SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

I have to think that if DeBoer doesn't get the UND job, he's going to be a strong candidate to replace Joe Glenn, who will be 65 in March, in another year or two at USD.

What I remember reading on the Yote board back when Glenn was hired was that USD was grooming Wes Beschorner as Glenn's possible successor. Beschorner is a young guy but has been OC for past 5 years & I see he has the title of Associate Head Coach since Glenn came along. Still you'd think DeBoer would at least get a look if he doesn't end up here.

Bubba would never make lateral move

Bubba for hc

Deboer for oc

I understand it would result in a likely pay cut if Bubba came to UND in an assistant capacity, but hypothetically it may make more sense to start over at UND than stick with the status quo at SIU, given the fact that one more non-playoff season could mean Lennon and the whole staff are ousted.

• Upvote 1

I would be very curious to hear their reasoning and solution behind the comment that it "doesn't have to be done this way" despite saying that state law is involved.

I don't know what this particular website means, but despite the procedural requirements, I still think a lot of the work in the process could have been done "off the grid" to expedite the process and to make sure that you don't lose out on a highly qualified guy that didn't want to formally apply and have his name plastered in the newspaper unless he was reasonably sure it was going to lead to an offer and acceptance. Maybe that was done here to a certain extent, but I don't get that feeling. Maybe Faison thinks there's no way to be creative under the law and he has to do it strictly by the book. Who knows. I just hope we're not missing out on someone we might have otherwise gotten who wanted no part of this hiring process.

I don't know what this particular website means, but despite the procedural requirements, I still think a lot of the work in the process could have been done "off the grid" to expedite the process and to make sure that you don't lose out on a highly qualified guy that didn't want to formally apply and have his name plastered in the newspaper unless he was reasonably sure it was going to lead to an offer and acceptance. Maybe that was done here to a certain extent, but I don't get that feeling. Maybe Faison thinks there's no way to be creative under the law and he has to do it strictly by the book. Who knows. I just hope we're not missing out on someone we might have otherwise gotten who wanted no part of this hiring process.

Personally, I think that a lot of work has been done "off the grid". I also think that Faison is smart enough to not say so in public, since thumbing your nose at the policies set forth by your employer can create sticky situations in the future.

If he brought in "his guy" without following protocol, the door would be wide open for lawsuits, angry legislators, and at a minimum, bad press for the athletic department.

As mentioned before, much has been said about the ND open record laws preventing quality applicants in a variety of positions, including university presidents.

Sounds like Tom Miller will be writing an article today or tomorrow addressing some of this. And while I agree that there has been some work done "off the grid", it won't be advertised much and Faison is well aware of how important of a hire this is.

Personally, I think that a lot of work has been done "off the grid". I also think that Faison is smart enough to not say so in public, since thumbing your nose at the policies set forth by your employer can create sticky situations in the future.

If he brought in "his guy" without following protocol, the door would be wide open for lawsuits, angry legislators, and at a minimum, bad press for the athletic department.

As mentioned before, much has been said about the ND open record laws preventing quality applicants in a variety of positions, including university presidents.

Are these policies available online? I'm specifically referring to whatever rules are in place which require a job to be posted for x number of days, etc. What is the quickest time in which you have seen a hiring process take?

Sounds like Tom Miller will be writing an article today or tomorrow addressing some of this. And while I agree that there has been some work done "off the grid", it won't be advertised much and Faison is well aware of how important of a hire this is.

I hope it includes Q & A with Faison, and not fluff stuff...2nd, 3rd level type questions...like what constitutes an emergency hire and how can it be used in a situation like this?

From the Herald chat today:

wayne:

Not saying the name isn't on the list. But we've heard from agents, etc., that we're hurting the selection process because we're publishing names and that they know coaches are interested but are waiting to apply or won't apply. Cloudy issue to say the least.

Hire DeBoer, Muss gets to replace him as OC on Lennon's staff at SIU, which takes a nice chunk out of UND's buyout to Muss. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone. ;)

In all seriousness, if Faison doesn't want to go the way of Pflugrad, then DeBoer is a very intriguing candidate.

DeBoer isn't my favorite based on his lack of head coaching experience at a level higher than NAIA and his lack of success with Lennon. However, he was part of the biggest coaching mismatch I have ever seen when he brought his team here to take on Muss and the Sioux.

I don't see how it's illegal for a coach to talk with Faison and have a frank discussion of said coaches chances in a wink wink sort of way. I don't even think it's immoral. I would go out of my way in my business to get specific people to apply for a job in addition to the HR required application time (private sector requirements for equal opportunity status kind of things).

I don't see how it's illegal for a coach to talk with Faison and have a frank discussion of said coaches chances in a wink wink sort of way. I don't even think it's immoral. I would go out of my way in my business to get specific people to apply for a job in addition to the HR required application time (private sector requirements for equal opportunity status kind of things).

I don't think it is. But from the sounds of the University hiring process, there will likely have to a handful of candidates interviewed due to qualifications. If someone is applying on the down low, it is possible they don't want their name out for an extended period of time. Maybe they apply "late" during the interview process? Or maybe the new guy is on the list and this process just takes forever due to the amount of applicants they had. Can't imagine they expected there would be this many.

What I remember reading on the Yote board back when Glenn was hired was that USD was grooming Wes Beschorner as Glenn's possible successor. Beschorner is a young guy but has been OC for past 5 years & I see he has the title of Associate Head Coach since Glenn came along. Still you'd think DeBoer would at least get a look if he doesn't end up here.

You may very well be correct about Beschorner, but he's still really young--30 at most. Plus, all his experience is at USD. I suspect he would be a much riskier hire than would DeBoer.

I don't think it is. But from the sounds of the University hiring process, there will likely have to a handful of candidates interviewed due to qualifications. If someone is applying on the down low, it is possible they don't want their name out for an extended period of time. Maybe they apply "late" during the interview process? Or maybe the new guy is on the list and this process just takes forever due to the amount of applicants they had. Can't imagine they expected there would be this many.

If he had his guy in hand, would he be able to fulfill these requirements via phone or video conferencing while the applications come in? I honestly don't know...

For all the Faison haters out there. Put yourself in his shoes. You need to make the most important personnel decision of your life and your legacy/job will be directly affected by it. Why would he make it public knowledge if he is doing things off the record to circumvent the nd system? Wouldn't you want this hire to not only be a home run but also be a pristine hire with no negative pub? I trust he's doing his thing right now and it shouldn't be questioned until he gives us a good reason to question his ability to find the right man for the job.

• Upvote 2

DeBoer isn't my favorite based on his lack of head coaching experience at a level higher than NAIA and his lack of success with Lennon. However, he was part of the biggest coaching mismatch I have ever seen when he brought his team here to take on Muss and the Sioux.

Which basically means we know almost without a doubt DeBoer is a better coach than Muss.

Can anybody with either a really good memory, or easy access to the Herald archives, recall how long the process took from start to finish when Lennon was hired to succeed RT?

And whether the Herald published the names of every applicant...

In fairness, media has completely changed since Lennon was hired that even if the Herald didn't publish the names, someone else would and it would hit the blogosphere in full force anyway.

I can't even imagine what it will be like when UND does an external search for the head hockey coach position for the first time in the internet age.