SiouxSports.com Forum

Gwoz resigns

dmksioux

It doesn't get much more Maine than Jim Montgomery. Whitehead was canned after Gwoz was let go. The fact that a Maine guy takes the DU job tells me that Maine might be thinking Gwoz has been their man all along.

I think Maine will go after Greg Cronin

It doesn't get much more Maine than Jim Montgomery. Whitehead was canned after Gwoz was let go. The fact that a Maine guy takes the DU job tells me that Maine might be thinking Gwoz has been their man all along.

After scoring 301 points at Maine he only played in 122 NHL games over a 12 year pro career. Interesting. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=3779

32 goals and 63 assists in his senior year. Wow.

Well, he *did* have Paul Kariya at LW.

The guy who has the inside track for the Maine job is actually already in Orono -- former Blackbear (and Devil and Duck) Bob Corkum. Hiring him would be the path of least resistance, and the university administration seems to be all about the path of least resistance.

There's history with Cronin, yes, but it isn't all good history. I'm not sure anyone seriously wants to hire him. I'm also not sure he'd even be interested. Scott Pellerin seems to be happy coaching the AHL. Gwoz (my choice) is a total wildcard. Eric Weinrich played for ages in the NHL, but he met with the AD as an informal consultant leading up to Whitehead getting fired, which suggests to me that he wasn't interested in the job personally, but was willing to provide references. The other Maine player with ties to the "glory days" who played a ton of games in the NHL is Keith Carney. I don't think he has any coaching experience at all. So he's out.

Maybe someone will show up out of left field and interview. Unless something like that happens, I'd put the odds at: Corkum (85%), Gwoz (10%), and the field at 5%

• Upvote 1

The guy who has the inside track for the Maine job is actually already in Orono -- former Blackbear (and Devil and Duck) Bob Corkum. Hiring him would be the path of least resistance, and the university administration seems to be all about the path of least resistance.

Maybe someone will show up out of left field and interview. Unless something like that happens, I'd put the odds at: Corkum (85%), Gwoz (10%), and the field at 5%

We agree to disagree. I don't think Maine's first choice is a guy who sits on Whitehead's own staff. Gwoz is practically begging for the job. I will be stunned if he's not the top choice.

Yesterday, I thought most things were pointing to Gwoz in Maine. Today, I'm not so sure. While he may be at the top of Maine's list, I wouldn't be surprised if Ohio State is at the top of his.

Yep. Gwoz to OSU. Corkum to re/Maine.

The silly thing is Maine could have (and should have) made a big run at Gwoz. Maine actually had a somewhat respectable second half this season. There was no reason to fire Whitehead in April that wasn't there last December. If they had done the interim thing 4 months ago, and not dragged their feet, they might have had a shot at the best coaching free agent since Blais and Jackson a few years back.

re: Kariya

I'm not going to get into any "greatest" talk. Too many different definitions of great. I'll just say I've never seen anything else like it: Joins the team at 17, scores 100 points as a freshman. That was a different time, granted, but 100 points is just stupid-good for a normal age freshman.

To each his own, but I'm taking Tony Hrkac.

I have to go with Brett Hull. He was downright scary. A fast skilled skater, a cannon of a slapshot, and a wrist shot that was harder than most people's slapshots. I was scared he was going to score every time he touched the puck.