SiouxSports.com Forum

The Legislature Strikes Back

The Sicatoka

Many of us have long suspected that there are forces {cough-Al Carlson-cough-cough} in the Legislature looking to eliminate the ND SBoHE and put control of the NDUS more directly under the Legislature, thus making the University System a political pawn.

Well, you've been waiting for it and now it's here:

... an amendment was introduced by Rep. Rick Becker to shut down the Board of Higher Education and put the administration of the North Dakota University System under a statewide elected official. ...

The “higher education commissioner,” as the office is called in the amendment, would be empowered to hire and fire university presidents and perform all administrative duties necessary to run the universities. But here’s the thing, the higher education commissioner would be subject to statute.

That means the legislature is the boss. No more independent university system.

http://sayanythingbl...gher-education/

Also from that same article:

No more university presidents thumbing their noses at our lawmakers, ...

I wonder who the author was thinking about when they wrote that ... :silly:

Al Carlson is crushing this state very slowly. First he thinks he can take on the NCAA (fail), then he wants to cap how much money this state can receive from the oil companies (ultimate fail), then telling Fargo no more than 325 million for flood control but nothing for buyouts and a diversion (thanks dickhead), now eliminate the SBoHE. Please get this @ss clown out of Bismarck.

That would be interesting. How would it be sold by pros and cons?

Well I suppose pros are that the individual colleges get to stay in the constitution, so there would be no closings, the people would have more of a say in how the higher ed board is ran, and the board would be more accountable to the people through the legislature. The cons would be that the board would lose some of it independence from political stuff and its a change of the status quo plus the colleges stay in constitution.

I believe it would be a good change. The current status quo is broken. I think putting more of the power in control of the people through a direct election of the higher ed chancellor/president is a good thing because ultimately the schools are for the people and the people pay for the schools. I also like that there will be more accountability to the people this way through both the direct election of the chancellor/president and through the increased influence of the legislature, who represent the people. I also like that whole thing would fully fall under state statutes.

I think it would be an improvement over the current set up.

• Upvote 1

Well I suppose pros are that the individual colleges get to stay in the constitution, so there would be no closings, the people would have more of a say in how the higher ed board is ran, and the board would be more accountable to the people through the legislature. The cons would be that the board would lose some of it independence from political stuff and its a change of the status quo plus the colleges stay in constitution.

I believe it would be a good change. The current status quo is broken. I think putting more of the power in control of the people through a direct election of the higher ed chancellor/president is a good thing because ultimately the schools are for the people and the people pay for the schools. I also like that there will be more accountability to the people this way through both the direct election of the chancellor/president and through the increased influence of the legislature, who represent the people. I also like that whole thing would fully fall under state statutes.

I think it would be an improvement over the current set up.

What happens if whomever is elected goes all Al Carlson and starts doing crazy stuff because they are power hungry? That position could make universities gravel for money.

This may be sold as a pro to people in those smaller communities, but this is something that needs to be looked at.

Al Carlson is crushing this state very slowly. First he thinks he can take on the NCAA (fail), then he wants to cap how much money this state can receive from the oil companies (ultimate fail), then telling Fargo no more than 325 million for flood control but nothing for buyouts and a diversion (thanks dickhead), now eliminate the SBoHE. Please get this @ss clown out of Bismarck.

His constituents should be ashamed of themselves.

• Upvote 2

Interesting Shirvani news:

http://www.grandfork...icle/id/257629/

I am impressed the Senate had the guts to correct the mistake they made the day before. In case people are not aware, Shirvani was forced to resign as Dean of the Denver School of Architecture at U of Colorado before he became president of the U of California Stanislaus. The reasons included a large number of faculty who quit during his tenure due to his abusive manner. The school was placed on probation by their accrediting agency due to the unrest between faculty and administration. While President at UCS the faculty voted by over 90% no confidence citing his abusive style. I did not find details of his harassment lawsuit but it was settled out of court. I would not be surprised if that was also for harassing employees. The employee was given $10,000 a years severence and a positive evaluation when she left. Former employees at UCS were contacted by employees of the office of the chancellor shortly after he arrived here to get their take on him. They substantiated the claims of his abusive behvior and style. Shortly after arriving in Bismarck he began his similar style leading to multiple resignations of staff including the CFO and long time board attorney. His rift with the attorney, who former UND VP Beiswanger referred to as a dedicated and excellent legal advisor to higher ed over the years, began immediately after the attorney counsled Shirvani that holding unnannounced secret meetings of the board violated the state open meeting law. Shirvani lost his temper and insisted he had the authority to call such a meeting. When other employees confirmed the attorney was correct he got upset with them as well. When Shirvani went to Espegard to let him know he wanted other legal council, Espegard threw the attorney, who was a former NDSU and UND student under the bus. The problems of Shirvani and the very mediocore chancellors after Potts are the reult of poor selections and oversight by Espegard and other board members. I applaud the Senate for trying to get rid of this guy but I would fire him rather than buy him out. I applaud the college students of the state for their vote of no confidence as well. Shirvani needs to go and any legislator or board member who continues to support him despite overwhelming evidence this is a pattern of abusive behavior needs to consider if they have the judgement to serve the public.

