SiouxSports.com Forum

Fools!

kim

What fools we are at UND! Who would dump national TV coverage on a sport and replace it with a quirky, costly computer coverage. Dumb!!!! It is my understanding that they did this for the NCHC to secure a partial TV deal. It looks like we did not look out for the interest of UND and this will be the death of the UND hockey recruiting and fan base!!

I am very disapointed with the leadership (or lack thereof) who allowed this to happen. Who ever endorsed this deal should be fired!

Please let me know who i can send a letter. Unfortunately, the letter will not contain money until the get this resolved.

What a joke!!!!!!

How dare us look out for the betterment of our conference than for solely ourself? Everyone, including the athletic department had admitted that this is limited the number of national games UND is in. But all home games are still available online. Nothing is going to change now, so get over it.

Does anyone know if Faison voted for this deal? Are we all assuming the CBSSN deal was a unanimous decision? I imagine, just like every other conference... Majority rules. That's a big reason why UND left the WCHA, very soon the big schools would be a minority in the league.

I believe Faison isn't a fan of the new tv deal but it's something he couldn't control. What he can control is increasing the ways to watch UND hockey outside of National TV. That is being done with iPhone, iPad, Android streaming in HD and through an HD broadcast in cities throughout four states.

Staying in the WCHA would have been the death of UND hockey as we know it. There were two groups in the WCHA. Group 1 included MN, WI, UND, DU, CC, UNO, and UMD. These are the schools with a large commitment to hockey. Group 2 included MTU, BSU, MSU, UAA, and SCSU. As long as there were sufficient schools with a big commitment to hockey, league votes were fine. With the coming of the B1G, MN and WI were gone. Now the small low budget teams would control the votes. UND had to do something to protect itself. Staying in the WCHA would not have been good for UND.

• Upvote 4

do you think Notre Dame would give up their TV deal for the betterment of a league? No!

Sorry folks, but the TV contracts (and teams with greatest coverage) will win at the end of the day!

The only reason Notre Dame hockey has games on NBC is because NBC sold their soul to the devil to cover Notre Dame football. To get exclusive rights to the football games NBC had to agree to broadcast other sports.

do you think Notre Dame would give up their TV deal for the betterment of a league? No!

Sorry folks, but the TV contracts (and teams with greatest coverage) will win at the end of the day!

when we won national titles in 97 and 00 we never had tv contracts, maybe that is why we can't get over the title hump :p

what percentage of the people who viewed FSN every weekend are going to subscribe to watching their iPhone?

you are blind!

This was a bad deal for UND hockey.

I'm not blind. I agree it was a bad deal for UND hockey. But it wasn't just UNDs decision to make. That is where you're blind.

This will end up hurting recruiting and the issue I have is the poor negotiating that the NCHC did. The NCHC does not have an EXCLUSIVE contract with CBSSN as they also have three Atlantic Hockey telecasts. It is sad when the college hockey team with the most TV viewership nationally cannot negotiate. All we hear is the sob story of, "We were just one of eight votes". There is no doubt the BigTen league, with only six teams, has a HUGE edge in coverage right now. Who would have believed even a year ago that Penn State would have more nationally televised games than North Dakota. The Big Ten has games televised on the CBSSN, NBCSN, ESPNU, ESPNNews, and of course the Big10 Network. In fact Wisconsin and Michigan have as many games on CBSSN as Nebraska-Omaha. Do you think that the BU-UND game being televised on NBCSN does not have anything to do with the viewership that the UND fan base has? Also, the WCHA has an equal internet service for all of their teams announced, that UND currently has for fans outside of the MidCo viewing area. Again, take a look at UND's roster and see how many of the boys are outside of the MidCo footprint. This was a horrible deal with CBSSN. By the way, since the Big10 has their own network and NBCSN gathered in Hockey East after Notre Dame joined, who else was CBSSN going to get as far as college hockey. Do you think they would want the viewership of Atlantic Hockey (although as I mentioned they have three games already in their line up), ECAC or the WCHA?

I'm not blind. I agree it was a bad deal for UND hockey. But it wasn't just UNDs decision to make. That is where you're blind.

Everyone understands that this is a league decision - People are upset 1. because it is a poor deal for the league and 2. We see UND as a mover and shaker in this league and are surprised at how quickly we rolled over and how soon it was before the rest of the league stuck it to us. Add the officials that we saw last night and I am not happy with the new league (even though I see the reasoning behind forming it - don't need that lecture again).

