SiouxSports.com Forum

Eight Bison football players charged

darell1976

Herd,

Please expand on the University Discipline process. I never saw any specifics on it.

You won't see any specifics on the ndsu or the und university discipline processes, they are internal and protected by any university. NDSU at least said that they players would be disciplined by that process, while I did not remember reading that in the paper in september up north, and I haven't seen any info since then.

What games were the und players suspended for, the Manitoba and U-18 exhibitions? Say it isn't so, that's embarrassing if it was. That would be like ndsu suspending players for the green v gold game.

Could the difference be that UND got in front of its situation and suspended a bunch of players and reserved the right to do more later as warranted, and NDSU tried to portray their situation as being victims of their own misgivings and only acted after the pressure (media and public) mounted?

Yes, they got way out in front of it. Far enough in front of it that they prevented all the underage players from receiving Minors, as they obviously should have in this situation.

As far as we know from a media reporting standpoint, there was somthing that happened involving alcohol and underage drinking, and five players got suspended for 1 game. We had Zero knowledge of any charges filed or that any university discipline would occur other than game suspensions. Suspensions occurred at start of the season to limited impact to players and team, because winning is all that really matters, and boys will be boys. Wasn't it bascially a preseason or non-con game where the suspensions occurred? Please enlighten me on the specific game. Also, according to the reporting, no MIPs were issued to all the underage players involved in the situation, just the 5 players who were of legal age who were suspended. What is up with that, did the cops just look the other way?

In NDSU's situation, we had a suspension (1 player for #1 vs #3), university discipline process discussed openly in a press conf, legal charges filed (at the same level as the und players), and medial stories at the start, the middle, the end and still happening with local, state "and" regional papers.

And shockingly, people on this board smugly criticize the ndsu situation as not being treated seriously enough and see the lack of media coverage in the UND situation as no big deal that it was reported in September when no knowledge of legal charges were known. I guess these types of situations are only important and get media coverage when DI championship teams are involved. I guess UND hockey is not the biggest deal in ND or the region.

I can't believe I actually went to dig this up but it lays out everything the athletic dept. did pretty openly. Faison even mentioned charges could be filed and additional actions could be taken. http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=205687839

The reaction by Faison was a little different than Taylor's "they have suffered enough" reaction. You guys keep trying to justify how your AD and coach tripped over thier dicks with that situation. I'm sure the extra conditioning they had to do taught them that forging signitures was wrong.

You won't see any specifics on the ndsu or the und university discipline processes, they are internal and protected by any university. NDSU at least said that they players would be disciplined by that process, while I did not remember reading that in the paper in september up north, and I haven't seen any info since then.

What games were the und players suspended for, the Manitoba and U-18 exhibitions? Say it isn't so, that's embarrassing if it was. That would be like ndsu suspending players for the green v gold game.

See the link above. Seems like there are some specifics in there. The UND players were suspended the first regular season games that were played after they were in trouble. Not some extra gassers at practice. Go ahead and keep trying though.

Here's the UND way of handling it. Downplay the severity of it and make it appear like your so swift and hard. Spin it into an NDSU vs UND thing.

Then when 5 class a misdemeanors occur, dont report it and pretend like you handled it. Talk about some good PR people. You get to claim you handled it proactively while your lapdog media ignores it on command.

Here's the UND way of handling it. Downplay the severity of it and make it appear like your so swift and hard. Spin it into an NDSU vs UND thing.

Then when 5 class a misdemeanors occur, dont report it and pretend like you handled it. Talk about some good PR people. You get to claim you handled it proactively while your lapdog media ignores it on command.

Gabe, give me a quote or a link where anyone at UND compared the situation to FU?

They were suspended for the opening tournament of the year in Alaska, like a kick off classic. Regular season games. What games were your players suspended for?

Also, you said it was "openly discussed" about what the internal university discipline process is. So I asked you what it was and you didn't know. As far as we know they did absolutely nothing because nothing was reported, right?

Why would UND report 5 misdemeanors? They are not a media company.

Downplay it and not be proactive by issuing a release and suspending players before any charges are filed? That probably seems strange to you after watching FU's attempt at PR, but it was not downplayed and they did get in front of it. And I didn't see a word about FU in UND's press release so not sure where you get that from? You also must have missed this part:

"The behavior in this situation was unacceptable," Faison said. "Measures taken by the athletics department do not preclude possible additional measures by the department, or actions by the University or local and state authorities."

Faison clearly stated that something more could happen and it did. If you want get upset about it, then send an e-mail to the Herald for not reporting anything additional.

