SiouxSports.com Forum

My 1st weekend of watching on TV

Fetch

Tim Hennessy also applied............go figure how they made their choice just from the 3 mentioned so far (Sweeney, TH, and Hammer).

Gee, that surprises me a bit. I wouldn't think Hennessy would be too interested in calling football, basketball, and volleyball games. Perhaps he's growing tired of all the travel he's required to do?

Gee, that surprises me a bit. I wouldn't think Hennessy would be too interested in calling football, basketball, and volleyball games. Perhaps he's growing tired of all the travel he's required to do?

Tim did UND football pXp for many years. not sure about basketball, but back in the d2 days, hoops and hockey were same nights.

Tim did UND football pXp for many years. not sure about basketball, but back in the d2 days, hoops and hockey were same nights.

Huh, I never knew that. I know Swygman used to do football, but didn't know about Hennessey. How long has Hennessey been calling games (of any type) for UND?

Yes he did, I was told by Pat Sweeney himself. He was not hired.

He also was not "fired", as many are implying. Maybe Hammer told them he would do the job for half the salary?? Who knows. It is what it is and us bitching and moaning isn't likely to bring about any personnel changes.

Huh, I never knew that. I know Swygman used to do football, but didn't know about Hennessey. How long has Hennessey been calling games (of any type) for UND?

Probably since Dan terhaar left Knox? Mid 80's?

Thought it was cited on undsports.com that its Tim's 34th season calling UND hockey.

Scott miller did football, too. Tim may have followed him there, and terhaar in hockey.

IIRC, (and I could be wrong), but I think Ed Schultz replaced Scott Miller. That was like late 90's I believe. Ed left WDAY for KFGO, and WDAY hired Scott Miller to replace him as NDSU play by play guy, and Ed took over the vacant UND play-by-play position.

I tried the IHART Radio thing on Friday & it was way to delayed to listen to & I could not get on the Ralph's wi-fi

so I bought a radio & listened to Hennessey on Sat - I forgot just how good he is

I had the radio up on full volume & it was hard to hear at times but very little if any delay

IIRC, (and I could be wrong), but I think Ed Schultz replaced Scott Miller. That was like late 90's I believe. Ed left WDAY for KFGO, and WDAY hired Scott Miller to replace him as NDSU play by play guy, and Ed took over the vacant UND play-by-play position.

Finding a little more info. Scott miller was at UND from 92-95. Followed by Schultz. Hennessy must have done football before that. I'm getting old. I know he used to call the games.

Bollman did play by play for UND football and basketball for years. He switched back and forth between play by play and color with Swyg for a while. Hennessy helped on football for a little while before the hockey season started, but I don't think he ever did football play by play. Hockey has always been his main focus. My guess is that one of the factors in choosing Hammer over Sweeney may have been wanting a new face for a new broadcast unit.

I tried the IHART Radio thing on Friday & it was way to delayed to listen to & I could not get on the Ralph's wi-fi

so I bought a radio & listened to Hennessey on Sat - I forgot just how good he is

I had the radio up on full volume & it was hard to hear at times but very little if any delay

It could be because there are so many cell phones in there already. I have trouble in the press box with my lap top as well. Usually happens right before the drop of the puck.

I believe they hired hammer for his expeirence in selling..

he has more expeirence in advertising selling then sweeny

Hennesy does have good advertising expierence but probably doesnt have much football playXplay like hammer does in expeience

I can't believe that I'm feeding you, but to my knowledge, Dan Hammer is not involved in any manner of sales in regards to Midcontinent. And also, I've never known Tim H to have a significant role in sales, the last 15 years or so.

He is on the radio for 3 hours in the mroning

what else do u think he does the rest of the day??? Him and swyg always battle over plug ins for their accoutns and they adknowledge on the air. 1440 am from 6-9 am bud

Why did hammer cold call the place i work out for a slot on the tv then??

He is on the radio for 3 hours in the mroning

what else do u think he does the rest of the day??? Him and swyg always battle over plug ins for their accoutns and they adknowledge on the air. 1440 am from 6-9 am bud

Why did hammer cold call the place i work out for a slot on the tv then??

I know that Tim only works his morning show from 6 to 9 and then afterwards he is an employee of UND, I'm not sure what his other roles include for them other than hockey. But I do know he is not in their sales department. And yes, Dan came to a sales call at my business, but he was not Midco's account exec, nor did he pass himself off as one.

Pat Sweeney was dumped out in the trash along with 20+ years of experience, tradition and ingrained hockey knowledge, and replaced with a high school volleyball announcer who couldn't tell a one timer from a free throw.

All this was done in a veiled attempt at bettering the production of games and exposure, an attempt that so far has only frustrated fans and caused many to take their tvs in for servicing or scheduling eye exams to see if their vision has gone blurry because the administration has repeatedly said there is no problem.

If it had not been for the crews at WDAZ and Pat Sweeney all these years the fan base wouldn't be as large as it is to even try to get more money out of the broadcasts. This is the thanks they got, better dealed at the first opportunity.

Sweeney and crew can now be found in a dumpster behind the ralph with the logo and the "home of the fighting Sioux" letters.

Well that pretty much sums everything up...excellent post!
  • Upvote 3

Sweeney and crew can now be found in a dumpster behind the ralph with the logo and the "home of the fighting Sioux" letters.

Actually, "and crew" is still doing the games for Midco. FSSN hired out freelance videographers. Midco does the same. Most of the crew is not full time, they hire out the same people FSSN did for their broadcasts.

Actually, "and crew" is still doing the games for Midco. FSSN hired out freelance videographers. Midco does the same. Most of the crew is not full time, they hire out the same people FSSN did for their broadcasts.

with crappier equipment...