SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

Just a few points for clarification on all this.

First thing to keep in mind is all of these players involved in the sexual assaults were recruited by Hauck and all these incidents except the Johnson incident happened early in Pflu's first year.

1) Donaldson was arrested and currently in prison.

2) The 4 football players accused in the gang rape were never charged, according to DOJ blaming poor handling by the UM OPS and the police department. Pflugrad is named in the investigation for not reporting it in a timely manner...which seems unusual because the victim reported it to police immediately and they were on campus investigating the next day and interviewing the players. The players were disciplined even though they were never charged, and that effectively became the end of it. He may have made an error in judgement by not contacting Engstrom immediately, but it's not like it was being covered up, everybody knew what was going on. Had they been arrested the situation would have been completely different, at that point it was an investigation with nobody arrested.

His quote after the incident:

“With the information I had at that particular moment in time – I did the right thing with the information I had,” he said. “And that was told to me by the Missoula Police Department. I was told I did an admirable job not only with my discussion with all those players, but my disciplinary process.”

3) Johnson incident which has been discussed.

In the end the two things that are are linked to Pflugrad are failing to report the mother of another player paying to bail two players out of jail which she was reimbursed for from one of the players grandfathers, and not immediately reporting the rape allegation which was already being investigated by Missoula police on-campus and which he had already disciplined the players for even though they were never charged.

I realize there are some concerns about these incidents and sexual assault had become an issue both on and off campus at UM (something like 50 rapes in 4 years according to police records), but implying Pflugrad was in any way responsible or tried to cover up anything done by the football team is laughable.

My question to you is what did Pflugrad do to deal with a culture of sexual assault on the Montana team. You're right they weren't his recruits, but it happened on his watch. Did he institute sexual assault training and prevention programs? Did he do anything to try and stop it from happening again? I've been unable to find anything to suggests that he did.

The inadequacies of the U Montana police department are a separate but related issued. Ultimately, we have no way of knowing if the players should have been arrested or not because the police didn't do their job. But if you heard allegations of date rape drugs and gang rapes,what would you do? I know I'd see a massive red flag and would be engaging in some serious educational efforts to minimize it happening. If you have found information that suggests that Pflugrad did anything substantial to deal with the culture of the team, I would love to read it. I've followed this case pretty closely since it started, and I haven't seen anything that suggests that Pflugrad took the problem seriously. Your quotation where he says he handled things well tells us nothing. What specifically did he do to handle it well? Absent that information it is impossible to tell.

HR has certain things that automatically disqualify an applicant for a job. I am not sure if that's what happened to Pflu or if Faison put the stop to it, but if he was automatically knocked out by HR because of the Montana thing I would have no problem.

I work in hiring for a worldwide company of more than 250,000 employees and work with HR on hiring on a weekly basis and it is the same way. I have say for a lot of stuff, but there are still guidelines. It is my job to get the candidate I want, if a person fails the background check or doesn't meet minimum requirements than there is nothing even I can do.

I am not saying it is right or wrong on the HR process, just that it is normal for HR to be involved, often times more so than I like.

If you want to compare hiring practices, there is no need to look further than how other Division I schools hire football coaches. There are your comparisons. You don't need to start talking about how your company does it and what your HR department does. It's just not relevant.

This is a highly-specialized field. And given recruiting and player retention, it's a very time-sensitive hire. Good ADs should have a short-list of candidates at any given time and should have the freedom to act quickly to fill the spot when an opening occurs. Look at the way Boise State hired its football coach. That is the way it works at most FBS schools. I'm not sure how most FCS schools do it, but I highly doubt most FCS schools place as many restrictions on the process as UND does. So maybe it is "normal" in your world for HR to play this prominent of a role in hiring decisions, but it is not "normal" in the world of Division I athletics, particularly with head football coaches. The key questions are - Why does UND do it differently? Does UND benefit by mandating minimum posting times? Does UND benefit by placing more restrictions on its AD? Will UND ultimately get better or worse coaching hires with such a process in place? In my opinion, those are the relevant questions when discussing the process.

