SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Kansas State

sioux24/7

Here's my non-statistical assessment of last night's game and the upcoming season:

Huff still feels that he can and should do it all - be a team player, Huff

Free Throws look to be improved

Alonzo Traylor appears to be a nice pick-up

I've never seen Jaron Nash play, but I can bet we're gonna need him pretty badly

The ability to create turnovers is there, but we didn't hold on to the ball as well as we needed to either

Hopefully shooting percent was an anomoly this game - there's no way we can go the season shooting like that

As more than a few mentioned above shooting was not good last night. Even the open looks we got, and there were more than enough, did not go down. It was obvious that K State was returning 8 or 9 guys from last years team, the rolled in a couple very good point guards and big man after big man.

I agree with Dustin above and hopefully the poor shooting of good looks was an anomoly but when we got behind we absolutely buried ourselves with poor shot selection. When your not making the open ones, you can't expect the poor looks to go down. KState really blew it open at that point. I do think Taylor is going to be a good player for us.

I don't think this team will ever learn about bad shots and coach can't/won't insist that they do

I hope you are wrong but this being the 3rd year for our core players I'm becoming concerned after watching last nights game. Anderson is not going to get the flops when he drives and throws the ball up like in the great west. He falls without being touched and thinks he should get the call. Like i've always said a player needs to know what he can make and what he shouldn't shoot. This is as much fault on the coaches since they still do it. Only a few players played as a team and you see what happens. So much one on one. The shooting will come. We have the players that can knock down the shots and I believe last night was just one of those nights, maybe first game chitters against the strongest team we will face all year. One more thing, our motion offense compared to K-state makes ours look motionless. Too many of our players still just standing in one place while 1 or 2 are moving while K-states players are all moving and setting screens all over the place by all the players. Next game wont show us anything but after that lets see the improvement and make the progress thats needed. We need a good road win.

Went 12-17 from the line, which was 70.2% If they can maintain this average for the entire season, that would make me very happy. Last year that percentage was around the 120 range. The important ones

Huff 3-4

Anderson 4-4

Schuler 2-2

No doubt the guys we need with the ball at the end of the games we are leading is Anderson and Schuler. They have proven to be the ones that consistantly make the free throws for us.

Brekke being in fould trouble all night last night didn't help either.

That, along with Traylor and Allard and all the other bigs. I thought despite that Brekke was playing pretty good. It looked like he left off from where he was last year. I think Traylor is going to be good one once he gets his feet wet a little bit.

I feel bad for Allard, I hope he doesn't make a "NOT TOP TEN" for his attemped half court pass :blush:

Did not expect us to win the game and was very impressed in how we played in the first half less the last couple of minutes. Then came the 2nd half when we decided to play as individuals and got destroyed. Poor shot selections and one on three stuff. I'm not concerned on our shooting percentage cause those OPEN shots will start falling for our players that need to take them. Anderson and Huff took way too many bad shots, fortunately this did not cause us a win but in tight games in the future it will. From watching what concerns me alot is we still have zero depth at the 5 spot. When Brekke is in foul trouble we will get destroyed. Traylor did a great job at the 4 spot and I assume he will remain there due to Nash being possibly out for the year. So that leaves us Wilmer and Archer at the 5 backup, no change from last year. The Big Sky schedule will test Brekke due to his undersize going against bigger and stronger bigs to see if he can stay in the game. When he's not in the game its bad news. Looking forward to the stretch of games beginning at Northern Iowa to see how this team and COACHES respond. Coaches need to get the right players shooting the right shots now, not later as in the past.

• Upvote 1

Did not expect us to win the game and was very impressed in how we played in the first half less the last couple of minutes. Then came the 2nd half when we decided to play as individuals and got destroyed. Poor shot selections and one on three stuff. I'm not concerned on our shooting percentage cause those OPEN shots will start falling for our players that need to take them. Anderson and Huff took way too many bad shots, fortunately this did not cause us a win but in tight games in the future it will. From watching what concerns me alot is we still have zero depth at the 5 spot. When Brekke is in foul trouble we will get destroyed. Traylor did a great job at the 4 spot and I assume he will remain there due to Nash being possibly out for the year. So that leaves us Wilmer and Archer at the 5 backup, no change from last year. The Big Sky schedule will test Brekke due to his undersize going against bigger and stronger bigs to see if he can stay in the game. When he's not in the game its bad news. Looking forward to the stretch of games beginning at Northern Iowa to see how this team and COACHES respond. Coaches need to get the right players shooting the right shots now, not later as in the past.

Agree with everything you say except the five spot. I know Wilmer isn't a great player by any means but he does have much needed size. He's someone who can spell Brekke and hopefully give us some quality minutes down low. He's not a great shooter, but hopefully he gets fouled when he has the ball down low because he's a decent free throw shooter. Against the K-State big men he did ok but I will be expecting him to do better in conference games and against other mid-major teams.

