SiouxSports.com Forum

Fargo Sioux Boosters

schmidtdoggydog

DB was introduced by an assistant AD who indicated UND has been ranked #1 in the nation for ten straight weeks! DB then added that the hockey team hasn't lost in two months.

A lot of talk right away about how strong the WCHA is at this point. DB said that six or seven of the top 10 teams are from the WCHA. He pointed to Denver which is 10-0 nonconference but stands in sixth place in the league as an example of the strength of the league. He then referenced Minnesota and said that even though they had a rough start they've defeated Michigan, Mich. State, New Hampshire and twice tied Boston - four pretty solid programs.

He talked about how the rest of the country would be upset if the season ended right now because of all the WCHA teams that would have to be in the 16-team tournament under the current system.

DB then shifted gears and talked about academics. He said the administration at UND is making a push toward a minimum 22 score on the ACT for admission into the school. He said UND has great administration, but such a move would hurt all the athletic programs with bringing in recruits.

He said by moving to minimum score of 22, UND will have higher admission standards than many of the Ivy league schools.

He pointed out that 17 current hockey players finished with GPA's over 3.0 last semester, but only 4 had ACT scores above 22. He said Parise finished with a 3.7, but scored a 20 on his ACT and Stafford had a 3.6 and 21 on his ACT and said under the new proposal neither of those two could be accepted into UND.

He did stress that the issue is being addressed and the concerns raised by the athletic departments are being considered. He said that one player is having some struggles with a very difficult major, but has decided to switch majors and eligibility should not be an issue - and no, the player is not ZP or BB!

DB talked a bit about the goaltending and took out a sheet and read off the name of the UND starting netminder for each game already played. He noted that there is no pattern or rhyme or reason to the netminder that starts. He said he can basically flip a coin at this point. He said in recent years goaltending has been a big concern, but not this year.

He asked who had been at last Saturday's game and many hands went up - he then paused before using a very appropriate adjective to describe the officiating on Saturday. He said he called Bruce McLeod to discuss the issue and when Bruce finally got back to him, DB was told that he was rattled due to the high number of emails he had received regarding the officiating. BM told Blais that he has never received such a large volume of emails, as such DB was told that the concerns would have to be addressed before it gets any more out of hand.

DB said that Derek Sheppard will be reffing the Sioux/Gopher series in the TC and Don Adam will have the UND/Denver series in GF. He mentioned that Adam did the series in Denver this year and UND managed to get out of there with their lives, but that they played so well that the officiating didn't matter.

He then talked about ZP and said that just because he is ZP it is not acceptable for him to be checked from behind into the boards without a call being made (for the record his comments weren't sour grapes, just matter of fact). He said the Devils have been following ZP closely this year and they are appalled at the treatment he receives on the ice and the rough stuff he has to fight through without penalties being called. He said if it is allowed to continue, New Jersey will NOT allow ZP to continue playing college hockey. He also said that if Matt Greene did the things UND's opponents do game in and game out that he would spend entire games in the penalty box.

He said the NJ scouts had nothing but superlatives for Parise at the WJC and agreed that he deserved the MVP. NJ's current fourth line center played in the WJC and was outplayed by a considerable margin by ZP.

He said money is not an issue with NJ and he is very concerned about losing Parise after this season based on his recent play, the comments of the NJ scouts and the abuse Parise is having to endure on the ice during WCHA play.

He said that if Parise signed with the Devils for the playoffs and performs well and they make it to the next round then the monetary benefits reaped by the organization greatly exceeds a million bucks.

He said if the situation isn't right in NJ he won't leave though and the same goes for Bochenski with Ottawa. He said they are both having a blast right now and enjoying playing on this team. He said that the recent trend has been for UND's underclassmen to leave and go right to the NHL. He pointed to Hale and Bayda as two examples and said that Roche is an exception but he didn't play right away because he didn't train hard enough to make the big club.

He did mention that BB has to be the front runner for the Hobey at this point.

He mentioned that all the players got quite a boost from the return of the three from the WJC. He said even the players that will now lose icetime were excited to have them back especially with the gold medal around their necks.

Someone asked DB if he has ever had a team as deep as this one and he said not since 1982. He said this is clearly the deepest team he's had in the last ten years here. Someone asked if it is as deep as 1987 and he said deeper. He said '87 was an extremely talented squad with great goaltending, but they were not as deep.

DB then mentioned that as of today, UND's fourth line is Prpich-Lundbohm-Massen!

