SiouxSports.com Forum

Pre Spring 2013 Team Outlook

geaux_sioux

Seems Muss likes to play seniority almost regardless of talent? Did Sparks touch the ball after the first game? If not how do you evaluate his game talent? I can't believe he'd be that far behind miller in practices.

I don't know if its fair to say that. He did bench Goska and play Bradley before later putting back in Goska. At least in that situation he played who was best and not who was the senior.

I don't know if its fair to say that. He did bench Goska and play Bradley before later putting back in Goska. At least in that situation he played who was best and not who was the senior.

I'd dispute that Bradley was better. He could throw a better spiral and looked decent in controlled practice settings where the d line couldn't murder him. Then came game day and he was the worst QB I've ever seen at UND and was too frail to survive in the pocket and too slow to move out of it. Goska was much better than him and was an actual leader.

I'd dispute that Bradley was better. He could throw a better spiral and looked decent in controlled practice settings where the d line couldn't murder him. Then came game day and he was the worst QB I've ever seen at UND and was too frail to survive in the pocket and too slow to move out of it. Goska was much better than him and was an actual leader.

I agree with you on all of that stuff. Alls I was saying is that muss was trying to put the best guy on the field regardless of seniority it seemed.

I agree with you on all of that stuff. Alls I was saying is that muss was trying to put the best guy on the field regardless of seniority it seemed.

Jake Miler over Sutton also. Peters and Rattelle over Otto. Anderson over Herschner. Hardin over whomever it was when he was a freshman. RJ McGill over Dressler. Jameer Jackson over Heimler and Townsend. Are all decent examples.

You can't really say Sutton was not effective last year. He didn't have break away speed but he was our most consistent back. It would have been really hard to bench him. And with the previous seasons Miller had, they were 1-2 in my book. I don't think it was the backs last year, I think it was the Oline. Need improvement there.

You can't really say Sutton was not effective last year. He didn't have break away speed but he was our most consistent back. It would have been really hard to bench him. And with the previous seasons Miller had, they were 1-2 in my book. I don't think it was the backs last year, I think it was the Oline. Need improvement there.

The offensive line does need to improve in run blocking. With that said, Sutton was the best back on our team last season (with the possible exception of PJ Sparks, but there's no way to know since he didn't play). 170 lbs. RBs are not going to work well every down in the Big Sky - the defenses are too athletic and physical. That's why Jake Miller and Jer Garman are nothing more than 3rd down backs in the Big Sky, and it's also why the 220 lbs frame of Sutton made him our best back last season. Just look at the statistics; Sutton was far and away our best running back last season in terms of performance. Another concern is durability; look at what happened to Miller against Northern Colorado when there was no Sutton to spell him (and that led to Garman being our short-yardage back on the pivotal 4th and 1).

Next season, Sparks and/or Patrick Sharp need to emerge or it could be another year with a limited running game.

EDIT: Miller had 543 yards last season compared to Sutton's 467 yards rushing; however, Sutton had almost the same yds/gm as Miller (49.7 yds/gm for Miller vs. 46.7 yds/gm for Sutton) and Sutton had 11 TD versus Miller's 2 TDs. Of course, Sutton was used more as a goal line back than Miller.

Any thoughts who the leader will be in our RFr QB battle? Mollberg or Bartels.

IMO I would think Mollberg since he has the hometown (DL) advantage but it all comes down to skills who is the better passer, playmaker, and who has the mentality to lead this team.

IMO I would think Mollberg since he has the hometown (DL) advantage but it all comes down to skills who is the better passer, playmaker, and who has the mentality to lead this team.

From what everyone says, both are talented. I don't think Mollberg being local will play into it at all. Should be a great battle!

I think this will be an epic battle. Luckily both are good kids and things shouldn't get ugly. Just a good healthy competition that makes everyone better.

I agree with the hometown advantage; this thing won't be a TRUE competition. Mollberg already has the job wrapped up.

Mussman said Mollberg was their #1 recruit a year ago - I translate that into "he gets the job".

I agree with the hometown advantage; this thing won't be a TRUE competition. Mollberg already has the job wrapped up.

Mussman said Mollberg was their #1 recruit a year ago - I translate that into "he gets the job".

There is no reason to think this wont be a fair battle for the top spot.

With four years of eligibility left for both of them, and a pass heavy offense, I am sure we will get a chance to see plenty of each of them over their careers at UND - it would seem unlikely that there wouldn't be injuries to deal with. We are lucky to have what appears to be the start of some good depth in this position

Ideally, you wouldn't want to see plenty of both of them. You would want the better of the two to start and hold the spot down while he continues to develop and improve over the next 4 years.

As far as top recruits not being handed the starting job, that's fine and all to say, but being the top recruit is still a factor regarding playing time. Coaches obviously understand they need to put the best players on the field, but they also implicitly possess bias due to the effort they put into recruiting their #1 guy. If Bartels was the better quarterback, then I'm sure he would get the job, but I don't feel he is the better QB. He wasn't the better QB coming out of high school, as his offers and FBS attention relative to Mollbergs indicates. I suspect Mollberg has maintained the edge he initially possessed when he was being recruited by UND; thus, he will likely be the starter this fall when it is all said and done.

So, in conclusion, location isn't the factor that will win Mollberg the starting job. The fact he is the better QB, and his pre-college accolades support that, will be the reason Mollberg earns the starting job. I digress.

Getting started on the IPF is fantastic news. It will be a top facility in the region and once phase 2 is complete, it will be the top non game facility in region with one of the nicest indoor tracks in the country. Definately a game changer. Can't wait to bring recruits on campus this summer for camps and show them what is under construction.

• Upvote 1

Getting started on the IPF is fantastic news. It will be a top facility in the region and once phase 2 is complete, it will be the top non game facility in region with one of the nicest indoor tracks in the country. Definately a game changer. Can't wait to bring recruits on campus this summer for camps and show them what is under construction.

What is included with phase 1?

What is included with phase 1?

Phase 1 is the actual practice area. The football field and track and field areas. Phase 2 is the office space locker rooms. I believe there might be some football office space and a new weight room included in Phase 1 but a large majority of the office space for track & field and cross country teams as well as the administrative staff will be included in Phase 2.