Drove over to Manhattan for the game with my brother and a friend. Decent first half overall. The biggest difference in the game was that K State has 3 or 4 bigs (and I mean bigs) that they rotated in and out the entire game and we just don't have the size to compete against a front line with that kind of size and depth. They just kept pounding it inside and Brekke and Wilmer both fouled out fairly early in the second half, which wiped out much chance of keeping the score reasonable. Doubt that anyone in the Big Sky has even close to the kind of frontline size and depth that KState has. Nearly everyone shot poorly but, as someone has already pointed out, the shooting should improve, as we're better shooters than we showed Fri. night. It also didn't help any that K State had already played two exhibition games.

Drove over to Manhattan for the game with my brother and a friend. Decent first half overall. The biggest difference in the game was that K State has 3 or 4 bigs (and I mean bigs) that they rotated in and out the entire game and we just don't have the size to compete against a front line with that kind of size and depth. They just kept pounding it inside and Brekke and Wilmer both fouled out fairly early in the second half, which wiped out much chance of keeping the score reasonable. Doubt that anyone in the Big Sky has even close to the kind of frontline size and depth that KState has. Nearly everyone shot poorly but, as someone has already pointed out, the shooting should improve, as we're better shooters than we showed Fri. night. It also didn't help any that K State had already played two exhibition games.

The TV commentators mentioned they played 2 exhibition games plus played 5 games in Europe I believe. That is huge also.

The TV commentators mentioned they played 2 exhibition games plus played 5 games in Europe I believe. That is huge also.

Talk about starting flat footed against a team that was fairly warmed up and at home in a familiar setting. Add on top of that:

No Nash (who has played minutes against K state)

Benton benched for alleged violation of team rules

No Salmonson (still a mystery)

Sounds like a recipe for a K-State tune up to me.

Im just curious and I hate to be negative but why is everyone counting on Benton, did I miss something? No one has really SEEN this kid play....seems to me were getting out hopes for someone who never played a game yet. Is everyone just hopeful or what's the deal there? What about Lenny Antwi? A guy who has Division 1 minutes, let's start being hopeful for him. Not someone who can possibly have as much potential as Haygen from last year. Gotta start being realistic here. If he comes in and contributes then great, but what are the odds of that, with a very guard heavy team as it is. Oh and let's not dismiss Shuler all of sudden because we have "Benton" (a walk-on) who sat out. Samonson is a different story, we need all of the size we can get. Basically dot get your hopes up for someone who is completely unproven.

I can say that I do not have any expectations of Benton. I do have a hope that he will develop into a contributor for UND. For me it doesn't have to be this year, as long as he has a productive career, over the long run. Heck, this year if he gave UND anywhere from 4 to 8 minutes a game, with lock down defense and maybe a basket and a couple of boards, when he saw time on the court-- that would be alright for me. I agree we are guard heavy, but I'm just want Benton to develop and become a solid option for the team. Agree, with Antwi, he took some nice steps as the season progressed last year, he struggled early, but his confidence grew as the season progressed. I think he should be a solid contributor in a key substitute role this season. I believe that should be expected. Salmononson, haven't seen him yet either. I would hope that he can get into the mix, but without seeing practice, I really don't know where they have him slated in relation to Brekke, Wilmer, Allard, Traylor and even Archer in regards to the depth. Plus who knows, if Nash is made elgible by the NCAA, how does that reshuffle the 4 and 5 spots and the personnel that compete in those spots? Still a lot of questions, and I'm curious to see what we'll see in the next 4 to 5 games of how the pieces will be assembled moving forward.

Im just curious and I hate to be negative but why is everyone counting on Benton, did I miss something? No one has really SEEN this kid play....seems to me were getting out hopes for someone who never played a game yet. Is everyone just hopeful or what's the deal there? What about Lenny Antwi? A guy who has Division 1 minutes, let's start being hopeful for him. Not someone who can possibly have as much potential as Haygen from last year. Gotta start being realistic here. If he comes in and contributes then great, but what are the odds of that, with a very guard heavy team as it is. Oh and let's not dismiss Shuler all of sudden because we have "Benton" (a walk-on) who sat out. Samonson is a different story, we need all of the size we can get. Basically dot get your hopes up for someone who is completely unproven.

I was thinking the same thing. Benton is a big unknown and his high school stats where not impressive at all. Hope he develops and contributes down the road but I for one like our 4 guards ( Webb, Anderson, Schuler, Antwi) and would hate to see anyone of them loose minutes. They have the experience and each one has shown to be very explosive if given the chance. If Nash is ineligible I think Benton may take a few minutes in the 3 spot but then again I like it when Schuler plays the 3 also in a backup role. He makes very few mistakes and seems to make the right pass and takes only good shots. Salmonson is tall but again his numbers were not that impressive in college of high school. A lot of hype from the new players but if Nash is ineligible I believe Traylor will be the biggest impact. As green team mentioned above not counting this Wednesday but the games following will show us a lot.

K-State was on ESPN2 last night vs. Alabama Huntsville. Huntsville was brutal. KState won 87-26. Foul trouble on our bigs killed us vs. KState but last night their guards were scoring at will. They will be an interesting team to follow as the year moves along.