SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. ST. CLOUD - Friday

AZSIOUX

I was there and witnessed one horrible performance, in that, I cannot believe how many non sioux fans there are here. We can't have a bad game? I'd rant on for 10 more min. but I'll spare myself..

Save your duckies and bunnies BS for another day. I was there too. A "bad game"?? Seriously? 3 words to describe what I saw...embarrassing, soft and heartless. Combining those 3 things don't add up to a "bad game"...that's what happen Friday vs CC. This my unicorn and rainbow loving Sioux fan friend was utterly unacceptble...period!

Now I will take 10 more minutes to rant...the Berry experiement has been nothing short of a complete failure at this point. Kick Eades to the curb for this type of defense?? Lots of blame for what I watched last night but I'll pin most of it on the coaching staff. When they took their foot of the gas last Saturday with this team and settled for a tie after a 2 goal lead with 9 and change to go, they needed to take responsibility for that game and this one. I see the 2 intertwined. Hak blew it last Saturday and needed to make sure he had that locker room ready to go last night. Look at the result.

The players need to look in the mirror...especially the leaders of this team. I wanted to hear from a captain after the game last night not Rocco. For all of Mario's shortcomings as a player, no way a team captained by him performs like it did last night.

Soft early goals are killing this team!!! Last night's softy to start it took the crowd out the game and whatever energy the team had was zapped by that as well. I know UND is seldom going to get the "hot goalie" play we run into all the time...per Schloss, but Zane (and Clark) can't continually spot a 1-0 lead early in each game.

Defensively this team is a complete mess. No words to describe it. Other than Simpson, they have all play well below their skill level. Mac, Forbort, and Mattson have regressed big time.

Offensively...zero identity. Hak was shuffling lines last night like a blackjack deal in Vegas! Rowney has been a big disappointment. The RPM line isn't going to click at his level of play so far this season. To be searching for line combos going into the last weekend of January is not helping, but EIGHT, 8, SOG with 9 minutes LEFT in the 3rd period is disgraeful with the talent and skill on this team. I see Hak trying to fit square pegs into round holes for the sake of having balanced lines.

Going back up tonight and fully expect a different team to show up with a different result. The problem is I don't see this team being consistent enough from here on out in all the phases of a hockey game to really get that 2nd half surge going. This team has played, IMO, basically 8 periods of decent to good hockey in the last 7 games coming out of the Christmas break and stand 3-3-1 in that stretch.

Tonight is a MUST win.

• Upvote 4

Save your duckies and bunnies BS for another day. I was there too. A "bad game"?? Seriously? 3 words to describe what I saw...embarrassing, soft and heartless. Combining those 3 things don't add up to a "bad game"...that's what happen Friday vs CC. This my unicorn and rainbow loving Sioux fan friend was utterly unacceptble...period!

Now I will take 10 more minutes to rant...the Berry experiement has been nothing short of a complete failure at this point. Kick Eades to the curb for this type of defense?? Lots of blame for what I watched last night but I'll pin most of it on the coaching staff. When they took their foot of the gas last Saturday with this team and settled for a tie after a 2 goal lead with 9 and change to go, they needed to take responsibility for that game and this one. I see the 2 intertwined. Hak blew it last Saturday and needed to make sure he had that locker room ready to go last night. Look at the result.

The players need to look in the mirror...especially the leaders of this team. I wanted to hear from a captain after the game last night not Rocco. For all of Mario's shortcomings as a player, no way a team captained by him performs like it did last night.

Soft early goals are killing this team!!! Last night's softy to start it took the crowd out the game and whatever energy the team had was zapped by that as well. I know UND is seldom going to get the "hot goalie" play we run into all the time...per Schloss, but Zane (and Clark) can't continually spot a 1-0 lead early in each game.

Defensively this team is a complete mess. No words to describe it. Other than Simpson, they have all play well below their skill level. Mac, Forbort, and Mattson have regressed big time.

Offensively...zero identity. Hak was shuffling lines last night like a blackjack deal in Vegas! Rowney has been a big disappointment. The RPM line isn't going to click at his level of play so far this season. To be searching for line combos going into the last weekend of January is not helping, but EIGHT, 8, SOG with 9 minutes LEFT in the 3rd period is disgraeful with the talent and skill on this team. I see Hak trying to fit square pegs into round holes for the sake of having balanced lines.

