SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

Dale Lennon at SIU has the second greatest winning percentage in that programs history and the most wins by a SIU coach for their first five years.

Are expectations that high at SIU to get rid of your second best coach ever?

The problem is that he took over when the program was a perennial playoff contender. They just finished their fourth straight non-playoff season, and they have gone 5-6, 4-7, 6-5 and 7-5 since they last made the playoffs. Throw in how much he's making, and their fan base is decidedly unhappy. The "Fire Dale Lennon--2013 version" thread is at 65 pages so far on their message board.

Coaches all have bad streaks but he also has two MVFC championships.

The ADs are also partly to blame. Don't schedule Illinois but Valpariso and they are likely in the playoffs this year.

Unfortunately, coaching is very much a "what-have-you-done-for-me-lately?" profession. I still think Lennon is a great coach. I just don't think that was the right situation for him. It seemed like a good move at that time, though.

If I counted right SIU has made the playoffs about twice since 2000 or so...the same amount Dale has taken them.

Kill made playoffs his last five years there. Made semi's his final season. He's a hero there. Crazy how much better Lennon did as a dII coach than Kill, though.

I don't see Caruso entering the mix at this point. More of a private school kind of guy I think...maybe ends up at an Ivy or somewhere out east in a few years.

How did he end up in the midwest anyway? I believe he's from Connecticut or someplace, but has spent a long time in Minnesota and the Dakota's.

Unfortunately, coaching is very much a "what-have-you-done-for-me-lately?" profession. I still think Lennon is a great coach. I just don't think that was the right situation for him. It seemed like a good move at that time, though.

It seemed a bit odd that he'd turn down Montana State while UND was DII, then accept a position at SIU after UND announced it was moving up to DI. It seemed to me, especially in hindsight, that he took the SIU position because he knew UND football was going to experience some turbulence during the transition, not so much that SIU was a great fit for him.

He could be a legit candidate.

His Chippewas teams have been about 0.500 since he's been OC, but based on the game scores, defense is the problem, not offense. He's been around FBS programs, including a one year stint at Michigan State. I could not find any NFL experience.

His Chippewas teams have been about 0.500 since he's been OC, but based on the game scores, defense is the problem, not offense. He's been around FBS programs, including a one year stint at Michigan State. I could not find any NFL experience.

He also worked with the #1 overall pick in last year's draft.

It seemed a bit odd that he'd turn down Montana State while UND was DII, then accept a position at SIU after UND announced it was moving up to DI. It seemed to me, especially in hindsight, that he took the SIU position because he knew UND football was going to experience some turbulence during the transition, not so much that SIU was a great fit for him.

Bunning

• Upvote 2

I don't think Faison is going to go down the good ole boy track. It just doesn't seem like his style. So I don't think it will be Bubba.

I also don't think it will be Pflugrad (even though he's my choice right now). I just have a feeling Faison will go out on his own and hire someone else. Obviously based on nothing other than a hunch. Should be a very interesting few days.

^^^^^ this ^^^^^

Wouldn't mind getting Bubba at all. His defenses while at UND are almost legendary, he got head coaching experience at UMD, and if you look at his bio on the SIU website, his defenses have ranked in the top three in the MVFC in several categories several times since he's been there. Plus, recruiting-wise, I'm sure he has many contacts in the ND/Minn./Wis. area from his UND/UMD days. I think he'd do a great job.