SiouxSports.com Forum

Viewing options for Sioux hockey games this season

fightingsiouxfan86

Cable companies are very worried about the changes coming in viewing habits. I've read that viewers under 30 are trending toward using mobile devices and online viewing rather than paying for cable. Even older demographics like myself have started moving in that direction. Cable companies are looking at options like ala carte menus of channels, or allowing customers to buy only the channels they want instead of making everyone pay for set packages. Smart people running leagues, teams, or schools will look at all of the potential options and try new things like Roku. The difficult thing may be making multiple options work together for the broadest exposure.

I agree with all of this. The only speed bumps I can see are:

1. Dreaded TV Contract and licensing fees. It all seems like this would be a great thing to do on the surface, and don't get me wrong, it would be an amazing thing to do, but there are many moving parts below the surface that make it hard to do that. This is most likely the reason cable companies have been so hesitant to move to a ala carte style service, but, I'm with ya, it is something I would really love to see happen.

2. (and this one is more directed toward what UND can do) UND has been working at getting games on mobile devices for people. Jayson said that this year hockey games will be available for streaming on all apple and android mobile devices on the UND Sports app, which is huge for UND, especially since they are webcasting them in HD as well.

As far as streaming through other services, that is where we go back to #1. We don't know what kind of licensing deals UND has with Midco or Neulion or who ever else, but if UND ever did create an app for Roku or any other streaming service, it would most likely have to go through Neulion like they did for the iPhone and android apps. If everything goes well this year with streaming, I wouldn't see it being an issue for them wanting to expand and try new things.

For the record, I was never complaining about the tv deal this year. I mean, it sucks that it's not FCS anymore but we're in a new conference and that's to be expected. I started this post simply to learn what upgrades, if any, had been made to the webcast/broadcasts for und home games. The first response perfectly answered my questions. Frankly, the real issues with the broadcasts I believe was due to the cameras at the Ralph not being HD. If they've upgraded those then I expect the broadcasts will be greatly improved. I paid $13 a month for the sports package last year through directv so I think the $63 for UND insider might actually be a better deal provided the webcasts work well. Again, thanks to those who responded with helpful input. Go Sioux!!

For the record, I was never complaining about the tv deal this year. I mean, it sucks that it's not FCS anymore but we're in a new conference and that's to be expected. I started this post simply to learn what upgrades, if any, had been made to the webcast/broadcasts for und home games. The first response perfectly answered my questions. Frankly, the real issues with the broadcasts I believe was due to the cameras at the Ralph not being HD. If they've upgraded those then I expect the broadcasts will be greatly improved. I paid $13 a month for the sports package last year through directv so I think the $63 for UND insider might actually be a better deal provided the webcasts work well. Again, thanks to those who responded with helpful input. Go Sioux!!

Most of us understood your question was asked and answered with one post. Then southpaw again started the sh*!storm over TV, etc.

Looking at this (link below), it seems we should be able to stream via Neulion on mobile devices, gaming devices, and on Roku and Apple TV. At $99 for Apple TV, I'm especially interested in that option, but it would definitely be nice to be able to have all the details about how these different platforms work - specifically with UND sports live events.

http://www.neulion.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=30000&SPID=122708&SPSID=725711

Looking at this (link below), it seems we should be able to stream via Neulion on mobile devices, gaming devices, and on Roku and Apple TV. At $99 for Apple TV, I'm especially interested in that option, but it would definitely be nice to be able to have all the details about how these different platforms work - specifically with UND sports live events.

http://www.neulion.c...08&SPSID=725711

It looks like the originator, either UND or Midco, would have to set up the applications. Neulion can host them, but I don't think they provide the apps. So I don't think that they are available right now, although Jayson has said that they are working on the app for mobile devices.

It looks like the originator, either UND or Midco, would have to set up the applications. Neulion can host them, but I don't think they provide the apps. So I don't think that they are available right now, although Jayson has said that they are working on the app for mobile devices.

That is to me the most troubling - although I know nothing about it, it has certainly been already done by others - it is not without precedent - so why hasn't it already been done for UND Insder? Have they simply failed to find the right technical resources?

That is to me the most troubling - although I know nothing about it, it has certainly been already done by others - it is not without precedent - so why hasn't it already been done for UND Insder? Have they simply failed to find the right technical resources?

It may depend on the contracts already signed for television rights. Those contracts, with Midco and the NCHC contract with CBS Sports, may address where UND can provide additional content. For instance, they may allow the online and mobile devices but not allow using other devices to stream to televisions. Or, they may not address any of those. Or, UND may be trying to get the mobile device app put together first before they take on the next option. Maybe that's the next step. I don't see anything like UND Insider on Roku, so UND would be an innovator if they tried doing that.

It may depend on the contracts already signed for television rights. Those contracts, with Midco and the NCHC contract with CBS Sports, may address where UND can provide additional content. For instance, they may allow the online and mobile devices but not allow using other devices to stream to televisions. Or, they may not address any of those. Or, UND may be trying to get the mobile device app put together first before they take on the next option. Maybe that's the next step. I don't see anything like UND Insider on Roku, so UND would be an innovator if they tried doing that.

