SiouxSports.com Forum

Vikings

Fetch

The defensive secondaries of both teams today was a joke. A number of stupid plays both ways. Green Bay player with the hands to the face in the fourth quarter.....Jefferson letting Finley get behind him to make it close on that 3rd and 20 play that the official got the spot wrong on.....leaving Jennings with no one within 30 yards of him in the end zone....

That was the Vikings defense channeling their inner Denny Green era defense.

My biggest surprise was how bad both D's were 2nd half. I didn't see that coming at all.

Now we know Webb is No RGIII or he would have been starting this whole year - He needs to Go - Ponder ???????????????? Get a good back up that we know can play

Maybe keep Wright the rest can go - Harvin is Great But I don't get his head games & not being with the team - He is worth some good draft picks or trades

The Really Frustrating thing is the Vikings were a good team this year - The D is good - Peterson amazing O line played good & really Harvin is very good too - with another reciever like Marshall from the Bears or Johnson from Detroit & this team would of been able to win it all

Ponder ???????????? I do think he has potential but needs a better than average back up

It's damned frustrating how this yr ended

Whoa, there is way too much negativity on here. This team went from 3-13 to 10-6 and back into the playoffs. The defense has good, young talent on it. The offensive line has stabilized. AP is in the prime of his career. What we need now is another great draft in April. That means getting some WR talent that wasn't taken off the practice squad of another team. That means adding depth to the defense. That means getting another QB prospect to back up Ponder and give him some competition in practice (I don't think Webb is the answer). If we can do those things in the offseason, we'll be a solid team again next year with the chance to take another step forward. Patience people. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is an NFL team.

Wright seemed to have good chemistry with Ponder, maybe when they get Harvin back he will be able to produce and keep teams from double-teaming Harvin all the time. The other thing they need to work on is pass-blocking, they freely admit they steer towards run-blocking on draft day but my god Ponder never has more than a second or two before he is on the run.

Call San Fran, offer them Toby G and your second round pick (and a provisional) for Alex Smith.

Or, call Seattle, offer them Toby G and your third round pick (and a provisional) for Matt Flynn.

Either of those are good ideas. Thankfully Fraizer doesn't have the control over personnel that Childress did.

I agree with the QB discussion. Ponder isn't the answer. They have got to get better there. AP is in the prime of his career, and you need a quarterback that will win games in the now.

A.P....Harvin.....defense that is getting better.........Need to get un one-dimensional on offense.

Immediate draft needs:

~Wide Receiver

~Quarterback

~Defensive line depth.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

well now Harvin is gone

we have Jennings

& Cassel to back up Ponder

they cut Winfield (who I loved to watch play) hope he comes back

the draft is next

I should just not read about things in the off season

Will we be better ? ? ? ???

well now Harvin is gone

we have Jennings

& Cassel to back up Ponder

they cut Winfield (who I loved to watch play) hope he comes back

the draft is next

I should just not read about things in the off season

Will we be better ? ? ? ???

My knee-jerk reaction when they traded Harvin was "oh shi%", but it appears to be the right decision. He has made it known that he doesn't want to resign in Minnesota, and the money he wants is too much for someone who has never had a 1000 yard season, is relatively small for a receiver and has been banged up constantly the last year and a half, and fights the migraine issue off and on during the season. Don't get me wrong he is exciting and has provided the Vikings many big plays the last few years, but paying him Megatron-type money? You just can't. Getting a 1st, 3rd, and 7th round pick for someone you will probably lose in free agency is pretty decent.

Winfield looks like a salary-cap casualty, and according to the Star Trib Frazier has talked to him about coming back at a reduced price, but others will be looking at him also so it's probably less than a 50% chance he will be back. Hard to replace the attitude he brings to the field.

Cassel...meh. Another half-ass QB, should trade him to the Jets right now and get a draft pick or two.

The Jennings signing was a good deal for them, he'll provide them with a downfield target they haven't had since Rice left, and the price was right. I was actually hoping they could lure Wallace to Minnesota, but Jennings is no slouch either. Now if Ponder or whoever can get the ball to him downfield will be the next question.

They should get a lot of help in the draft, they have 2 first round picks, 2 fourth round picks, and 3 seventh round picks, so they should be able to fill a lot of needs or even package some picks to move up or make a trade. Should be an interesting draft day for the Vikings, they have some holes to address...need a WR, LB, and secondary help.

Will we be better...I'll reserve judgement until I see the opening day lineup.

Was sad to see Jennings go but he wanted more years and money than the Packers were willing to pay. Also feel he wants to be THE guy again. Wasn't going to be that in GB. Jennings for Harvin...Vikes take a hit. Jennings is strictly a WR. He will learn quickly Ponder isn't close to A-Rog. Harvin is a playmaker...big difference.

It really depends on what the Vikings do with their picks from the Harvin trade before I will make a judgement on the "Harvin for Jennings" scenario.

People shouldn't call this a "Harvin for Jennings" scenario, it's more a "Harvin for draft picks or Harvin walks in a year" scenario, he wanted to leave and Minnesota struck a deal while they still had bargaining power.

Yes, I agree. It's only a "Harvin for Jennings" scenario if you actually thought the Vikings had a shot to sign Percy to a long-term deal. That wasn't in the cards and I think the Vikings did pretty well all things considered. I was mainly referring to how Oxbow presented the situation.

Yes, I agree. It's only a "Harvin for Jennings" scenario if you actually thought the Vikings had a shot to sign Percy to a long-term deal. That wasn't in the cards and I think the Vikings did pretty well all things considered. I was mainly referring to how Oxbow presented the situation.

Bottom line the Vikes lost a #1 WR in Harvin. They picked up a #1 WR in Jennings. Factor in all the what if's you want but on face value the Vikings IMO would have been better off with Harvin due to his overall play making ability...if they could have struck a deal.

As a Packer fan...I'm good with the exchange above as far as the Vikings are concerned.

Bottom line the Vikes lost a #1 WR in Harvin. They picked up a #1 WR in Jennings. Factor in all the what if's you want but on face value the Vikings IMO would have been better off with Harvin due to his overall play making ability...if they could have struck a deal.

As a Packer fan...I'm good with the exchange above as far as the Vikings are concerned.

Not if he was going to sulk and moan all the time. The coaching staff has better things to do with their time. And I think you might have a different perspective about all this if Jennings rips the Packers for 200+ receiving yards the first time he faces his old team. :)

Not if he was going to sulk and moan all the time. The coaching staff has better things to do with their time. And I think you might have a different perspective about all this if Jennings rips the Packers for 200+ receiving yards the first time he faces his old team. :)

Don't need to worry bout your last sentence when AP goes for 200+ every game vs Pack.

But all things being equal a behaved Harivin would be better than Jennings for MN if it would have worked out. As would have Jennings staying in GB for GB.

• 1 month later...