SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

The amount of talent on some of his teams is almost sickening. High round draft picks up the ass. First rounders on the 4th line. Studs all over the ice.

...because we all know that being a high round or first round draft choice is a sure-fire sign of your college and NHL future. For example, Brian Lawton...oh, wait...well, Patrick Stefan...dang, ok, wait, I have one, Radek Bonk, groan...nevermind...

...because we all know that being a high round or first round draft choice is a sure-fire sign of your college and NHL future. For example, Brian Lawton...oh, wait...well, Patrick Stefan...dang, ok, wait, I have one, Radek Bonk, groan...nevermind...

Parise Toews Oshie Chorney Greene Zajac Forbort Nelson Kozek Stafford Kristo Scmaltz Grimaldi Smaby. That's plenty of talent. I didn't even mention productive lower rounders or first rounders that sucked like Finley and Lee. Most coaches would've killed for those players.

• Upvote 2

Parise Toews Oshie Chorney Greene Zajac Forbort Nelson Kozek Stafford Kristo Scmaltz Grimaldi Smaby. That's plenty of talent. I didn't even mention productive lower rounders or first rounders that sucked like Finley and Lee. Most coaches would've killed for those players.

Lee was the first player to come to my mind after reading MM's post above.

Phil Kessel, Ryan Potulny, Erik Johnson, Kyle Okposo, Blake Wheeler, Nick Leddy, Jim O'Brien, Ryan Stoa, etc. Most coaches would've killed for those players as well. Erik Johnson was taken ahead of Toews, Blake Wheeler was a higher pick than anybody but Toews.

I'd leave Kozek off that list and put Frattin on there.

Phil Kessel, Ryan Potulny, Erik Johnson, Kyle Okposo, Blake Wheeler, Nick Leddy, Jim O'Brien, Ryan Stoa, etc. Most coaches would've killed for those players as well. Erik Johnson was taken ahead of Toews, Blake Wheeler was a higher pick than anybody but Toews.

And I've leave Jim O'Brien off that list and put Bjugstad on there.

Interesting story about Jim O'Brien, though...he was among a group of healthy scratch players for the Ottawa Senators (in town to play the Bruins) who had planned to attend the 2013 Boston Marathon - and stand near the finish line. The group decided to 86 the idea of going to watch the race and instead stayed in their hotel and took a nap instead.

Interesting story about Jim O'Brien, though...he was among a group of healthy scratch players for the Ottawa Senators (in town to play the Bruins) who had planned to attend the 2013 Boston Marathon - and stand near the finish line. The group decided to 86 the idea of going to watch the race and instead stayed in their hotel and took a nap instead.

Bjugstad..... Talented enough to be Eric Lindros 2.0....... Soft enough to be a gopher.

• Upvote 1

got ya, I would still leave Kozek off though, as he did virtually nothing his entire career until he was paired with a current olympic hero and a hobey baker winner.

He was a better play than his production. Still solid though. The main difference with him and Frattin was he didn't hit the net as much with his howitzer and Frattin did. Also Frattin had serious wheels.

But my point is that Minnesota had a lot of high draft picks too. Jim OBrien was drafted about the same position as Brock Nelson was, and Erik Johnson higher. So, if people want to make the argument because of where Oshie and Toews are at now in their career that they would make a Frozen Four just by talent alone, then Minnesota had just as many highly touted players. Just because they didn't turn out like Toews and Oshie doesn't mean that UND should have gone all the way, while Minnesota gets a pass. To the contrary, it means that those players must have developed better under Hakstol. I think that whole argument was based on how Oshie and Toews have turned out, even though they were not men amongst boys at the college level all the time, especially very early on.

But my point is that Minnesota had a lot of high draft picks too. Jim OBrien was drafted about the same position as Brock Nelson was, and Erik Johnson higher. So, if you want to make the argument because of where Oshie and Toews are at now in their career that they would make a Frozen Four just by talent alone, then Minnesota had just as many highly touted players. Just because they didn't turn out like Toews and Oshie doesn't mean that UND should have gone all the way, while Minnesota gets a pass. To the contrary, it means that those players must have developed better under Hakstol. I think that whole argument was based on how Oshie and Toews have turned out, even though they were not men amongst boys at the college level all the time, especially very early on.

http://www.uscho.com/stats/overall/division-i-men/2005-2006/

But Potulny still put up better numbers. I never said they were slouches, but you make them out to be head and shoulders above everybody else and that wasn't the case.

They weren't? I seem to remember they were. And they played defense. Really good defense, especially Toews and Oshie.

Except that Frattin was bigger, stronger, had a better shot, and was the best player in the nation his senior year...yes, very similar

Kozek was a good player. His shot was harder than Frattins but it didn't go in as often. Also his role was a lot different because of the guys in front of him. And it's not like Kozek was a bean pole. There's a reason he was a second round pick. He was good.

Kozek was a good player. His shot was harder than Frattins but it didn't go in as often. Also his role was a lot different because of the guys in front of him. And it's not like Kozek was a bean pole. There's a reason he was a second round pick. He was good.

I agree, good player for sure but Frattin was on another level. But I don't remember Kozek being near as dominant when it came to the physical aspect of the game. Kozek did have a laser wrister but couldn't score anywhere close to Frattin numbers.

Kozek had an NHL shot (equally as good as frattins in my opinion) however that is where it ends. He could score every once in awhile but the guy had no vision whatsoever. He was on good teams though.