SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs EWU...GAMEDAY

Oxbow6

It just jeopardizes his players and puts them in positions to get hurt.

Yeah, and you could tell that EWU was in the mood to take some shots with the way they were jumping around on the sideline. Come on Muss....run out the clock and call it good.

A win is a win, and a loss is still a loss. It's doesn't matter that it was closer than most of us thought it would be. Team still didn't have what it takes. Time for Muss to check out. Nothing there to motivate either the O or the D. Sick of it.

A win is a win, and a loss is still a loss. It's doesn't matter that it was closer than most of us thought it would be. Team still didn't have what it takes. Time for Muss to check out. Nothing there to motivate either the O or the D. Sick of it.

What worries me on some level, is that there's a lot of long time fans-myself among them-which now consider a 3 score loss to be a close game.
  • Upvote 2

The past couple years, I've been pretty hard on Mackey. I wasn't a big fan of his trash talking, getting beat for a big play, then trash talking some more. But at Idaho State I saw something different from him that I noticed today when I watched closely. He's going to talk to guys and be excited when he makes a play. He has a short memory but he gives guys credit when they beat him. Every time he went up to the line against a receiver at ISU, he would slap hands as a "good lucK' type thing. After he got burned for the TD he would tap the receiver on the helmet or head for a good play. He may talk a lot when he makes a good play but he knows when he has been beat. He also was the first and last player to say something to the fans, thanking us for coming to the game.

I could do without the trash talking but he's got passion for the game and for the fans. He's an easy target for the fans to dislike because he gives up a lot of big plays but he's a UND guy through and through. I'll take his excitement and love for the team and game over some of the people just coasting by.

I find it difficult to believe he was jawing with UND fans and considering the source, I doubt it ever happened.

UND played better than I expected, but the same lack of enthusiasm was present. Also, the stupid penalties and turnovers (4 for this game) persisted. I'm still on the same boat - we need to get a coach that can motivate the players but also put the players in the best position possible. Mussman does neither.

The past couple years, I've been pretty hard on Mackey. I wasn't a big fan of his trash talking, getting beat for a big play, then trash talking some more.

I find it difficult to believe he was jawing with UND fans and considering the source, I doubt it ever happened.

Good point

Is actually a perfect hashtag and season motto. Unfortunately, over the past few seasons, it refers to REMOVING brick by brick, the proud history and tradition of North Dakota football.

Less than 8000 fans paid to see today's homecoming game.

And probably 2000 of those were unused student tickets.

Homecomings:

2013: 7951 vs EWU

2012: 9742 vs NAU

2011: 9930 vs Cal Poly

2010: 10,215 vs SUU

2009: 12,431 vs USD

2008: 12,164 vs Western Washington

2007: 12,148 vs Augustana

I hope Faison sees a pattern and Fires Muss.

Definite correlation there. Writings on the wall, but we won't know for sure if Faison sees it until after the season.

Definite correlation there. Writings on the wall, but we won't know for sure if Faison sees it until after the season.

Funny how just 4 years ago we had 12k in attendance...good luck trying to reach that mark unless UND can get the Gophers to come to town.

I had forgotten Adams was just a Freshman last year. At what point do we stop saying Mollberg is just a freshman and expect better play? One touchdown complimenting a couple of turnovers won't beat anyone. The pick six was as bad as I've seen all year at any level-guy wasn't open, threw it flat footed. Bad decision, bad technique. Awful.

I had forgotten Adams was just a Freshman last year. At what point do we stop saying Mollberg is just a freshman and expect better play? One touchdown complimenting a couple of turnovers won't beat anyone. The pick six was as bad as I've seen all year at any level-guy wasn't open, threw it flat footed. Bad decision, bad technique. Awful.

To be fair, don't you have to compare this year's Adams with NEXT year's Mollberg then?

To be fair, don't you have to compare this year's Adams with NEXT year's Mollberg then?

Nope. He showed last year that despite being a freshman, there's no law requiring you to play like one.