He noted that despite the wealth of talented forwards - he called UND a scoring machine and pointed to them leading the nation is scoring - UND's real strength thus far has been defense and goaltending. He said the six d-men that have been playing have done a great job and noted that at least six times UND has held opponents to under 20 shots.

He said this is the most pleasant, polite and well-mannered group he has ever coached and said it is not something he has forced on them, they just are that way.

He noted that the players still get up early and head to the rink to skate for a half-hour or longer before showering and heading to class. It was obvious that he was pleased that they do that while not be required to do so. He also noted that as of yet none of the players have had to get up early and run at 6:00 a.m. because of missing classes.

He said that this week they will load up on pizzas and hit the road Wednesday night. They will stay in Duluth and leave from there on Thursday morning for Houghton. He said they love playing in Houghton. He mentioned that there will probably be 150" of snow and it is the only place they play where you can hear snowmobiles being ridden throughout the night, but they love going there.

That is about it or least all I can remember. For those interested and in the area, the next meeting will be on Tuesday, February 3, 2004, at noon in a banquent room at the Kelly Inn in Fargo on the southwest corner of Main Avenue and I-29! Arrive early and lunch is served.

Nice to see the emails "could" have some affect. Unbelievable that NJ may get ZP to leave early to avoid the mauling that is allowed to occur on a weekly basis. Not suprised at the email numbers after the UAA series. I've never seen any team attempt what UAA did, much less get away with it. Not even close to Denver's tackling that occured last year, which at the time was the worst I'd seen.

Don't look forward to little Shepard and Adam. Is Campion the only hope for a fair officiated game now in the WCHA?

A bit surprised at the ACT scores of those coming from SSM. I had the idea that was a prep school of sorts.

Great thread, SDD... not so great news about New Jersey and ZP.

I can take a bit of solace in the fact that gopher fans hate Derek Shepherd as much as we do. At least that was my take after the FF last year...

he then paused before using a very appropriate adjective to describe the officiating on Saturday

Tell it like it is, Blais!

I think it's telling the Devils are worried about Zach, given the intensity of their game. Then again, if he took that crap in the NHL, Messrs. Stevens and Hale would probably punish the clown into a bright red spot on the ice ... and no, ref it's not a new face-off dot. :glare:

Two WCHA officiating standards: One for teams with talent, and one for teams with no talent. :lol:

Great recap, thanks!

I will pat myself on the back by saying that in my email to BM one of the things I mentioned was that I thought if star players in the WCHA are getting mauled and mistreated they may be more apt to leave early for the pros.

I see Coach validated my opinion on that matter, but I am greatly concerned to hear how it may yet come to pass.

Not good, but understandable.

I think we better bring home the hardware this year, boys...

Unbelievable that NJ may get ZP to leave early to avoid the mauling that is allowed to occur on a weekly basis.

The main thing that drove Ryan Bayda out of college hockey were the maulings he took in his junior year. When it came right down to it, he had to decide on staying in college (because he enjoyed it) or taking the money before he was seriously hurt. Ballard was the guy who helped him make the decision. Ballard was allowed to constantly chop at Bayda's arms and ankles without any calls. If it wouldn't have been for that, Bayda would have most likely stayed for his senior year.

Now it looks like they'll drive Parise out of the league also.

Two minor things I neglected to mention:

The NHL CBA was discussed and DB said he has spoken with at least one NHL GM and he said a lockout is going to happen. DB then deferred to someone in the audience who evidently has some inside information regarding the lockout (I am sorry that I didn't catch the individual's name) and he said that the players believe it will last at least six months and the owners believe it will last at least one year. At this point, the sides are very far apart.

On a different note, Global Vision or Global Television out of Winnipeg is producing a twenty-minute or so documentary comparing and contrasting Major Juniors and college hockey and UND is the college program to be focused.

The production team is following the Brandon, Manitoba team for about a week and then will travel to GF to gather information about UND, and interview coaches and players. DB said it should provide UND good exposure and should be an interesting production and he seemed very excited about UND's involvement.

The completed segment is supposed to air as part of an upcoming Hockey Night in Canada broadcast. They hope to release information on the fightingsioux.com website regarding broadcasts date(s) and time(s).

The NHL CBA was discussed and DB said he has spoken with at least one NHL GM and he said a lockout is going to happen. DB then deferred to someone in the audience who evidently has some inside information regarding the lockout (I am sorry that I didn't catch the individual's name) and he said that the players believe it will last at least six months and the owners believe it will last at least one year. At this point, the sides are very far apart.

