SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

I am on the Pflu bandwagon at this time due to his experience and I feel he was a victim of the media monster that exists today. Not saying he is squeaky clean but I feel that we would not be able to acquire a coach of his caliber if that didn't happen.

That said I trust Faison will pull out the checkbook and make the right hire regardless of who it is. Exciting times are ahead.

Looks like gfhockey was right.

I also assume that Fritz and Oskie meant Bubba when they hinted at someone with deep UND ties. Although, I liked him when he was here and feel he is a excellent coach I'm still sold on Pflugrad.

SiouxFootballInsider@SiouxFootball1m

Hearing that former UND DC Bubba Schweigert has applied for the UND opening. Schweigert is currently the DC at Southern Illinois.

Certainly interesting. I just kind of feel the need to get fresh blood, not saying Bubba is not a good candidate at all though. I just feel Pflu is at least a notch above Bubba.

• Upvote 1

Don't really have time to look it up - was Bubba on the staff when Hoffner was a grad assistant? Wonder if Bubba comes in as HC whether Hoffner would come in as a coordinator. Might not be a bad thing.

Still not sold on Bubba as what we need, although he would hopefully help shore up the defense.

I think Pflugard is the way to go...Nothing against Bubba, but his time in SIU has not been one to be exceptionally proud of...Pflugard has an extensive background as a recruiter and we need to level the playing field in ND and surrounding states, especially since Bohl has owned us in ND for a while now and the favorite team is not UND for football at this time - it needs to change...I also think he brings in assistants with a history as good as Bubba's and I'm not sure Bubba will be able to do the same...my 2 cents. I think these are my measuring sticks when it comes to our new coach...

- Discipline: Must be able to enforce it and must also make the team respect discipline.

- Motivator: We need someone who can get this team and the community to believe once again it will beat NDSU on the field anywhere and anytime; Has to be a complete dragonslayer on the psychological side for our team.

- Recruiter: Has to sell the team and the system to the kids and their parents; needs to be on par or even dominate in ND; need to win the battle with our in-state rival for who is ND's football team!

- Leader: Must have respect of his team, but also his staff...Leaders will be followed and the community and university need to see a real leader in the position.

- Communicator: Must be comfortable talking to the community and the university; needs to accept the traditions of the team (Tailgating fans, the walk into the stadium, ex-coaches volunteering, the TD cowboy) and be able to effectively communicate why they are important to the program

If this coach can meet these, then I am certain the Wins will follow...

Debor as oc

Bubba as hc

Hoffner as dc

Get it done

Btw thats not what my source said. Just my dream.

Source did say bubba would bring some und good ole boys back...schmidt was named.

I would think if Schmidt came back it would be as DC. I wonder who he would bring back as OC?

Debor as oc

Bubba as hc

Hoffner as dc

Get it done

Btw thats not what my source said. Just my dream.

Source did say bubba would bring some und good ole boys back...schmidt was named.

Isn't Hoffner an offensive guy? He was South Dakota's offensive coordinator before he became Mankato's head coach.

So what will be the next statement we hear from Faison? Will it be an announcement of the new HC or will it be a list of finalists he's bringing in for interviews?

That's a good question. It would not surprise me if we don't officially hear a list of finalists like we always have in the old days. It seems almost demeaning to parade a candidate around to public meet-and-greet's and the like. That's not how it's done most places, and I hope we don't see it done here again. With that said, I think it's safe to say there will be leaks, and we'll probably hear who is actually interviewing on campus whether it's officially announced or not.

Don't really have time to look it up - was Bubba on the staff when Hoffner was a grad assistant? Wonder if Bubba comes in as HC whether Hoffner would come in as a coordinator. Might not be a bad thing.

Still not sold on Bubba as what we need, although he would hopefully help shore up the defense.

I think so. It appears Hoffner was a grad assistant at UND from 1989 to 1991. I think Bubba started at UND in 1989, according to his SIU bio that says he was an assistant at UND for 15 seasons before he took the head coaching job at UMD in 2004.

My source just said bubba is bringing schmidt...

However not a slam dunk deal hes hired.

Faison is doing is due diligence...no offer has been mad.

Please dont question my sources or ask who they are!

If Bubba is in fact chosen, what other UND guys does he bring in? Digger Anderson maybe?