SiouxSports.com Forum

Fargo Sioux Boosters

schmidtdoggydog

With regard to the ACT cutoffs, I would presume that there will be some latitude given to students that bring "diversity" to the student body. Schools like Wisco and Michigan have pretty high academic standards, but also field competitive teams in many sports. Moreover, most schools use grades, activities, athletics, etc. in determining acceptance.

"Diversity" at UND probably includes blacks, Hispanics, Indians, Asians, lesbians, gays, fat people, ex convicts, left handers, non-English speakers, athletes, cynics, Germans, etc. Otherwise, the name change crowd would be whittled down to Cryin' Jim McKenzie and Lucy Ganje. :lol::glare:

As to the ACT standards: there are over 400 student athletes on campus at UND right now. If the 22 score standard had been in place, Blais said something like only 50 to 75 athletes would be in school. This is not a proposal; Coach said it is a done deal that the administration is putting in place. The only hope is for a student/athlete waiver or something similar.

Might be time to crank up the emails to President Kupchella.

c.kupchella@mail.UND.nodak.edu

UND requirements Not to call anybody a liar, but there has to be some misinformation. Currently the minimum ACT score is 17 and a 2.25 high school GPA. ACT Percentiles This site shows that a 17 is somewhere around the 30th percentile while a 22 is around the 65th percentile. This would mean UND would more than double their minimum requirement for ACT score. This will never happen, someone has some bad information.

Regarding mikejm's report on the ACT issue, if this is in fact well on the way to implementation, we need to seriously correspond with the administration about its detrimental effects on athletics. Having a strong university is about much more than athletics, and I'm not opposed to good academic standards in general, but poorly performing athletic teams garner less interest, and less money, which undermines the university's strength.

Regarding mikejm's report on the ACT issue, if this is in fact well on the way to implementation, we need to seriously correspond with the administration about its detrimental effects on athletics. Having a strong university is about much more than athletics, and I'm not opposed to good academic standards in general, but poorly performing athletic teams garner less interest, and less money, which undermines the university's strength.

Your going to disqualify a ton of people that would have gone to the University of North Dakota, so much for high enrollment numbers. I think Maybe alumni need to get involved... Its a bad Idea and when I went to school, I don't rememer even having to take the test to get into to UND.

Your going to disqualify a ton of people that would have gone to the University of North Dakota, so much for high enrollment numbers. I think Maybe alumni need to get involved... Its a bad Idea and when I went to school, I don't rememer even having to take the test to get into to UND.

I remember taking the SAT as a requirement in addition to high school transcripts. I don't think the ACT is administered as much in the northeast as perhaps it is in the midwest. I haven't a clue what a score of 20 on the ACT is comparable to on the SAT. Anyone?

About half way down this page are the requirements that go into effect in fall of 2005.

Effective for Fall 2005, the following admission criteria will be used for freshmen and transfer students with less than 24 transferable credits.

In order to be admitted to the University of North Dakota, all students must meet the following minimum criteria:

- ACT composite score of 21 or SAT combined score of 990 for North Dakota residents, OR

- ACT composite score of 22 or SAT combined score of 1,030 for residents of states other than North Dakota

- Minimum high school cumulative GPA of 2.50 for all freshman applicants

- Completion of the high school core curriculum* which includes:

- Four units** of English, including the development of written and oral skill,

- Three units of mathematics, Algebra I and above

- Three units of laboratory science

- Three units of social studies

The Student Academics Standards Committee will consider applicants who have not met the minimum admission criteria.

*All students who graduate from high school, whether in North Dakota or any other state, in 1993 or later are required to complete a core curriculum before entering the University of North Dakota.

**A unit is equal to one year.

About half way down this page are the requirements that go into effect in fall of 2005.

As with any requirment section there is always a clause...and I love this one which appears to be written especially for prospective players of D1 sports...

"The Student Academics Standards Committee will consider applicants who have not met the minimum admission criteria."

Anyone care to add the translation to that??

"The Student Academics Standards Committee will consider applicants who have not met the minimum admission criteria."

Anyone care to add the translation to that??

See my earlier comments on "Diversity". It's pretty standard for schools with tougher academic requirements to allow exceptions for people that some committee of wheezy academics and granolas thinks will add "value" to the students' experience. Hence, you have a bunch of Michigan, Minnie, Wisco, Northwestern, Texas, etc. jocks majoring in General Studies or __-American Studies. :glare:

UND is overpopulated, hence they wanted a higher standard. It will rarely affect the sports teams because it's not the only thing they use to accept people. They will make a special acception.

Overpopulated?? having been at UND for the 4 previous years, why is kupchella so dead set on increasing UND's population?

I think Blais and the AD will find loopholes in the matter. There is nothing written stating that a student of any type cannot retake the ACT. So the obvious loophole is provisional admission to the University that would state that the athlete (in this case) would be admitted to the University on a sort of limited academic probation that specifies that, unless the ACT is retaken and a score of 22(?) or greater is achieved by the end of the student's freshman year, the student will be ruled academically ineligible until the ACT score is at its required level.

And it would make sense to implement this for any and all recruits coming in in 2005 or later.

I think Blais and the AD will find loopholes in the matter. There is nothing written stating that a student of any type cannot retake the ACT. So the obvious loophole is provisional admission to the University that would state that the athlete (in this case) would be admitted to the University on a sort of limited academic probation that specifies that, unless the ACT is retaken and a score of 22(?) or greater is achieved by the end of the student's freshman year, the student will be ruled academically ineligible until the ACT score is at its required level.

And it would make sense to implement this for any and all recruits coming in in 2005 or later.

This is a bad fix.. there has to be a loophole in which you can admit athletes at a lower ACT score. No offense to athletes, but some of them will never receive a 22 in the ACT's

This is a bad fix.. there has to be a loophole in which you can admit athletes at a lower ACT score. No offense to athletes, but some of them will never receive a 22 in the ACT's

I'm positive one can take the ACT multiple times. I believe a recent Gopher had to retake the exam to achieve an entrance qualifying score, but I'm not sure.

I'm not sure of this either, but it is my belief that one can raise their ACT score several points with directed studying and multiple tries.

I would be suprised if it affected UND's recruiting at all, but I guess maybe an edge case, where the student didn't want to be bothered.

I'm positive one can take the ACT multiple times. I believe a recent Gopher had to retake the exam to achieve an entrance qualifying score, but I'm not sure.

It was BB recruit Wesley Washington. He still has not reached the minimum standards and will not attend MN. Now if Clem were still here.... ???:glare:

Overpopulated?? having been at UND for the 4 previous years, why is kupchella so dead set on increasing UND's population?

Kupchella's strategic goal was 14,000 students by 200X, but many didn't read the fine print. It was to be 12 to 13,000 on-campus students, with 1-2,000 off campus, "distant learning" programs. This fall the enrollment was over 13,000 putting much strain on faculty and space, hence the solution.

Other schools do have "diversity" exceptions for students who don't make the ACT/SAT requirements. (A well-rounded student of arts or athletics can help diversify the student body.) Dean Blais noted that UND is planning to not allow this. This is probably why he brought it up at Fargo Boosters, and why he said UND is, arguably, making requirements more stringent (for athletes) than at Ivy schools.

Whether an exception will be created remains to be seen, but DB's opinion is that it's not on track to happen right now.

I think Wyatt Smith played all four years at Minnesota.

Yeah, I'm stupid. Smith's name was stuck in my head, because I was surprised he was playing for the Predators against the Wild that night. I meant to say Landon Wilson and can't fix my other post. No edit option. Must be because I'm working on a different computer.