Going back up tonight and fully expect a different team to show up with a different result. The problem is I don't see this team being consistent enough from here on out in all the phases of a hockey game to really get that 2nd half surge going. This team has played, IMO, basically 8 periods of decent to good hockey in the last 7 games coming out of the Christmas break and stand 3-3-1 in that stretch.

Tonight is a MUST win.

Well said Oxbow. I too see no leadership from our captains on this team. Say what you want about Mario but the guy was one hell of a leader with a bigger heart than all 3 of the guys now have combined. They lose tonight and I don't like their chances for home ice come March. Am I a bit negative? Hell yes after last nights pathetic performance how can one still have the green colored glasses on?
  • Upvote 1

I am embarrassed by this team's performance last night. I came out early and liked how they moved the puck in the first. They didn't get quality shots, but they were moving it around. Then the second period came. I quit watching at the intermission. Embarrassing.

I agree with the statements regarding the coaching staff. What is going on?

As for the locker room...something must be going on in there.

The team last night looked exactly like the Gopher teams at the end of the Woog era; lots of talent that didn't care to play. That lasted for an entire year+ under Woog. Tonight's game and the remainder of the season will decide if last night was an aberration or the new norm.

The Bjorkman teams played harder than this, just didn't have the talent to compete.

I am embarrassed by this team's performance last night. I came out early and liked how they moved the puck in the first. They didn't get quality shots, but they were moving it around. Then the second period came. I quit watching at the intermission. Embarrassing.

I agree with the statements regarding the coaching staff. What is going on?

As for the locker room...something must be going on in there.

That's kind of what I think too, something is up in the room, I just don't know what. I hope the guys figure it out soon!

Heart and passion are going to the wayside... cant have a rivalry becuase its too mean spirited. .. no criticizing student athletes they try hard ... its just an overall panzy ass transformation all round. And we wonder why games like this happen. .. come on... we lose last week and it was a moral win or a good effort in a great game. That stuff makes losing ok... and it needs to be unacceptable for this program... theres a sign outside the locker "expect to win"... apparently its being misinterrepted bcuz it doesnt mean you get handed wins at home, its supposed to be a mentality and a standard you set for yourself...

Apoligize for the rant but ive been sick of this panzy ass attitude for a while

This is what I have been trying to tell people for several years, but all I get is the same tired old "In Hak We Trust......or you aren't a real fan" BS. It's time to get back to the winning attitude that this program made famous. And if that counts as "living in the past", then so be it. :angry:

Tonight is a MUST win.

That ^

Well said Oxbow.

So we've seen the additions of Mitch Mac and Parks into the regular lineup and the removal of O'Donnell and Gaarder...Chyzyk hasn't played in months...Zane has a GAA over 3 and a save percentage under .900

This team is seeking an identity and doesn't have one.

IMHO Gaarder should never be out of the lineup for Senkbeil. Heck, Mitch MacMillan hasn't done anything to be skating with the top unit. Starting to see why he didn't make it at SCSU.

Oxbow said it best about Rowney. I thought he'd be an X factor Malone type player this year, and I haven't seen it. Carter is one of my favorite Sioux players. At the end of last year he was terrific, and was a big reason that team had the success they did. I was expecting a huge year out of him. You wonder if he's gripping his stick too tightly this year or over thinking, because he was a beast last year.

Wow... Haven't seen this team get beat this bad in, say, 20 years. Horrible. Bad goal tending, bad defense, bad offense, bad coaching. One major bitch... Forbort should never shoot the puck. He must surely lead the league in shots being block. Slowest shot release ever. I expected more from him this year.... Wow

I thought this was one of the worst games too, I wouldn't pin it on the goaltending however. Which goal was weak....the snipe over his shoulder from 8-13 feet?

It's time to get back to the winning attitude that this program made famous.

Would four straight Final Five's be enough 'winning' for you? Or is ANYTHING less than a national championship every-other-year considered failure?

I saw Chay Genoway and his minus 5 game as a freshie or soph against Maine. I'm glad he wasn't tossed off the team after that game.

Obviously not a good game by the Sioux last night...I'm anxious to see how they respond to adversity tonight.