• Upvote 2

Let's cut through the BS here...Pflu isn't the issue. HR departments are not the issue...although I can see the argument here. UND not having a head FB coach right now is the issue. I personally think Pflu is a good candidate, but if he isn't a "9" so be it. If the HR dept at UND axed him...so be it. Still doesn't get to the issue that Faison doesn't have a HC yet. To me that's the issue. If he walks on water like some of you suggest, he certainly can deliver this program a FB coach as a Christmas present I would think!

• Upvote 1

honestly what do we lose by this process taking so long? after this season i think it couldn't get much worse. I trust faison and think there is a reason he is taking his time.. trying to get his hands on more money will only expand his options, especially as bowl games start to be played and put an end to some teams' seasons..

If you want to compare hiring practices, there is no need to look further than how other Division I schools hire football coaches. There are your comparisons. You don't need to start talking about how your company does it and what your HR department does. It's just not relevant.

This is a highly-specialized field. And given recruiting and player retention, it's a very time-sensitive hire. Good ADs should have a short-list of candidates at any given time and should have the freedom to act quickly to fill the spot when an opening occurs. Look at the way Boise State hired its football coach. That is the way it works at most FBS schools. I'm not sure how most FCS schools do it, but I highly doubt most FCS schools place as many restrictions on the process as UND does. So maybe it is "normal" in your world for HR to play this prominent of a role in hiring decisions, but it is not "normal" in the world of Division I athletics, particularly with head football coaches. The key questions are - Why does UND do it differently? Does UND benefit by mandating minimum posting times? Does UND benefit by placing more restrictions on its AD? Will UND ultimately get better or worse coaching hires with such a process in place? In my opinion, those are the relevant questions when discussing the process.

They are relevant questions and I agree there are differences. My point was just that HR plays a role in every hiring process with varying degrees of importance.

As was explained in Tom Miller's article from a couple of days ago, the hiring policies are a combination of state, North Dakota University Systems, and UND. NDSU would have had to follow almost exactly the same policy if they had done a national search, except their listing time is actually 5 business days longer (1 full week). NDSU was lucky that they had pieces in place that they could just promote rather than going through the process. Faison has to follow the policies in place.

Some of the hiring process issues have been discussed in regards to hiring Presidents at both UND and NDSU. No one has had any traction in making changes in the policies after Presidents were hired at both UND and NDSU during the past 6 or 7 years, so I'm not sure whether anything will change after this. But the policy isn't going to change before this coach is hired.

honestly what do we lose by this process taking so long? after this season i think it couldn't get much worse. I trust faison and think there is a reason he is taking his time.. trying to get his hands on more money will only expand his options, especially as bowl games start to be played and put an end to some teams' seasons..

Recruiting and player retention are the main concerns.

Keep in mind, it's not just the head coaching vacancy. Once hired, the head coach has to go through this same process when assembling his coordinators, assistant coaches, and staff. I think people are worried that UND will not have a full football staff in place until after signing day and will largely miss out an entire year's worth of recruiting.

Don't get me wrong, I think Faison should have the flexibility to take this much time if he wants. Maybe he needs to get money issues in place, or maybe he is waiting for his targeted candidate to apply, etc. I just don't like "the process" dictating it.

So who on our staff would have you promoted?

No one. I'm just saying Taylor found a way to get it done. Faison should have dumped Muss way sooner, posted the job and got a new guy going by Dec. 1. I realize the situations are different, but the end results could have been the same; a new guy quickly.

But if there is any truth the rumors that Pflugrad didn't make the final 9, as ordained by the all-powerful HR department based on their points system, then this process has some serious problems.

Was it stated that he didn't make the HR screening? Or that he wasn't in the list of 9? Those can be two different situations. There is the possibility that he withdrew his name...

