SiouxSports.com Forum

Gwoz resigns

dmksioux

It'll be interesting, that's sure. If your salary is determined by your best *other* offer, Gwoz must be smiling. Better to be interviewing for two jobs than just for one.

Re Hrkac, never seen anything like the circus (crkac?) , either

I have a feeling that budget and power might be 2 big factors in his next job, OSU could fit those qualifications pretty well.

ill be surprised if ohio state signs gwoz if the reasons in the press release are true, but if they do- who would have predicted THAT heading into the first year of the newly competing nchc/big ten conferences? it would be very interested to see how the next few years play out with recruiting between miami of ohio and ohio state

You're assuming Ohio State wants to throw big bucks at its hockey program. I guess we'll find out...

I am assuming that, they like being a player in other sports and if they're serious about winning the B1G getting Gwoz would be a good start. I can't imagine they won't throw more money towards it than Maine could.

You're assuming Ohio State wants to throw big bucks at its hockey program. I guess we'll find out...

It sounds like that was part of the reason Osiecki was fired, sounds like he thought the program needed updates and more to be more successful and the AD wasn't to swift on making that happen. If I was Gwoz I would be very cautious about taking the Ohio State job, remember this season they were kicked out of their own building by high school activities when they should have been hosting a playoff series there.

It sounds like that was part of the reason Osiecki was fired, sounds like he thought the program needed updates and more to be more successful and the AD wasn't to swift on making that happen. If I was Gwoz I would be very cautious about taking the Ohio State job, remember this season they were kicked out of their own building by high school activities when they should have been hosting a playoff series there.

Exactly. Gwoz can be a big fish in a little pond on campus in Orono...or he can be a 'who's that guy?' in Columbus.

Nope. They were surprised when I told them he wasn't one of the top four contenders.

Clearly, they don't know much about Gwoz's coaching career. If a school doesn't think a coach like Gwoz is good enough, they sure are heck aren't going to hand over the reigns to a coach like Whitehead.

On a semi-related note, I guess the DU administration finally answered some questions today at the press conference about Montgomery's hiring. Denver Post said they'd have an article up soon.

I have to go with Brett Hull. He was downright scary. A fast skilled skater, a cannon of a slapshot, and a wrist shot that was harder than most people's slapshots. I was scared he was going to score every time he touched the puck.

I remember watching play for the Dogs. Yeah, he was scary.

I'd take Dave Spehar. Nobody could get into the offensive zone, park his a$$ in front of the net, let his teammates do all the work, cherry pick a few goals and look like a hero the way he could...

:lol:

Here's the link to the "official story" on Gwoz's ouster:

http://www.denverpos...-contract-talks

No national titles since 2005. What a travesty, eh Peg? DU was a doormat for years and Gwoz brought your school back from the dead. Oh well, maybe the next head coach will put your cracking egg logo back on the jerseys and re-kindle the 'Pioneer' spirit.

I'd take Dave Spehar. Nobody could get into the offensive zone, park his a$$ in front of the net, let his teammates do all the work, cherry pick a few goals and look like a hero the way he could...

:lol:

His senior year at UM, Spehar did not have a single 5 X 5 goal the entire season until the WCHA Final Five. I remember that he took a lot of heat for that.

No national titles since 2005. What a travesty, eh Peg? DU was a doormat for years and Gwoz brought your school back from the dead. Oh well, maybe the next head coach will put your cracking egg logo back on the jerseys and re-kindle the 'Pioneer' spirit.

Gopher fans must be terrified he will end up in the Big 10. DU has owned the Gophers the past several years.

Gopher fans must be terrified he will end up in the Big 10. DU has owned the Gophers the past several years.

Owned is an uderstatement. But I would actually love to see Ohio State become relevant in hockey. Recognizable big name schools doing well is good for the sport and it's growth.

Owned is an uderstatement. But I would actually love to see Ohio State become relevant in hockey. Recognizable big name schools doing well is good for the sport and it's growth.

I am not sure how big schools being good in hockey is good for hockey? This season, there wasn't any big schools int he Frozen Four, yet it survived without any of the big schools. Until OSU makes a commitment to anything other than Football and basketball they will continue to be a second rung school. Just for the record, they already had a good coach and they let him go.

Edited by Goon

I'd like OSU to fail miserably and drop hockey. Allowing the BTH to disband.

Like X 100.

Rumor out of Columbus is that Osiecki was fired for asking OSU's AD for an extra $50 to help fix a couple of broken helmet visors after their CCHA semi-final loss. This was shortly after Urban Meyer's request for $1 billion dollars for football stadium weight-room renovations was approved.

And then watch Minnesota beg the NCHC to join! Or better yet, go crawling back to the WCHA. :lol:

It would be the WCHA. They could claim that they are supporting the other MN schools (except for UMD) and then they also wouldn't have to play UND.