkly entertaining to go back to the offseason analysis surrounding how this offense would "be just fine" because Joe is stud and he's got the best receiving corps in the country to throw to.

Both legit questions to which I'm very sure Muss has no logical explanation.

It is very clear Miller and Jer are nothing more than change of pace/3rd down backs at this level. Wait...change of pace?? They are the only 2 that play! My bad...

As to the TOs...once again it's just part of the brilliance that is Muss!

I still can't figure out how Miller is a senior at 5'11" and isn't at least 190. If he had 20-30 pounds more on his frame and didn't lose his speed he would be pretty good. He is just to easy to tackle due to his size.

I don't really care about TO at the end of the game, I am more concerned with the TO early because the team can't get lined up or get the correct play in.

I still can't figure out how Miller is a senior at 5'11" and isn't at least 190. If he had 20-30 pounds more on his frame and didn't lose his speed he would be pretty good. He is just to easy to tackle due to his size.

I don't really care about TO at the end of the game, I am more concerned with the TO early because the team can't get lined up or get the correct play in.

It comes down to nutrition. If a skinny guy doesn't eat an extreme amount of food he won't gain weight. That's on Jake.

It comes down to nutrition. If a skinny guy doesn't eat an extreme amount of food he won't gain weight. That's on Jake.

My brother is law had trouble keeping on weight as an OLB, but he would build it up in the offseason and burn it off in season most years.

You seem to have some team insight - any idea why they had good sucess with Miller to the outside on the first drive, then decided to pound the rock inside with our 168 pound back?

No, I think it is difficult to run inside if the RB's can't break arm tackles. I am impressed with hard hard these guys run but I think we need to use some sort of read option run game and let Mollberg run. Heck, he is 230 lbs. Having said that Miller got a number of his yards against Montana State running inside. Improving our consistency in pass game will help the run and inproving our run game helps the pass. (Go figure). I need to be careful what I babble on about because I am sure ESPN will be reading this and want me on their show and I don't have time.

So far UND has used Mollberg (and Bartels) for nothing more than a QB who is going to throw 40+ times a game. That is not Mollberg's skill set. He is a dual option QB who can throw and run. They have shown read option this year, but it is not a true read option. It is a designed hand-off. When UND lines up in the I formation it is quite obvious that they are either going to hand off to Miller on a power. Just one time I would like to see Mollberg pull it and run a designed bootleg. He has the speed and size to get outside and do some damage. If they can throw in 4-5 designed runs for Mollberg each game it will make a difference in how the defense plays UND. Right now the D line is going hells bells to get at the QB with no respect for his ability to run the ball. The D backs never ever have to even consider coming up to make a tackle when they see our QBs drop back or roll out.

One time on Saturday Mollberg rolled out and rather than passing he tucked it and ran. I think he got 10 yards. UND needs to do much much more of that on 1st and 2nd down. It will help keep the D honest and will make use of one of the skills that Mollberg offers that he was recruited for. He was brought in as a dual threat, not a Braden Hansen, stand in the pocket and throw every down guy. If he keeps throwing 40+ times a game he will continue to make mistakes, even two years from now.

Also... was anybody besides myself having kittens when we had the ball on goalline on 3rd and 4th down. On 3rd down we threw, but Hardin, Jackson, Golliday and Townsend were all on the sidelines. On 4th down we ran it with these same four standing on the sidelines.... Actually they weren't all standing... Hardin was so upset he was running up and down the sideline freaking out... literally...

So far UND has used Mollberg (and Bartels) for nothing more than a QB who is going to throw 40+ times a game. That is not Mollberg's skill set. He is a dual option QB who can throw and run. They have shown read option this year, but it is not a true read option. It is a designed hand-off. When UND lines up in the I formation it is quite obvious that they are either going to hand off to Miller on a power. Just one time I would like to see Mollberg pull it and run a designed bootleg. He has the speed and size to get outside and do some damage. If they can throw in 4-5 designed runs for Mollberg each game it will make a difference in how the defense plays UND. Right now the D line is going hells bells to get at the QB with no respect for his ability to run the ball. The D backs never ever have to even consider coming up to make a tackle when they see our QBs drop back or roll out.

One time on Saturday Mollberg rolled out and rather than passing he tucked it and ran. I think he got 10 yards. UND needs to do much much more of that on 1st and 2nd down. It will help keep the D honest and will make use of one of the skills that Mollberg offers that he was recruited for. He was brought in as a dual threat, not a Braden Hansen, stand in the pocket and throw every down guy. If he keeps throwing 40+ times a game he will continue to make mistakes, even two years from now.

Also... was anybody besides myself having kittens when we had the ball on goalline on 3rd and 4th down. On 3rd down we threw, but Hardin, Jackson, Golliday and Townsend were all on the sidelines. On 4th down we ran it with these same four standing on the sidelines.... Actually they weren't all standing... Hardin was so upset he was running up and down the sideline freaking out... literally...

was it one of the 3rd and goal or 3rd and short, they run a fade to Hardin? They brought him in as the only receiver, lined him up wide, and everyone I was with knew what was coming. Such a low percentage play, even with a good receiver, on 3rd, forces us to a field goal instead of a touchdown.

In that situation why dont' we play action Joe? Unless the bookends of the line can't hold (maybe the case), it seems like that would be a bread and butter set up for us in short yardage. Joe is not only athletic, he's really good size, can't be the easiest quarterback to bring down. Maybe it's too simple or predictable, but not anymore than the token toss to Hardin we tried. Also, I'd like to see someone cover Hardin or Gollday across the formation on a back of the endzone crossing route.