• Upvote 2

I am impressed the Senate had the guts to correct the mistake they made the day before. In case people are not aware, Shirvani was forced to resign as Dean of the Denver School of Architecture at U of Colorado before he became president of the U of California Stanislaus. The reasons included a large number of faculty who quit during his tenure due to his abusive manner. The school was placed on probation by their accrediting agency due to the unrest between faculty and administration. While President at UCS the faculty voted by over 90% no confidence citing his abusive style. I did not find details of his harassment lawsuit but it was settled out of court. I would not be surprised if that was also for harassing employees. The employee was given $10,000 a years severence and a positive evaluation when she left. Former employees at UCS were contacted by employees of the office of the chancellor shortly after he arrived here to get their take on him. They substantiated the claims of his abusive behvior and style. Shortly after arriving in Bismarck he began his similar style leading to multiple resignations of staff including the CFO and long time board attorney. His rift with the attorney, who former UND VP Beiswanger referred to as a dedicated and excellent legal advisor to higher ed over the years, began immediately after the attorney counsled Shirvani that holding unnannounced secret meetings of the board violated the state open meeting law. Shirvani lost his temper and insisted he had the authority to call such a meeting. When other employees confirmed the attorney was correct he got upset with them as well. When Shirvani went to Espegard to let him know he wanted other legal council, Espegard threw the attorney, who was a former NDSU and UND student under the bus. The problems of Shirvani and the very mediocore chancellors after Potts are the reult of poor selections and oversight by Espegard and other board members. I applaud the Senate for trying to get rid of this guy but I would fire him rather than buy him out. I applaud the college students of the state for their vote of no confidence as well. Shirvani needs to go and any legislator or board member who continues to support him despite overwhelming evidence this is a pattern of abusive behavior needs to consider if they have the judgement to serve the public.

The university system office doesn't have a CFO, they have a "vice chancellor for administrative affairs" who oversees the finance side of the office and she is still employed there.

http://ndus.edu/system/staff/

The university system office doesn't have a CFO, they have a "vice chancellor for administrative affairs" who oversees the finance side of the office and she is still employed there.

http://ndus.edu/system/staff/

You are correct and I was too lazy to look up the title so I apologize. It was the financial aid director, Nathan Stratton. He wasn't going to put up with the abuse. Were I a journalist, I would tally up how many of the previous staff have resigned and ask them why. I would also wonder why Shirvani needs an Executive Asst and a Special Asst. I would also ask Shirvani directly about his relationship to his asst. and whether or not there is an investigation into that relationship or not. Lots of rumors around the state offices concerning him. Embarassing to see Espegard and the legislator from Tioga castigate our students for wanting the position of chancellor to be one of integrity and trust. The students need to keep pressing this. Also a jounalist should question the Fargo legislator who Shirvani reportedly called a "liar". He also refused to answer a legislators question during a committee hearing. He simply refused.

The lack or oversite and leadership by the SBoHE and the mismangement of the Chapman, Dickinson State and Shirvani scandals could very well be the impetus Carlson uses to destroy the SBoHE as we know it. I would be curious to know what will it take for some to realize we made a mistake and get rid of this guy.

The Ag Commissioner is probably seen as more likely to be a proxy of the legislature than an AG or Secretary of State. I'm amazed that the legislature seems so insecure that it feels the need to keep picking at the state constitution.

You expect more from someone with an R behind their name? Look at the attacks on the US Constitution the TeaNuts have been waging.

i had some fun bureaucratic games with the graduate school a couple years ago, and i was contacted by some of 'those people' who wanted to use me as part of their campaign to undermine the sbohe. I told them to get bent ofc.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...