SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

The only reason I see for a top 9 is that the next UND coach came in 9th in the "point standings." Sure would be nice to have Faison make some kind of statement this week...

If he has to have 9 candidates to get "his" choice, then he really didn't have a good understanding of who was going to be available and most likely to apply (e.g. His short list was really short to begin with....).

Former Griz running back Beau Donaldson sentenced to 10 years for rape.

http://missoulian.co...1a4bcf887a.html

4 Montana football players accused of a gang rape potentially having drugged the woman; Pflugrad knows and doesn't tell his supervisors.

"But in January, UM President Royce Engstrom wrote in a draft of planned public remarks that then-Grizzlies football coach

Robin Pflugrad had disciplined some football players accused of raping a woman, but did not report the incident to his supervisors."

Quarterback Jordan Johnson acquitted of rape.

So during Plugrad's tenure at Montana one football player was convicted of rape; one was acquitted and four were accused but not charged.

However, when you take into consideration that the DOJ investigation found that the U of Montana police dealt with investigations of sexual assault so poorly that they rose to the level of a civil rights violation the fact that one player was acquitted and four weren't charged is pretty meaningless. The handling of the allegations were not conducted in a manner in which convictions could reasonably happen.

http://www.justice.g...find_5-9-13.pdf

But you know, Pflugrad is exactly who we should be bringing in as a coach at UND. An AD would have to be crazy to take that chance.

I thought there was more significant issues than the Johnson charge and trial. While I think he would be a great HC for us, I don't see any way that this would happen based on his not reporting the rape accusations to his superiors. I may be wrong but, after the Hardee ordeal, I don't think Kelley or Faison would attempt to push him through our HR department.

100% agree. The only thing that makes any sense for me now is that he must be looking to hire someone not on the original list. IMO, if he takes all of this time and hires someone on the original list he is an absolute joke of an AD. If he hires outside of the list, then there was a method for his madness.

You know, I agree also. If Faison has a big name he is set on, then this wait is a bit more acceptable and validated. However, if he is strictly hiring someone off of the list, then this process has been a joke. I can still see how it would take over a month, because phone interviews and on-campus interviews still have to happen after the 15-day posting period. Nevertheless, taking over a month is way too long. Look at the list, take five days to interview top 3, and get it done. There is a benefit to getting this thing done early! Stability and future direction is important to not only supporters, but also the players. Oh, and also recruiting!

If not Pflugrad, I want someone not on the list. But I'm expecting someone on the list to be hired, and that means the duration of this process has been plain ridiculous.

The "9" is coming from UND HR. They score the applicants and send over the highest of those that fully meet the minimum criteria. -- No Aetna agents, no sandwich artists, and not gamers who use PowerPoint.

Now, to the better point: Prove to me that Mr. Faison is *not*:

(a) working someone to apply (the position is not closed for applications until filled), and

(b) working key alumni to get more money for a staff.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/former-griz-beau-donaldson-sentenced-to-prison-for-rape/article_1c1b49fa-5c2b-11e2-998c-001a4bcf887a.html

4 Montana football players accused of a gang rape potentially having drugged the woman; Pflugrad knows and doesn't tell his supervisors.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/um-dean-implicated-football-players-in-gang-rape-emails-reveal/article_166bb96a-a16c-11e1-8d36-001a4bcf887a.html

"But in January, UM President Royce Engstrom wrote in a draft of planned public remarks that then-Grizzlies football coach

Robin Pflugrad had disciplined some football players accused of raping a woman, but did not report the incident to his supervisors."

So during Plugrad's tenure at Montana one football player was convicted of rape; one was acquitted and four were accused but not charged.

However, when you take into consideration that the DOJ investigation found that the U of Montana police dealt with investigations of sexual assault so poorly that they rose to the level of a civil rights violation the fact that one player was acquitted and four weren't charged is pretty meaningless. The handling of the allegations were not conducted in a manner in which convictions could reasonably happen.

http://www.justice.gov/crt/about/spl/documents/missoulafind_5-9-13.pdf

But you know, Pflugrad is exactly who we should be bringing in as a coach at UND. An AD would have to be crazy to take that chance.

But all of that still doesn't make me want to wait over a month for a new coach.

So people honestly believe if Pflugrad was hired, Grand Forks would suddenly have more rapes than Williston? That's nonsense.

There's other quality leaders out there, just not on the list.

I think we all need to step back and see what happens before we hang someone out to dry. I don't think anyone know exactly what is happening or the reasons things being done. I trust Faison though.

I agree with this. There is a lot of angst based on internet message board guesses regarding what is happening behind the scenes. We really don't know.

http://www.justice.g...find_5-9-13.pdf

sheds a different light on the situation.

this would disqualify him from the final 9, imho

So people honestly believe if Pflugrad was hired, Grand Forks would suddenly have more rapes than Williston? That's nonsense.