Recruiting and player retention are the main concerns.

Keep in mind, it's not just the head coaching vacancy. Once hired, the head coach has to go through this same process when assembling his coordinators, assistant coaches, and staff. I think people are worried that UND will not have a full football staff in place until after signing day and will largely miss out an entire year's worth of recruiting.

Don't get me wrong, I think Faison should have the flexibility to take this much time if he wants. Maybe he needs to get money issues in place, or maybe he is waiting for his targeted candidate to apply, etc. I just don't like "the process" dictating it.

I do not like the process at all either. But it is how it is. I too am concerned with recruiting, but at this time last season with the old staff we had very few verbals, so what's the difference? Somehow we have gotten a couple verbals without a head coach, around the same amount as if we had our former staff out and about. I want the right guy so we don't have a coaching staff that can't keep up with recruiting in the coming years like our old staff..

As was explained in Tom Miller's article from a couple of days ago, the hiring policies are a combination of state, North Dakota University Systems, and UND. NDSU would have had to follow almost exactly the same policy if they had done a national search, except their listing time is actually 5 business days longer (1 full week). NDSU was lucky that they had pieces in place that they could just promote rather than going through the process. Faison has to follow the policies in place.

Some of the hiring process issues have been discussed in regards to hiring Presidents at both UND and NDSU. No one has had any traction in making changes in the policies after Presidents were hired at both UND and NDSU during the past 6 or 7 years, so I'm not sure whether anything will change after this. But the policy isn't going to change before this coach is hired.

That article really didn't explain a lot. Yes, NDSU has a similar posting requirement, but it didn't say anything about whether NDSU has a similar HR-points policy and interview policy. I came away from that article thinking most of the problems with the process (except for open records laws) was University policy. But even if some of it is NDUS policy, my point was not to compare with only NDSU, but to the rest of the country.

I agree nothing is going to change with this hire, and probably won't change after this hire. It'll probably take an external search for head hockey coach to get a little traction toward change.

Was it stated that he didn't make the HR screening? Or that he wasn't in the list of 9? Those can be two different situations. There is the possibility that he withdrew his name...

Nothing has been stated officially. Just speculation from people supposedly in the know. Which, admittedly, isn't worth much more than interesting conversation.

Good point about the possibility of him withdrawing his name. It's also possible that Faison removed him from the list himself, which I wouldn't have a problem with. I just had a big problem with the speculation that Pflugrad didn't make it past HR.

Nothing has been stated officially. Just speculation from people supposedly in the know. Which, admittedly, isn't worth much more than interesting conversation.

Good point about the possibility of him withdrawing his name. It's also possible that Faison removed him from the list himself, which I wouldn't have a problem with. I just had a big problem with the speculation that Pflugrad didn't make it past HR.

I went and read the actual job description. One of the minimum requirements is strict adherence to NCAA rules and regulations. His sanctions from the NCAA could have booted him off the list. Usually if a candidate doesn't meet the minimum qualifications they are automatically excluded from the search. This is pretty much true everywhere. It's why when a school knows who they want to hire, they write the job description knowing it allows them to hire that person without a problem from HR.

That article really didn't explain a lot. Yes, NDSU has a similar posting requirement, but it didn't say anything about whether NDSU has a similar HR-points policy and interview policy. I came away from that article thinking most of the problems with the process (except for open records laws) was University policy. But even if some of it is NDUS policy, my point was not to compare with only NDSU, but to the rest of the country.

I agree nothing is going to change with this hire, and probably won't change after this hire. It'll probably take an external search for head hockey coach to get a little traction toward change.