2012: Adams was selected as the Freshman of the Year on the College Sporting News “Fabulous 50” All-America team, and was also on the College Sports Journal Freshman All-America squad. Adams was also one of 20 players on the ballot for the Jerry Rice Award, given to the top freshman in FCS by The Sports Network (he finished sixth in the voting, which occurred prior to the playoffs). Adams ranked fourth in FCS in passing efficiency (160.80), and was the only freshman in the top 24 of the rankings. He also was 69th in FCS in total offense (191.5 per game). His efficiency rating also ranked fourth all-time in school history. In nine games as a starter and three as a sub, he completed 60.9 percent of his passes for 1,961 yards, 20 touchdowns and eight interceptions. With he and Kyle Padron sharing time at quarterback, the Eagles finished with 4,469 passing yards, breaking the previous record of 4,102 yards in 2005. In back-to-back games in the FCS Playoffs, each had a school-record six touchdown passes -- Padron versus Illinois State (12/8/12) in the quarterfinals and Adams against Sam Houston State (12/15/12) in the semifinals. Adams completed 14-of-26 passes for 364 yards – all after intermission --- as EWU scored 42 points in the second half to rally from a 35-0 halftime deficit and nearly pull off an improbable rally. His yardage against SHSU was a career high and ranks 38th in school history. His incredible scramble and touchdown throw against Sacramento State (10/20/12) was one of eight finalists for the GEICO Play of the Year. Facing a six-man rush from the Hornet 10-yard line, Adams avoided as many as eight tackles as he back-peddled side-to-side to the 35, then side-stepped a defender and tossed a touchdown pass to Greg Herd in EWU’s 31-28 win over Sac State. Adams won the Play of the Year voting for Week 8, and the eight weekly winners were shown on GEICO Best of College Football 2012 on CBS on Nov. 23. The winner of the GEICO Play of the Year was a one-handed catch by Ohio State’s Devin Smith. Adams completed 17-of-21 passes for 169 yards and two touchdowns against Sac State to earn team offensive player of the week honors. In an unannounced and surprise start, Adams made his first career start in EWU’s 32-26 victory at Weber State (9/22/12), and used his arm and his feet to lead EWU to a 20-3 halftime lead. Adams led Eastern to scores on four of five drives in the first half, including a 75-yard touchdown march on his first drive as an Eagle. He finished the game 7-of-12 for 75 yards, and ran five times for 62 yards, but missed most of the second half with cramping. Of his five rushes, four were for first downs; of his seven completions, four more resulted in EWU first downs. One game later in his home starting debut, Adams atoned for a fourth-quarter fumble and interception by throwing two touchdown passes in the in the final 2:19 as the No. 7 Eagles rallied for a 32-26 victory over 21st-ranked Montana (9/29/12) at Roos Field. As a result, Adams was selected as the Sports Network co-Freshman of the Week in the FCS, the College Sports Journal co-Freshman of the Week and the ROOT Sports Offensive Player of the Week awarded by the Big Sky Conference. Eastern put together an 82-yard scoring drive to pull within two points with 2:19 remaining on a 30-yard touchdown pass from Adams to Brandon Kaufman. After EWU successfully recovered an onside kick, Eastern scored again on a 20-yard TD pass from Adams to Ashton Clark with 53 seconds to play. Adams completed 25-of-41 passes for 353 yards (52nd-most in school history) and three touchdowns in his second career start for EWU, and also added a team-leading 54 yards rushing. He accounted for 407 of EWU’s 447 yards of total offense. In the final quarter alone, Adams was 13-of-21 for 171 yards and a pair of scores. Eastern scored the first time it had the ball on an eight-play, 75-yard scoring drive, then led 14-7 in the second quarter on Kaufman’s 36-yard TD reception from Adams. Later in the year, Adams repeated as ROOT Sports Offensive Player of the Week after accounting for 356 yards of offense in seventh-ranked EWU’s 34-17 win versus No. 16 Cal Poly (11/3/12). He led the Eagles with 288 yards passing and 68 on the ground, as the Eagles finished with a season-high 542 as a team. He completed 19-of-29 passes and had three touchdown tosses, and also rushed for 68 yards. Eastern’s scoring drives in the game were of 81, 66, 74, 69, 41 and 83 yards. For his effort, he also received honorable mention Performer of the Week accolades in FCS by College Football Performance Awards. With an off-the-charts efficiency rating of 252.6 in just his third career start, Adams earned College Sports Madness Big Sky Offensive Player of the Week in EWU’s 55-17 win over North Dakota (10/6/12). He completed 12-of-15 passes for 151 yards and four touchdowns in just over a half of work to also earn team offensive player of the week honors. He also had a net 38 yards rushing (long of 23). Eastern finished with 458 yards of offense overall. Adams finished with 191 yards rushing for the season (4.9 per carry). He scrambled his way to 62 yards in his starting debut versus Weber State, another 54 versus Montana (9/29/12) and a season-high 68 against Cal Poly (11/3/12).

No. And the refs made no indication.

I could not figure out why no call - it was not a light hit on the punter. He got smoked. Plus, I thought the whistle should have been blown with no forward progress on the Kenny G. fumble. I just want to confirm that stopped forward progress is still called "correct" or did they change that rule?

Plus, it appears that the defense is improved with moving Mackey to CB and starting 23 at safety.

Plus, I liked to Molberg's play..

Minus, O-line just can not get a consistent push.

Minus, Jer has done nothing in three years.

Minus, Molberg needs to work on his accuracy and holding on to the ball.

I could not figure out why no call - it was not a light hit on the punter. He got smoked. Plus, I thought the whistle should have been blown with no forward progress on the Kenny G. fumble. I just want to confirm that stopped forward progress is still called "correct" or did they change that rule?

Plus, it appears that the defense is improved with moving Mackey to CB and starting 23 at safety.

Plus, I liked to Molberg's play..

Minus, O-line just can not get a consistent push.

Minus, Jer has done nothing in three years.

Minus, Molberg needs to work on his accuracy and holding on to the ball.

Joe's bad throws always happen when he has poor fundamentals with his feet. When he sets up and through the throw he's really good and accurate. He had a really good game today besides a couple of throws and the fumble. Bottom line, he is improving.

Quick question on the no call on the roughing the punter play.. did EWU get a piece of the punt. I could not tell..

Ref shrugged his shoulders and then gave the wash out signal thought muss was going to kill the linesman after that.

If that's the type of officiating we are going to get faison needs to say something other then thank you sir for letting us in my I have another.