SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs Niagara - NCAA 1st round

AZSIOUX

I'm guessing it will be a ccha or hockey east crew. Hopefully a huge hit isn't a penalty.

But we've seen it all too common in the NCAA tournament. Don't hit anyone too hard.

Do you remember when porter rolled that BC guy when they for within 1 goal I believe it was in f4? Was that st louis?? That's one big hit I recall. did he got interference, charging or cross check? Ha can't recall that part

Do you remember when porter rolled that BC guy when they for within 1 goal I believe it was in f4? Was that st louis?? That's one big hit I recall. did he got interference, charging or cross check? Ha can't recall that part

I remember they were playing BC Porter's senior year and someone got the worst elbowing penalty in the history of elbowing penalties that gave BC a 5-3 which lead to the game winner. :glare:

I remember they were playing BC Porter's senior year and someone got the worst elbowing penalty in the history of elbowing penalties that gave BC a 5-3 which lead to the game winner. :glare:

Ha yup that sounds about right. Was sitting in that corner but for whatever reason couldn't remember exact details :)

The Mac truck is going to spin a couple purple eagles around out there. Lets just hope the refs know what a big hit is :) guessing they will be hockey east or ccha refs

It doesn't seem to matter what refs are used, if Mac hits a guy and the guy stays down Macs gonna get called, really irritating to watch. Either college hockey is becoming a wousy sport or the refs just don't want the sioux to be physical!

Finley...at 6'8" every hit was "high" by him that game. Horrible call IMO.

We have beaten numerous teams throughout the years - even when NCAA "Sally" reffing was in play! We will get some bad calls against us in the next (4) games, but we just need to stay on our game and use that anger as motivation! Motivation to put so many pucks on the net that opposing goalies cannot think and become razzled. IMO we need more pucks on net and less of the 3rd-4th passes to make a "pretty" goal. Remember way back when we beat Mich Tech 5-0? Lots of pressure, never let them steal an errant pass, and kept them back on their heels and not able to use their speed against our D. Our suspect netminding cannot give up soft goals while their goalies are scrambling to cover up the plethera of shots we are taking and the opponents D is icing everything just to get to the bench and get some Oxygen. 12 periods of this hockey and here's #8. Fighting Sioux Forever!

We have beaten numerous teams throughout the years - even when NCAA "Sally" reffing was in play! We will get some bad calls against us in the next (4) games, but we just need to stay on our game and use that anger as motivation! Motivation to put so many pucks on the net that opposing goalies cannot think and become razzled. IMO we need more pucks on net and less of the 3rd-4th passes to make a "pretty" goal. Remember way back when we beat Mich Tech 5-0? Lots of pressure, never let them steal an errant pass, and kept them back on their heels and not able to use their speed against our D. Our suspect netminding cannot give up soft goals while their goalies are scrambling to cover up the plethera of shots we are taking and the opponents D is icing everything just to get to the bench and get some Oxygen. 12 periods of this hockey and here's #8. Fighting Sioux Forever!

The Sunday night Tech game is the way this team has to play to have any chance of winning 4 straight. Play fast and with edge but smart. Pucks to the net early and often is key. We tried to get too fancy vs. CC, made some horrible mistakes with the puck, got less than stellar goaltending and left the outcome of the game to a bounce. That is a recipe for one and done!

The Sunday night Tech game is the way this team has to play to have any chance of winning 4 straight. Play fast and with edge but smart. Pucks to the net early and often is key. We tried to get too fancy vs. CC, made some horrible mistakes with the puck, got less than stellar goaltending and left the outcome of the game to a bounce. That is a recipe for one and done!

that has been a problem this year. when they try and get too fancy they struggle, when they play smart good things happen.

Yep. Kind of like college football with the bowl games. UND will either get CCHA, or hockey east officials I'm guessing.

In years past the HE refs haven't been a good thing for UND because they don't see the physical play guys like Blood, Malone, etc... bring to the game and we end up getting more penalties than we normally would in WCHA play, and the players have to adjust somewhat. This year should be better because other than Mac (who gets called for everything anyway) we play less physically and more of a style they're used to seeing, which should keep us out of the box.

I'm hoping that anyway.

I keep wondering about these lines...we stacked a line of elite talent (DOT) and failed to win it. The NCAA tournament will be about 3 lines, with a fourth line maybe getting 5 minutes TOI to spell the other boys...think 20 minutes, 20 minutes, 15 minutes, and 5 minutes.

I think we're nuts to split up the Pattyn line that played so well vs CC. So Pattyn, Cags and St. Clair will log 15 minutes of ice and hopefully play +1 hockey.

Do we play Rocco with Danny and Corban? I keep waffling on this. IMO for playoff hockey we really have 3 choices:

Knight with Kristo and Rocco

Rowney with Parks and Easy Mac

or

Knight with Kristo and Easy Mac

Rowney with Parks and Rocco

or

Knight with Kristo and Parks

Rowney with Easy Mac and Rocco

I almost like that third combo best. In that scenario, we have Parks working down low to free up time and space for Danny and Corban and maybe get a wraparound himself...we also need to get him going. Then we have Rowney doing the same in order to free up time and space for Easy Mac and Rocco. Easy Mac and Rocco can both fly when turned loose, so maybe they can turn it up a notch in transition...

I think Gaarder, Rodwell, and Mitch Mac anchor a fourth line and simply look to forecheck and not get caught up ice. No goals for, no goals against.

I think Gaarder, Rodwell, and Mitch Mac anchor a fourth line and simply look to forecheck and not get caught up ice. No goals for, no goals against.

Why not take the whole leap ...

St. Clair Gaarder Caggiula

Pattyn Rodwell MitchMac <-- in this scenario I'd sit MitchMac for Jim

Back to the larger point:

In NCAA play the pace of play ... slows .... way ..... way ...... way ....... down (because of their different TV timeout standards compared to regular season play).

I think that hurts deep teams that rolled four lines all season.

In NCAA play you can get away with "two lines and a spare forward" <cough-Duluth-cough-2011-cough-cough> and can drop down to five defensemen earlier than usual.

Will Hakstol make that adjustment this year?

I think after the way he played the last two games, Caggiula needs Top-9 playing time for sure, and maybe even Top-6 time. Maybe play him with Kristo and Knight? That is one combination that hasn't been tried much this year.

I also like the idea of "Mo" and I don't mean Mike Modano (although he would also be useful for us).

If we have a big offensive zone face-off or need to up the energy, it is a boost to move Rocco up to the first line. Maybe that is the method to the madness.

I just don't think that we can continue with O'Donnell on that line...it isn't working.

I think after the way he played the last two games, Caggiula needs Top-9 playing time for sure, and maybe even Top-6 time. Maybe play him with Kristo and Knight? That is one combination that hasn't been tried much this year.

Last time this happened, Drake went from first line to healthy scratch the next night. Not sure what to make of it, but its how it played out.