SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 Minnesota State High School Hockey Tournament

True, STA should be in AA, but if East Grand Forks has some prospective college recruits, they should have competed a little better, even though some of that talent is quite young. Knew it would be an uphill battle, but had no inkling they would get pummeled the way they did.

True, STA should be in AA, but if East Grand Forks has some prospective college recruits, they should have competed a little better, even though some of that talent is quite young. Knew it would be an uphill battle, but had no inkling they would get pummeled the way they did.

EGF didn't play to their potential either and you knew they would need great goaltending today and that area has been a concern all year and it really was today as well. I know there were a number of people that thought EGF could give STA a game but that early goal in the 2nd period really seemed to completely defleat them and the route was on from there.

I think it's high time that private schools be REQUIRED to be in Class AA. Private schools have an inherent, built-in advantage over even the large public schools that will never be overcome.

I think it is high time that the private schools go back to having their own tournament period. That is until they play by the same rules as the rest.

I think it is high time that the private schools go back to having their own tournament period. That is until they play by the same rules as the rest.

When did private schools in MN have their own hockey tournament?

In ND, Dickinson Trinity dropped to Class B about 15 years ago. In a sport where a school might make the state boys basketball tournament once every 20 years, Trinity has now made something like 9 of the last 13 state tournament appearances. I hate that school with a passion.

When did private schools in MN have their own hockey tournament?

In ND, Dickinson Trinity dropped to Class B about 15 years ago. In a sport where a school might make the state boys basketball tournament once every 20 years, Trinity has now made something like 9 of the last 13 state tournament appearances. I hate that school with a passion.

Up until 1974-75. My bad I was thinking it was 76. http://www.vintageminnesotahockey.com/MNHSlHockey.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_school_boys_ice_hockey_in_Minnesota

I found this when I was looking for the breakdown on past champions.

Up until 1974-75. My bad I was thinking it was 76. http://www.vintageminnesotahockey.com/MNHSlHockey.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_school_boys_ice_hockey_in_Minnesota

I found this when I was looking for the breakdown on past champions.

I can't seem to find information on the 'private school' tournament...am I looking in the wrong place?

I can't seem to find information on the 'private school' tournament...am I looking in the wrong place?

I've seen it mentioned before on www.kroxam.com in the sports feever column. Also this page mentions that the private schools were not allowed to participate at the state tournament previous to the 1974-75 season. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_school_boys_ice_hockey_in_Minnesota

Hermantown got screwed, they should have had a penalty called against STA before the goal scored

I don't blame the Hermantown coach for going ballistic on the official afterward. His player was practically horse-collared seconds prior to the GWG being scored.

I don't blame the Hermantown coach for going ballistic on the official afterward. His player was practically horse-collared seconds prior to the GWG being scored.

After the GWG, I turned the channel and threw my remote down in disgust. :angry:

That was absolutely outrageous. Those snot-nosed punks got the title handed to them on a silver platter. Thank God they are moving up to AA next year or else you could just as well rename the A tournament the St. Thomas Academy Invitational, where the other seven teams are simply there to play the "jobber" role. ???

I loved how he went after them and stuck up for his team and can't wait to see his press conference. It was really a shame for the refs to take the game away from Hermantown like that and you could kind of feel it coming as soon as they gave STA the powerplay. If you are gonna call one of those a hold you have to call the other one too. I think my hate level for STA is at an all time high right now.

• Upvote 2

Look, I'm as disgusted as anyone that STA rolls through class A, but H'town gave up a 4-2 lead in the 3rd period. There were plenty of chances for them to win that game.

That said, if that STA player doesn't hold/interfere with the Hermantown player, the H'town guy clears the zone and they go to OT. It was particularly bad when a soft holding call was called on H'town to put STA on the power play in the first place. Then the H'town player gets absolutely mugged, and if he doesn't keep his balance like he did, and flops like the STA kid did to draw the earlier penalty, it is H'town on the PP in OT.

Not like it matters, but I see STA going the way of Holy Angels anyway.

I don't understand a lot of hockey penalties from clean play. That one I noticed. Bummer for Hermantown.

I loved how he went after them and stuck up for his team and can't wait to see his press conference. It was really a shame for the refs to take the game away from Hermantown like that and you could kind of feel it coming as soon as they gave STA the powerplay. If you are gonna call one of those a hold you have to call the other one too. I think my hate level for STA is at an all time high right now.

Agree.