SiouxSports.com Forum

NCHC Trophies

Siouxperfan7

The MacNaughton Cup is a lovely trophy and will definitely be tough to replace. I would like to see the NCHC adopt a cup style trophy. A friend and I joked that they should model it after the Stanley Cup just to troll the other conferences :D

As for the Broadmoor Trophy, almost anything would be an improvement over the newly designed one. My friends and I refer to it as the "chocolate hotel."

Spencer and Julie Penrose founded the El Pomar Foundation which is a supporter of the NCHC and helped establish its headquarters in Colorado Springs - Penrose Cup/Trophy or the Spencer Cup/Trophy.

Regular Season - The National Cup

Postseason - The NCHC Trophy

The National Cup would be a cup resting on a base of 8 stick blades, with each blade having the name of a member school on it. The name of the winning school would be engraved on the cup, similar to the Stanley Cup.

The NCHC trophy would be have a solid silver puck that would sit on end on a wood base. One side would feature the NCHC logo, the reverse would simply read Playoff Champion. Champions would be added to the base each year. The trophy could simply be marketed as "the Puck". The NCHC Final Four could be "the battle for the Puck"

The eight schools of the NCHC have no collective history, so I don't like the idea of naming new trophies for people with zero affiliation with the NCHC. Let the league build its own history rather than trying to force it. When UND wins 8 of the first 10 title, maybe you rename it the Hakstol Cup, but at this point I think you keep things simple.

The MacNaughton Cup is a lovely trophy and will definitely be tough to replace. I would like to see the NCHC adopt a cup style trophy. A friend and I joked that they should model it after the Stanley Cup just to troll the other conferences :D

As for the Broadmoor Trophy, almost anything would be an improvement over the newly designed one. My friends and I refer to it as the "chocolate hotel."

Had we invited Michigan Tech along to the NCHC, the MacNaughton Cup would have come with it.

As for the Broadmoor Trophy, do you seriously think the 'new' one ISN'T an improvement over the original commissioned in 1981? My kid has trophies from 3rd-4th grade baseball bigger than that one!

It certainly can't get any worse than the revised Cy-Hawk trophy (that has since been scrapped)...nothing says 'ESPN College Gameday' or 'Rivalry Game' better than a trophy of a farm family and a bushel basket of corn!

iowax-inset-community.jpg

Regular Season - The National Cup

Postseason - The NCHC Trophy

The National Cup would be a cup resting on a base of 8 stick blades, with each blade having the name of a member school on it. The name of the winning school would be engraved on the cup, similar to the Stanley Cup.

The NCHC trophy would be have a solid silver puck that would sit on end on a wood base. One side would feature the NCHC logo, the reverse would simply read Playoff Champion. Champions would be added to the base each year. The trophy could simply be marketed as "the Puck". The NCHC Final Four could be "the battle for the Puck"

The eight schools of the NCHC have no collective history, so I don't like the idea of naming new trophies for people with zero affiliation with the NCHC. Let the league build its own history rather than trying to force it. When UND wins 8 of the first 10 title, maybe you rename it the Hakstol Cup, but at this point I think you keep things simple.

Making a trophy that has current member schools will be outdated very quickly if/when teams leave or the conference expands.

D'oh kay!! :lol:

...and you think Western Michigan, a school that has not advanced past the opening round of the NCAA hockey tournament since its inception in 1973, was a better choice? Don't give me the 'big school' WCHA argument since Michigan Tech's arena seats approximately 500 more people than Western's...

...and you think Western Michigan, a school that has not advanced past the opening round of the NCAA hockey tournament since its inception in 1973, was a better choice? Don't give me the 'big school' WCHA argument since Michigan Tech's arena seats approximately 500 more people than Western's...

The goal of the NCHC was getting schools that were committed to their hockey program and supports them financially. I don't know the athletic budget of either schools, but if I were a betting man, I would say that a school that is 4 times the size of MTU and is D1 in all sports has a bigger budget. While I agree there were many other schools they could have taken, the NCHC needed an eastern team to go with Miami OH. Choosing W. Mich. is clearly better than MTU.

Anyway.....getting back to trophies...I think that the National can come up with some good trophies. God help us if it is anything like the Cy-Hawk trophy!! Man...that has to be the worst trophy design in the history of trophies!!!

I still consider it a travesty that Michigan Tech isn't part of NCHC. Tradition alone should get them in. But I digress...

Denver/CC has a pretty cool thing going with the Gold Pan season series. Critics often refer to it as the Bed Pan. That seems to be their thing but I could see that trophy working its way over to the entire league.

I assumed the Broadmoor would have moved along with the NCHC since CC is affiliated with the new conference. I don't see the connection with the new WCHA battling over a landmark trophy representing a location thousands of miles away from a member's campus. DQ Cup seems more appropriate for the new WCHA.

I like the tradition and history that Colorado Springs brings to the sport of college hockey. At its inception, the Broadmoor was where the National Tournament was held and if this is the National Conference, I'd like to see them return to their roots in someway.

How about these suggestions:

-Something Jug related - perhaps a Jug painted wildly with the school colors of the eight respective schools. Jugs are cool and they often contain spirits.

-Something "ice" related. Couldn't we have a giant sculpture that looks like it was carved out of a hunk of ice?

The "Deano" -Dean Blais' head chisled out of ice? I'm thinking something Walt Disney-esque?

- The "Gino" - A pair of his late 70's/ early 80's two-toned eye glasses glued to a plaque? Perhaps a replica of a 25 year old blazer that Gino wore in 1982 that could go to the winning coach.

- The "Skate" - a Giant Bronze Skate? It practically markets itself come tournament time -- "Eight for the Skate"

The goal of the NCHC was getting schools that were committed to their hockey program and supports them financially. I don't know the athletic budget of either schools, but if I were a betting man, I would say that a school that is 4 times the size of MTU and is D1 in all sports has a bigger budget. While I agree there were many other schools they could have taken, the NCHC needed an eastern team to go with Miami OH. Choosing W. Mich. is clearly better than MTU.

Anyway.....getting back to trophies...I think that the National can come up with some good trophies. God help us if it is anything like the Cy-Hawk trophy!! Man...that has to be the worst trophy design in the history of trophies!!!

Imagine the uproar if this was 1995 and Colorado College, Denver, Minnesota, and Wisconsin all decided they wanted to go form their own conference...and leave UND behind. People who look at only the financial commitment to the program as a sure-fire sign of its future success are prety narrow-minded. You can't ignore the history of college hockey and pushing Michigan Tech to the back-burner is a mistake. That program is on the rise...and Mel Pearson and BIll Muckalt are the primary reasons why.

The MacNaughton Cup is a classic...it's a shame it won't be around any longer as far as North Dakota is concerned.

• Upvote 1

Penrose Cup does sound legit and makes sense. There's already a Spencer Penrose award for coach of the year, but that shouldn't preclude reusing it as a conference trophy name...

I don't know...I kinda like GoalieMask's idea of big jugs. :love: We are still talking hockey trophies, right?

• Upvote 2