Then UND should do a better job of communicating what is possible and what is not (and why) - and specifically what the plan is going forward, giving regular progress reports. Giving technical details about how one can implement the new options would also help their cause considerably.

Then UND should do a better job of communicating what is possible and what is not (and why) - and specifically what the plan is going forward, giving regular progress reports. Giving technical details about how one can implement the new options would also help their cause considerably.

I don't think they are going to announce things that are just in the planning stages, and especially not things they are just thinking about. They have announced that they are working on something for mobile devices. They have announced all television options. They have the online options. They do a good job of keeping people aware of what is available.

I don't think they are going to announce things that are just in the planning stages, and especially not things they are just thinking about. They have announced that they are working on something for mobile devices. They have announced all television options. They have the online options. They do a good job of keeping people aware of what is available.

When you lose nationwide TV coverage of all home games for your premier athletic program, it's wise to do all you can to convince people you are actively pursuing alternatives beyond just traditional streaming (even if it is now in HD) - efforts to this point have been short of that IMHO.

When you lose nationwide TV coverage of all home games for your premier athletic program, it's wise to do all you can to convince people you are actively pursuing alternatives beyond just traditional streaming (even if it is now in HD) - efforts to this point have been short of that IMHO.

But if you start talking about things you are thinking about, some people will assume that they are actually going to happen. Maybe they can't happen. It's better to under promise rather than getting people's hopes up and not being able to follow through. I don't see things like Roku and gaming systems happening this year, so why cloud things by discussing them now? I think that UND has been very up front about what is probably going to be available this year.

I'm sorry for opening the can of worms again. I posted at 1 am so likely a drink or two in that night. It was an attempted preemptive strike as it seems every few months, people rehash the same info over and over.

I want UND hockey on TV all the time. I understand the frustrations but I believe UND is doing everything possible to improve the feed.

Shoot Jayson an email or PM about Roku option. I would gladly drop $100 for that choice.

But if you start talking about things you are thinking about, some people will assume that they are actually going to happen. Maybe they can't happen. It's better to under promise rather than getting people's hopes up and not being able to follow through. I don't see things like Roku and gaming systems happening this year, so why cloud things by discussing them now? I think that UND has been very up front about what is probably going to be available this year.

And I obviously disagree - when you can find the things I did on their streaming service provider's website, people are going to ask questions and wonder if those options are available and if not, why? It's better to be in front of it than to have people begin to speculate wildly, which never does anyone any good. It's surprising how much bad news people will accept when time is taken to fully explain the situation - at least that has been my experience. There will always be some that are just totally unreasonable and will never be satisfied regardless of the effort taken or the facts, but those people just have to be written off.

If you look, the current UND Sports App for iPhone and Android devices is made by Neulion, they seem to have the online streaming rights to UND. Jayson also said that the UND Sports apps for iPhone and Android will stream video of all of the men's hockey games done by Midco this year.

And I obviously disagree - when you can find the things I did on their streaming service provider's website, people are going to ask questions and wonder if those options are available and if not, why? It's better to be in front of it than to have people begin to speculate wildly, which never does anyone any good. It's surprising how much bad news people will accept when time is taken to fully explain the situation - at least that has been my experience. There will always be some that are just totally unreasonable and will never be satisfied regardless of the effort taken or the facts, but those people just have to be written off.

If you look closer, those are for some of their bigger clients....like the NHL, NFL, NBA, and UFC. Those are literally all the sports shown on all the "platforms" on that page, not one thing below a professional sports level was shown on that page.

If you look, the current UND Sports App for iPhone and Android devices is made by Neulion, they seem to have the online streaming rights to UND. Jayson also said that the UND Sports apps for iPhone and Android will stream video of all of the men's hockey games done by Midco this year.

If you look closer, those are for some of their bigger clients....like the NHL, NFL, NBA, and UFC. Those are literally all the sports shown on all the "platforms" on that page, not one thing below a professional sports level was shown on that page.

Does Neulion pay UND for the rights to stream UND athletics, or does UND pay Neulion for their services. My guess is that UND pays Neulion, possibly to include developing apps. The money comes from the fees paid by customers. But the party that pays would be the one that controls where the content is delivered.

Does Neulion pay UND for the rights to stream UND athletics, or does UND pay Neulion for their services. My guess is that UND pays Neulion, possibly to include developing apps. The money comes from the fees paid by customers. But the party that pays would be the one that controls where the content is delivered.

I would think it is UND paying Neulion since the Neulion made the UND Sports App, and Neulion provides server space for streaming games. I would also think that both Neulion and UND share in the fees paid by people on UND Insider, with Neulion, in return, providing somewhat of a discount.

That last sentence is purely speculation, but the first one is based a little more in fact.

Actually I was looking the other day on http://www.undsports...0&ATCLID=785161 and I see that it says:

Mobile

iPhone/iPod app

The North Dakota app not only has news, schedules, scores and more, but you can also listen to the games live and exclusive on-demand video from UND Insider, including press conferences, player and coach interviews, and much more.