FWIW: A few larger NY banks have recently formed lending syndicates to provide the NHL teams at least one year of working capital in the event of a strike/lockout to ensure debt service and pay other non-player expenses. If a work stoppage lasts longer than that, given state of many teams' finances, it is conceivable to see more file bankruptcy. Then again, the same can be said if they maintain their current economic myopia. :lol::glare:

Geez Schmidt, do you tape record these meetings? :lol: Thanks for the info.

Thanks Scmidtty...great job. Rivals PCM's coaches show recaps :glare:

I hope that McCleod finds out the Devils are not happy with the treatment of ZP and all the non-calls. I'd hate to see Parise leave next year because NJ feels he is safer in the AHL.

Hey folks, I want to say one thing: keep the faith. Looking at what Blais said makes it very easy to get the doomsday belief that Zach is gone after this year. Maybe he will, but maybe he won't. We have to hope that he stays. We can't let ourselves believe that he is going to leave after this season or well, it just isn't right.

Keep the faith folks. And if someone on this board, member or visitor, reads this note and knows Zach, let him know we are hoping he stays and battles through the maulings and continues to wow the college crowd.

A bit surprised at the ACT scores of those coming from SSM. I had the idea that was a prep school of sorts.

Nice work on the recap Schmidty. When I took the ACT the average score was around 19 or 20. For a rural public institution to make a rule like this makes no sense. I would think at least 1/5 of the current student body would not be admitted. I wonder if the rule would only apply to out of state students? This would still hurt the sports recruiting. I believe most schools make exceptions for atheletes in there admission requirments. As an undergrad at NDSU some of the football players functioned at about a 3rd grade level.

I think we better bring home the hardware this year, boys...

I agree with this with all the possible people leaving after this season:

Palmo, Lundbohm, and Hale gone for sure.

Bochenski, Greene, Jones, ZParise, and Schneider all possibilities of leaving.

Not good, but I guess we'll have to do as redwing77 says and just keep the faith. :glare:

When I took the ACT the average score was around 19 or 20. For a rural public institution to make a rule like this makes no sense. I would think at least 1/5 of the current student body would not be admitted.

I agree, and I think your score depends somewhat on your test-taking abilities, not just in how smart you are. When I was in high school, there was a girl in my calculus class who was the ONLY one who seemed to be able to finish every assignment and was very book smart. I couldn't believe it when she told me she only got like a 24 on her ACT. I felt like the dumbest person in that class, and I even got a higher score than that.

I think a lot of people with potential to better themselves would be turned away, as well as good athletes.

I spoke with Coach Blais for a little bit after Booster meeting and he is VERY concerned about both the ACT thing and Zach being lured to the NHL. I asked him if the Devils would invest $1,000,000 just to have Zach come in late this year for a playoff run, even if they thought the 04-05 NHL season would be cancelled. He thinks the Devils would do so in a heartbeat. He asked a friend of mine, who is quite wired in the NHL, to come talk to the boys about the chances of the CBA thing shutting down the NHL next year. It seems Coach is taking this threat very seriously.

As to the ACT standards: there are over 400 student athletes on campus at UND right now. If the 22 score standard had been in place, Blais said something like only 50 to 75 athletes would be in school. This is not a proposal; Coach said it is a done deal that the administration is putting in place. The only hope is for a student/athlete waiver or something similar.

Might be time to crank up the emails to President Kupchella.

c.kupchella@mail.UND.nodak.edu

I spoke with Coach Blais for a little bit after Booster meeting and he is VERY concerned about both the ACT thing and Zach being lured to the NHL. I asked him if the Devils would invest $1,000,000 just to have Zach come in late this year for a playoff run, even if they thought the 04-05 NHL season would be cancelled. He thinks the Devils would do so in a heartbeat. He asked a friend of mine, who is quite wired in the NHL, to come talk to the boys about the chances of the CBA thing shutting down the NHL next year. It seems Coach is taking this threat very seriously.

As to the ACT standards: there are over 400 student athletes on campus at UND right now. If the 22 score standard had been in place, Blais said something like only 50 to 75 athletes would be in school. This is not a proposal; Coach said it is a done deal that the administration is putting in place. The only hope is for a student/athlete waiver or something similar.

Might be time to crank up the emails to President Kupchella.

c.kupchella@mail.UND.nodak.edu

I wonder what that proposal would do to their goal of increasing students at UND.