Nice strawman. No the hiring of Pflugrad wouldn't turn players into rapists; however, it does suggest a failure of leadership and a coach who has little concern for the off field behavior of his students. Montana football had a sexual assault problem. Pflugrad failed to address it in a meaningful way. I've seen nothing from Pflugrad that suggests that he learned anything from the mess or taken any sort of responsibility for his handling of it. Somethings are way more important than winning a football game.

• Upvote 1

Folks, I said back after the debacle against Montana that the firing should've happened then, before the bye week. Many disagreed. I was willing to run out the season with an "interim" to avoid this.

I was thinking this very thought yesterday, and you were right. Had Muss been shown the door even by Nov. 1, the position could have been listed and a new guy on the ground by Dec 1.

I don't get the reason for waiting. Even if it's some big name coordinator who is coaching an upcoming bowl game, I would think he could still be named and hired. Look at what Wyoming did with Bohl. I see no reason we couldn't do the same thing.

And speaking of Bohl, NDSU gets totally blindsided by his leaving, yet they get someone in the job in 7 days, yes, 7 days. Faison knew months ago that Muss was done, and yet we don't have anyone a month after the firing. I can't foresee this dragging on another week or two, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Nice strawman. No the hiring of Pflugrad wouldn't turn players into rapists; however, it does suggest a failure of leadership and a coach who has little concern for the off field behavior of his students. Montana football had a sexual assault problem. Pflugrad failed to address it in a meaningful way. I've seen nothing from Pflugrad that suggests that he learned anything from the mess or taken any sort of responsibility for his handling of it. Somethings are way more important than winning a football game.

Agreed. Pretty disturbing

I was thinking this very thought yesterday, and you were right. Had Muss been shown the door even by Nov. 1, the position could have been listed and a new guy on the ground by Dec 1.

I don't get the reason for waiting. Even if it's some big name coordinator who is coaching an upcoming bowl game, I would think he could still be named and hired. Look at what Wyoming did with Bohl. I see no reason we couldn't do the same thing.

And speaking of Bohl, NDSU gets totally blindsided by his leaving, yet they get someone in the job in 7 days, yes, 7 days. Faison knew months ago that Muss was done, and yet we don't have anyone a month after the firing. I can't foresee this dragging on another week or two, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

NDSU didn't open to the public as they promoted from within. Had they opened up to a national search they would have had similar timeframes.

So who on our staff would have you promoted?

I can't foresee this dragging on another week or two, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

If a hire isn't made this week I can easily see it going into the week of Jan. 6 with the holidays midweek the following 2 weeks.

sheds a different light on the situation.

this would disqualify him from the final 9, imho

I can't say with certainty whether past off-the-field events should disqualify Pflugrad from getting the job. But I can say that I'm not comfortable with HR making that call. That is the call for nobody other than Faison or Kelley. Pflugrad is clearly qualified for this job. If Faison wants to pass on him due to those events, I can live with that. But if there is any truth the rumors that Pflugrad didn't make the final 9, as ordained by the all-powerful HR department based on their points system, then this process has some serious problems.

• Upvote 2

I can't say with certainty whether past off-the-field events should disqualify Pflugrad from getting the job. But I can say that I'm not comfortable with HR making that call. That is the call for nobody other than Faison or Kelley. Pflugrad is clearly qualified for this job. If Faison wants to pass on him due to those events, I can live with that. But if there is any truth the rumors that Pflugrad didn't make the final 9, as ordained by the all-powerful HR department based on their points system, then this process has some serious problems.

For allegations as serious as that I am more than comfortable with HR making the call. There is more to life then football and every institution needs to have ethical requirements.....I am actually a bit disgusted and concerned by some people who still want Pflu after the articles that we have read.

• Upvote 1

My coworker seems to think if he got the job he would try to reunite with a lot of the staff from USF.

How exciting. If he gets the job fine. But bring in qualified assistants. Faison is raising the salary pool for a reason, not to overpay for NAIA assistants.

For allegations as serious as that I am more than comfortable with HR making the call. There is more to life then football and every institution needs to have ethical requirements.....I am actually a bit disgusted and concerned by some people who still want Pflu after the articles that we have read.

Okay, I guess we'll just have to disagree fundamentally on the power HR should have in the hiring of a football coach.

I work for a large corporation (excess of $2 billion) and that is exactly what our HR department is for.

How exciting. If he gets the job fine. But bring in qualified assistants. Faison is raising the salary pool for a reason, not to overpay for NAIA assistants.

That staff kicked the crap out of ours from a coaching perspective. Wouldn't be my first choice but I have a ton of respect for him as a coach

• Upvote 1