Download the FREE North Dakota iPhone app in the iTunes App Store

5]
Live video and audio:
With an in-app upgrade and a UND Insider account, fans can now watch UND men's hockey and listen to all audio broadcasts.

Now this would lead me to believe that you should in theory be able to view the live game on your iPhone through the app which would then allow you to throw it up on Apple TV provided you have one. The live streaming video has to be available in QuickTime format since that is the standard codec for apple devices and I believe that is what is required for playback on apple TV. Last season when I purchased the webcast I was not able to watch it on my iPad due to the flash requirement but since they're now saying you can watch it live in the app that would mean the webcast is being offered in the QuickTime codec as well as flash. I don't know much about to Roku boxes but if you indeed can display it on the apple tv in HD that would be pretty awesome. I'll keep you guys posted.

Actually I was looking the other day on http://www.undsports...0&ATCLID=785161 and I see that it says:

Mobile

iPhone/iPod app

The North Dakota app not only has news, schedules, scores and more, but you can also listen to the games live and exclusive on-demand video from UND Insider, including press conferences, player and coach interviews, and much more.

Download the FREE North Dakota iPhone app in the iTunes App Store

5]
Live video and audio:
With an in-app upgrade and a UND Insider account, fans can now watch UND men's hockey and listen to all audio broadcasts.

Now this would lead me to believe that you should in theory be able to view the live game on your iPhone through the app which would then allow you to throw it up on Apple TV provided you have one. The live streaming video has to be available in QuickTime format since that is the standard codec for apple devices and I believe that is what is required for playback on apple TV. Last season when I purchased the webcast I was not able to watch it on my iPad due to the flash requirement but since they're now saying you can watch it live in the app that would mean the webcast is being offered in the QuickTime codec as well as flash. I don't know much about to Roku boxes but if you indeed can display it on the apple tv in HD that would be pretty awesome. I'll keep you guys posted.

Doesn't the app need to support Apple TV in order to broadcast it to your TV? Or would you just run it full screen on your iPad and mirror the screen to your TV?

I don't have one but I'm considering it.

I don't believe the app needs to support it. Any video you are viewing on your iPhone or iPad can be viewed on Apple TV as long as it uses the QuickTime codec or at least I think that's how it works. And it doesn't really mirror it but instead pushes the video feed to the apple TV display.

You should be able to airplay it to your TV. I have airplayed on-demand videos from the UND Sports app, and it worked just fine.

Given the big change in the broadcasting platform, it would be nice if UND would offer a "freeview" weekend of the opener against Manitoba so we could see how the service is going to perform. DirecTV gives subscribers the first week of NFL Sunday Ticket, NHL Center Ice, MLB Extra Innings, NBA League Pass for free.

It would be nice for those of us who remain "on the fence" to test out the the new inter-web backbone of UND broadcasts. I am reluctant to subscribe for the UND Insider at this point, since I still haven't been able to watch any of the UND Extra or North Dakota Hockey shows without constant buffering to this point. Although that "early bird" special that costs $4.00 more than last season is very tempting................................. :glare:

Given the big change in the broadcasting platform, it would be nice if UND would offer a "freeview" weekend of the opener against Manitoba so we could see how the service is going to perform. DirecTV gives subscribers the first week of NFL Sunday Ticket, NHL Center Ice, MLB Extra Innings, NBA League Pass for free.

It would be nice for those of us who remain "on the fence" to test out the the new inter-web backbone of UND broadcasts. I am reluctant to subscribe for the UND Insider at this point, since I still haven't been able to watch any of the UND Extra or North Dakota Hockey shows without constant buffering to this point. Although that "early bird" special that costs $4.00 more than last season is very tempting................................. :glare:

Would be nice but we've been warned that if it doesn't work well right away, it will be tweaked to work as time goes on, so, giving away a free poor product is probably not going to happen, for obvious reasons. I bought the early bird, and will be very disappointed if it doesn't work well right away, as the Big Sky network does.

http://www.undsports...TCLID=209242263

TV will be in HD, so I hope the neulion stream is as well. Since neulion has been doing both pro and college sports, there is no reason that it shouldn't work, unless there are problems at the UND end.

Would be nice but we've been warned that if it doesn't work well right away, it will be tweaked to work as time goes on, so, giving away a free poor product is probably not going to happen, for obvious reasons. I bought the early bird, and will be very disappointed if it doesn't work well right away, as the Big Sky network does.

http://www.undsports...TCLID=209242263

TV will be in HD, so I hope the neulion stream is as well. Since neulion has been doing both pro and college sports, there is no reason that it shouldn't work, unless there are problems at the UND end.

Hopefully UND is able to show Neulion the subscriber numbers and they will allocate the proper resources instead of assuming no one is going to watch college hockey.

Not sure if this is the right forum for my question....

I am trying to figure out how to use my VGA cord to connect my computer to my tv. When I open the video up and select the "full" option, there is still a black boarder around the video so it is not a true full screen. Is there any way to get rid of the black boarder?