• Upvote 1

What fools we are at UND! Who would dump national TV coverage on a sport and replace it with a quirky, costly computer coverage. Dumb!!!! It is my understanding that they did this for the NCHC to secure a partial TV deal. It looks like we did not look out for the interest of UND and this will be the death of the UND hockey recruiting and fan base!!

I am very disapointed with the leadership (or lack thereof) who allowed this to happen. Who ever endorsed this deal should be fired!

Please let me know who i can send a letter. Unfortunately, the letter will not contain money until the get this resolved.

What a joke!!!!!!

Sit down, relax, have a beer. This won't hurt recruiting. While I agree it is very annoying, this will be short term in the scheme of things. My guess is the games will be available in a few years on dish/DirecTV/cable. In the meantime streaming online will work so I'm happy about that.

Maybe we need to do a UND hockey Surge with Midco Sports Network. Let them know who you feel. There's no reason that MIDCOSN shouldn't be on DirecTV and Dish Network.

Done twice with Direct. Perhaps Midco could come out with a viewing app or be available with smart tv (appletv for example) that would trump Nulion's coverage. I'm not betting on that but I've contacted them about it.

Done twice with Direct. Perhaps Midco could come out with a viewing app or be available with smart tv (appletv for example) that would trump Nulion's coverage. I'm not betting on that but I've contacted them about it.

I was in Sams club one day and they had a set up where you could put whats on your tablet on your television. Wouldn't this work with an iPad? With a smart tv, there's got to be a way to put up these broadcasts. I know, I was looking at this gizmo yesterday at office max that was like a smart DVD player without the dvd.I am also wondering if this would work? NeoTV Prime with Google TV

Everyone understands that this is a league decision - People are upset 1. because it is a poor deal for the league and 2. We see UND as a mover and shaker in this league and are surprised at how quickly we rolled over and how soon it was before the rest of the league stuck it to us. Add the officials that we saw last night and I am not happy with the new league (even though I see the reasoning behind forming it - don't need that lecture again).

I agree that UND is a mover and a shaker in the league but that doesn't mean they overrule everyone else. How happy would people have been had Minnesota and Wisconsin received more preferntial treatment in the old WCHA? Who would have been happy if those two big schools were able to dictate to the other schools how TV would work? Why is the situation different for UND in the NCHC?

I agree that UND is a mover and a shaker in the league but that doesn't mean they overrule everyone else. How happy would people have been had Minnesota and Wisconsin received more preferntial treatment in the old WCHA? Who would have been happy if those two big schools were able to dictate to the other schools how TV would work? Why is the situation different for UND in the NCHC?

Big schools by size does not equal TV viewership. The UND/Nebraska-Omaha was I believe the highest viewed college hockey game on the NBCSN last year. My argument is with the negotiation behind the deals with MidCo and CBSSN. A simple clause in the contract that stated that any games that are not selected to be covered by CBSSN would be allowed to be broadcast by the teams in whatever manner they wanted. I would bet that one of the North Dakota-Minnesota games from Marriucci will be on the Big10 Network when they play there in a couple of years. Even if Wisconsin is playing Michigan or Michigan State, that game would get the viewership.

Big schools by size does not equal TV viewership. The UND/Nebraska-Omaha was I believe the highest viewed college hockey game on the NBCSN last year. My argument is with the negotiation behind the deals with MidCo and CBSSN. A simple clause in the contract that stated that any games that are not selected to be covered by CBSSN would be allowed to be broadcast by the teams in whatever manner they wanted. I would bet that one of the North Dakota-Minnesota games from Marriucci will be on the Big10 Network when they play there in a couple of years. Even if Wisconsin is playing Michigan or Michigan State, that game would get the viewership.

I'm not going to take the time to see if the numbers are available from FSN or the Big10 Network but just because UND had the most viewers on one channel doesn't mean they have more viewers than Minnesota and Wisconsin. UND had the most viewers on NBCSSN, a channel that aired zero Minnesota games. I agree that the UND/Minnesota game would get more viewers than a Wisconsin vs whomever game. However, I would bet most Minnesota games will have more viewers than Wisconsin games. Minnesota is a hockey school, Wisconsin does very well with attendance usually, but that doesn't always translate into viewers.

The CBSSN agreement is a bad deal for UND. The exclusivity clause is the part that wrecks it for UND the most. The rest of the deal is actually pretty good for UND and the conference.