The HR policies, point systems and interview policies are similar at pretty much all state institutions and department. They each have some minor differences (for instance UND requiring listing for 15 days versus NDSU for 20 days). But the applications will go to a central HR location, HR goes through them to eliminate most of the applications using some kind of system based on meeting job description qualifications, a list of potential interviewees is sent to the department, then they go through the interview process and choose a candidate. So yes, it was probably University policy, but that policy is based in large part on how the rest of the state government system works. UND does not have a policy that is significantly different from NDSU or any other institution or department. And yes, it is a very cumbersome and time consuming procedure for permanent, full-time positions.

My question to you is what did Pflugrad do to deal with a culture of sexual assault on the Montana team. You're right they weren't his recruits, but it happened on his watch. Did he institute sexual assault training and prevention programs? Did he do anything to try and stop it from happening again? I've been unable to find anything to suggests that he did.

The inadequacies of the U Montana police department are a separate but related issued. Ultimately, we have no way of knowing if the players should have been arrested or not because the police didn't do their job. But if you heard allegations of date rape drugs and gang rapes,what would you do? I know I'd see a massive red flag and would be engaging in some serious educational efforts to minimize it happening. If you have found information that suggests that Pflugrad did anything substantial to deal with the culture of the team, I would love to read it. I've followed this case pretty closely since it started, and I haven't seen anything that suggests that Pflugrad took the problem seriously. Your quotation where he says he handled things well tells us nothing. What specifically did he do to handle it well? Absent that information it is impossible to tell.

It's up to the football coach to institute campus policy on sexual assault? My question would be why is the campus OPS, which is in charge of trafficking these instances, not reporting them efficiently or why is the University president not doing anything to address them, these were just the tail-end of many assaults which have come to light after the investigation?

My feeling on this deal is these kind of things were commonplace on the UM campus and weren't taken seriously at the top...then when the high-profile football team became involved and the media became more enlightened with the sheer numbers it became a high-priority issue and somebody was going to take the fall for it. Dennison was already gone so anybody in administration was off the hook, Engstrom came in and fired the next best option, the AD O'Day who admittedly knew more about the violations than Pflugrad did, but Pflugrad was let go too even though virtually nobody here believes he should have been.

I can't say what he did or told his team after the gang rape allegations, UM instituted a sexual awareness program after the assaults which students have to complete before they can register for their next semester, a 7 video series I believe. That probably should have happened a couple years earlier. The only thing I can look at is the only incident involving the football team since Dec. 2010 is the Johnson fiasco which was a joke, and neither Hauck's or Pflu's recruits have been involved in anything since so I have to assume he got it through their heads, really with the exception of one of our DB's knocking down a traffic sign in downtown Missoula after a game this year the team has been model citizens since then.

I don't think he's going to get hired at UND, I just feel he should have his side presented in fairness.

The HR policies, point systems and interview policies are similar at pretty much all state institutions and department. They each have some minor differences (for instance UND requiring listing for 15 days versus NDSU for 20 days). But the applications will go to a central HR location, HR goes through them to eliminate most of the applications using some kind of system based on meeting job description qualifications, a list of potential interviewees is sent to the department, then they go through the interview process and choose a candidate. So yes, it was probably University policy, but that policy is based in large part on how the rest of the state government system works. UND does not have a policy that is significantly different from NDSU or any other institution or department. And yes, it is a very cumbersome and time consuming procedure for permanent, full-time positions.

This may be true, but it sure seems as if every other University/College outside of North Dakota know how to streamline the process and cut some of the red tape.

really whats the biggest difference bt caruso and deboer....both youngish and from smaller schools with great results...why is everyone so high on caruso but luke warm on deboer?

My guess at an answer: DeBoer's offense hasn't been exactly ripping it up at SIU.

really whats the biggest difference bt caruso and deboer....both youngish and from smaller schools with great results...why is everyone so high on caruso but luke warm on deboer?

Because Caruso spent time with NDSU while DeBoer spent time with Lennon...which means he is the same as Mussman. ;)

If Deboer interviews well and gets the job I don't have a problem with him. His teams were always

prepared. I still believe the coordinators and assistant coaches are the key to this hire.