SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky News

bincitysioux

One of the many things that I think makes the Big Sky rather exciting is the unbalanced schedule, and the potential advantages/disadvantages it may create for the teams in the conference. Based upon 2011 win-loss record, Cal Poly had by far and away the easiest schedule in 2012, and they rode it to a 7-1 finish, a share of the conference title, and a playoff berth.

Here is how the toughest schedules shake out for the upcoming season, based on 2012 opponents winning percentage:

1. Montana (.594)

2. Weber St. (.532)

3. Northern Colorado (.532)

4. North Dakota (.516)

5. Northern Arizona (.500)

6. UC Davis (.500)

7. Montana St. (.500)

8. Southern Utah (.485)

9. Idaho St. (.485)

10. Cal Poly (.485)

11. Portland St. (.469)

12. Sacramento St. (.469)

13. Eastern Washington (.438)

For teams that had identical opponent W-L records, I took the liberty of ranking them based on my own subjective standards. For example 3 teams have schedules with .500 win percentages (NAU, UCD, and MSU). However MSU only plays one of last season's co-champs, while NAU and UCD both play two of the co-champs. NAU has to travel to both games, while UCD gets one of them at home, so I gave NAU the nod as the team with the most difficult .500 opponent schedule, yadda, yadda, yadda...............

Couple interesting points:

• EWU has the easiest schedule in 2013. They had the toughest in 2012 and still managed to go 7-1 and win the conference.
  • Montana and Weber are the only teams that play all three 2012 Co-Champions

Just something kind of fun to consider when making predictions about how the conference race will shake out as the off-season progresses.

• Upvote 2

Here's a look at all the known Big Sky non-conference games...............

Cal Poly: San Diego, @ Fresno St., @ Colorado St., Yale

EWU: @ Oregon St., Western Oregon, @ Toledo, @ Sam Houston St.

ISU: Dixie St., Western St., @ Washington, @ BYU

UM: Appalachian St., @ UND, Oklahoma Panhandle St., @ South Dakota

MSU: @ NDSU, @ Stephen F. Austin

UND: Valparaiso, South Dakota St., Montana

NAU: @ Arizona

UNC: CSU-Pueblo, @ Wyoming, Northern Iowa

PSU: @ Cal, @ UC Davis

SAC: @ San Jose St., @ Arizona St.

SUU: @ Washington St.

UCD: @ South Dakota, @ Nevada, Portland St.

WSU: Stephen F. Austin, @ Utah, @ Utah St., @ McNeese St.

• 1 month later...

Johnson is a good QB but I wouldn't exactly write him back into the top of the depth chart. Greg Rachac from the Billings Gazette seems to think that he still has some hurdles to clear back at UM even after the legal process has played out, doesn't sound like it will be too tough for him though...

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/football/with-acquittal-johnson-can-appeal-to-return-to-griz/article_842f2c7b-c6dc-57ef-a0d1-a30d7e6d1a7d.html

If Jordan wants to play next year he'll have to appeal to the athletic conduct committee to be reinstated, which should be a formality now that the trial is over. I think spring drills start in about 2 weeks so things might move quickly if he decides to appeal.

There would be no competition if he decides to play, he is among the best dual-threat QB's in the league, and much better than any other option we have.

If Jordan wants to play next year he'll have to appeal to the athletic conduct committee to be reinstated, which should be a formality now that the trial is over. I think spring drills start in about 2 weeks so things might move quickly if he decides to appeal.

There would be no competition if he decides to play, he is among the best dual-threat QB's in the league, and much better than any other option we have.

Question - do you need to be enrolled to participate in spring drills? I assume their 2nd semester began right after the first of the year and it is too late to enroll for on-campus classes. That said, I suppose he could enroll in some on-line courses and qualify - there are likely various on-line classes starting all the time.

Question - do you need to be enrolled to participate in spring drills? I assume their 2nd semester began right after the first of the year and it is too late to enroll for on-campus classes. That said, I suppose he could enroll in some on-line courses and qualify - there are likely various on-line classes starting all the time.

He has been going to classes the whole time during the investigation, he never left school.