SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Practices

WeAreNorthDakota

Mollberg is still as good as advertised, and there isn't much drop off to Bartles. Bartles' voice projection and command at the line of scrimmage is still the best I've seen anywhere -- H.S. to D-I

Jake Hanson still puts a lot of balls in the dirt...too many for no-pad scrimmage drills, but that said, he looks a lot more confident than the scared kid he was last year just happy to be in camp.

Mollberg is practicing and performing unlike your typical red shirt freshman QB. He looks like someone who knows the playbook inside and out and plays like someone who spent his red-shirt year thinking he better be ready because he could be in at any moment. That can only help. My hope is he'll get the kinks out in spring ball, fall camp and against Valpo and then bring it strong against the bunnies! Crawl, walk ... explode!

I just can get a handle on Bartles yet. He clearly has talent; it's just that Mollberg consistently looks a little better each practice.

Mollberg is still as good as advertised, and there isn't much drop off to Bartles. Bartles' voice projection and command at the line of scrimmage is still the best I've seen anywhere -- H.S. to D-I

Jake Hanson still puts a lot of balls in the dirt...too many for no-pad scrimmage drills, but that said, he looks a lot more confident than the scared kid he was last year just happy to be in camp.

Mollberg is practicing and performing unlike your typical red shirt freshman QB. He looks like someone who knows the playbook inside and out and plays like someone who spent his red-shirt year thinking he better be ready because he could be in at any moment. That can only help. My hope is he'll get the kinks out in spring ball, fall camp and against Valpo and then bring it strong against the bunnies! Crawl, walk ... explode!

I just can get a handle on Bartles yet. He clearly has talent; it's just that Mollberg consistently looks a little better each practice.

Thanks for the report! Did you watch the DB's at all? I read they had a couple big interceptions in practice.

How'd they do against Montana St?

I'm expecting improvement in the line with much better athletes at C and T.

I think the coaching staff learned a big lesson last season, you can't start off of just experience. Play the best man regardless of experience, especially on the lines. We should have significant more athletic ability on the offensive line. Good things are coming!

How'd they do against Montana St?

I'm expecting improvement in the line with much better athletes at C and T.

When your defense makes your team one dimensional it's hard to run the ball at all. You need points and passing was the answer and the Bobcats knew that. Look at what Hanson/Hendrickson did all year threw up some big numbers in the air and you have to give credit to the OL for that.

Three things from the UNDsports update on spring ball practice 4:

1. Thank you for the great coverage. Matt, Tom and Wayne- great work so far this spring. Keep it up.
  2. Molberg looks huge in the picture where Coach Freund is working with him in the pocket. He looks the part at 232 lbs.
  3. JJ Robertson comes across as a very well spoken guy in the rapid fire segment. Seems appreciative of the 2nd chance. And he looks absolutely huge for a WR. 20 lbs heavier than Hardin and faster. Once he shakes the rust off he could have a breakout season next year.

It would be interesting to see the stats but isn't football becoming more pass orientated? Not to say a team should become one dimensional.

Many teams are, however, if you look at Alabama or even ndsu you'll see it's not really in the team's best interest.

I hope not. That would ruin the program. No matter how good the passing game is you need to run the ball and be able to assert your will in any condition.

I'm not sure this team has the personnel to be a 50/50 or 60/40 running team. The running backs are too small, with the exception of PJ Sparks and Shaugabay. But if the coaches are going to play Jake Miller and Jer Garmin the most, then this offense would be the most successful passing the football more often than not. The talent difference between the receivers and the running backs is substantial, and you have to fit your offense to your personnel; if you don't, you're misusing and ultimately wasting talent. We also don't know how successful this team is going to be run blocking vs. pass blocking.

I'm not sure this team has the personnel to be a 50/50 or 60/40 running team. The running backs are too small, with the exception of PJ Sparks and Shaugabay. But if the coaches are going to play Jake Miller and Jer Garmin the most, then this offense would be the most successful passing the football more often than not. The talent difference between the receivers and the running backs is substantial, and you have to fit your offense to your personnel; if you don't, you're misusing and ultimately wasting talent. We also don't know how successful this team is going to be run blocking vs. pass blocking.

I'm just saying we can't get carried away with passing the ball because it puts too much pressure on the defense. 60/40 pass isn't that outrageous and would still have enough run in it to keep defenses honest and eat up a little more of the clock.