• Well you boys better be careful, back up from the ledge etc. with comments like these your not true fans dare question the mighty Oz, nevermind the man behind the curtain. Hakstol made the coaching change, doesnt work, Hakstol sets the lineup cant find one, Hakstol is in charge of making sure we are ready to play, not happening. Who should we blame? eight shots after 52 minutes is not going to cut it.

Haven't seen that type of I don't give a f out of a UND team well, maybe ever?!? Jesus wake the f up guys and smoke Scsu tonight. Pathetic last night as a whole. Lets see something tonight out of this squad! Maybe commodore can grab a few guys and get them rolling :) go sioux!!

Tonight is a MUST win.

I agree with everything you said except the goaltending piece. That snipe over his should (2nd or 3rd goal) may have been the soft goal that you guys are talking about but that was actually a beautiful shot....could have been saved I guess. The Hanowski goal was also an awesome point blank far side shot....the problem was the defense out front. THEY HAVE TO SWITCH UP THEIR LINES. The problem the entire year has been the defensive play in their own zone, odd line combos and a non-effort attitude in many of their games.

IMHO Gaarder should never be out of the lineup for Senkbeil. Heck, Mitch MacMillan hasn't done anything to be skating with the top unit. Starting to see why he didn't make it at SCSU.

Oxbow said it best about Rowney. I thought he'd be an X factor Malone type player this year, and I haven't seen it. Carter is one of my favorite Sioux players. At the end of last year he was terrific, and was a big reason that team had the success they did. I was expecting a huge year out of him. You wonder if he's gripping his stick too tightly this year or over thinking, because he was a beast last year.

Don't post in here often, but yeah Mitch MacMillan couldn't hardly make 4th line at SCSU. Motzko did give him a shot and played him consistently for a while and I think Motzko felt he had better options sitting on the bench, so he kicked MacMillan to the curb basically. I'm shocked he is on the top line at UND. He must have Hakstol family secrets....

Don't post in here often, but yeah Mitch MacMillan couldn't hardly make 4th line at SCSU. Motzko did give him a shot and played him consistently for a while and I think Motzko felt he had better options sitting on the bench, so he kicked MacMillan to the curb basically. I'm shocked he is on the top line at UND. He must have Hakstol family secrets....

I agree 100%...no idea how he made our team. Nothing against SCSU but almost all of their players wouldn't even be on UND's recruiting radar.

The first one. Bad angle, 30 feet out.

That was a quick turnaround shot that the goalie was not expecting. Totally surprised the goalie. Shows you what may happen when you throw pucks at the net, which SCSU has not done well until recently.

The first one. Bad angle, 30 feet out.

Was Hanoski's the second one? I may have missed the first one. Either way the second and third goals were defensive breakdowns and Zane did get peppered. His stats were average....the rest of the teams (excluding Rocco's) were below average. After watching the game....I wouldn't focus solely on the goalie play.

Was Hanoski's the second one? I may have missed the first one. Either way the second and third goals were defensive breakdowns and Zane did get peppered. His stats were average....the rest of the teams (excluding Rocco's) were below average. After watching the game....I wouldn't focus solely on the goalie play.

Yup-

Goal 1: Zane not positionally sound. Low probability shot goes in.

Goal 2: Panzo loses an edge, too slow to get back into position. Hanowski alone in front.

Yzerman19 quits watching the train wreck.

I agree 100%...no idea how he made our team. Nothing against SCSU but almost all of their players wouldn't even be on UND's recruiting radar.

Then I guess UND missed recruiting some pretty darn good players. Our freshman class has been stellar for us this year. Oh and I heard Leblanc and Hanowski are pretty good too. Jensen and Prochno would start on any WCHA team....except for UND I guess... :D

Yup-

Goal 1: Zane not positionally sound. Low probability shot goes in.

Goal 2: Panzo loses an edge, too slow to get back into position. Hanowski alone in front.

Yzerman19 quits watching the train wreck.

I didn't stop watching, but I was as close as I have been in years.

Then I guess UND missed recruiting some pretty darn good players. Our freshman class has been stellar for us this year. Oh and I heard Leblanc and Hanowski are pretty good too. Jensen and Prochno would start on any WCHA team....except for UND I guess... :D

Scsu played great, congrats.