Downplay it and not be proactive by issuing a release and suspending players before any charges are filed? That probably seems strange to you after watching FU's attempt at PR, but it was not downplayed and they did get in front of it. And I didn't see a word about FU in UND's press release so not sure where you get that from? You also must have missed this part:

Faison clearly stated that something more could happen and it did. If you want get upset about it, then send an e-mail to the Herald for not reporting anything additional.

It looks like Faison has all of gFU's bases covered, should anything happen anywhere in the university for the next 1-2 years, with his comforting blanket statements that something more could happen if warranted. It's very soothing, comforting and out front of him. If I was the media, I would just leave it alone, he is clearly in charge of the situation, and out front.

What is strange to me is how 5 players get Misdimeanor charges for contributing to minors, yet the remainder of the team that were all underage and the specific reason for these charges being filed just walk away with nothing. Did the police not show up, and the players just volunteered for a Class A Mis because Faison wanted to get out in front of it? Or did the police look the other way with a slough of MIPs when the university got involved? How does that happen? Why didn't the AD get out in front of the the underage situation and suspend them also? I'm sure it is being handled with the university discinplinary process, or maybe it will be handled at a future date where "somthing more could happen". These are questions that would be printed in the NDSU situation, but are off limits at gFU where the media doesn't touch it.

It looks like Faison has all of gFU's bases covered, should anything happen anywhere in the university for the next 1-2 years, with his comforting blanket statements that something more could happen if warranted. It's very soothing, comforting and out front of him. If I was the media, I would just leave it alone, he is clearly in charge of the situation, and out front.

What is strange to me is how 5 players get Misdimeanor charges for contributing to minors, yet the remainder of the team that were all underage and the specific reason for these charges being filed just walk away with nothing. Did the police not show up, and the players just volunteered for a Class A Mis because Faison wanted to get out in front of it? Or did the police look the other way with a slough of MIPs when the university got involved? How does that happen? Why didn't the AD get out in front of the the underage situation and suspend them also? I'm sure it is being handled with the university discinplinary process, or maybe it will be handled at a future date where "somthing more could happen". These are questions that would be printed in the NDSU situation, but are off limits at gFU where the media doesn't touch it.

Grab your phone and call the GFPD or UND police and interrogate them. We're we there no, are we reporters no.

Glad that you are so concerned with UND athletics that you've now e-mailed Norwood Teague (UM athletic director) suggesting they don't play UND in hockey anymore and have also e-mailed the media with some updates on a story that was from 4 months ago. Must have some free time on the farm this winter.

So MIP's should be reason for suspension now?

Grab your phone and call the GFPD or UND police and interrogate them. We're we there no, are we reporters no.

It doesn't seem strange to you that Mis charges are handed out to 5 guys because of an underage situation, and no MIPs are issued to the minors involved? Was that part of a plea bargain? That seem strange to me. Usually you would have both, and the players with the MIPs would not be discinplined significantly or suspended for a 1st offense, but at least it would be in the public record. I would like to see a media story or the university expalin what happened. Right now that situation seems very fishy, and Faison is far from out front on this issue. Obvioulsy he did not want it known that the majority of the team was involved. That's how it appears.

It doesn't seem strange to you that Mis charges are handed out to 5 guys because of an underage situation, and no MIPs are issued to the minors involved? Was that part of a plea bargain? That seem strange to me. Usually you would have both, and the players with the MIPs would not be discinplined significantly or suspended for a 1st offense, but at least it would be in the public record. I would like to see a media story or the university expalin what happened. Right now that situation seems very fishy, and Faison is far from out front on this issue. Obvioulsy he did not want it known that the majority of the team was involved. That's how it appears.

There were minors handed out to the players that were at the dorms when the police showed up. The police never showed up at the party, so how would they have been able to hand out minors to the others? Quite certain this was detailed in multiple articles in September when this happened.

The real question is why is the media not reporting the charges? If they did, nobody would be pissed. Not even a mention.

Once again, this isn't a UND issue. This is a Herald and Forum issue, or any other newspaper that reports on things that happen in North Dakota. Why not grill them about this instead of trying to spin it as though Faison has done something wrong?

Connor Gaarder, Andrew Panzarella and Stephane Payne were suspended for the 2nd regular season game for violation of team rules at the same party. You can Google it and find the info. There were stories on it on UND's athletic website, the Herald and the Star Tribune with comments from Faison and Hak.

OH MY GOD!!! I am so sick of hearing about how Furum Communications is in the tank for UND and is out to get NDSU. How they cover up stories that happen to UND athletes and continually reports on a story about NDSU players getting in trouble. How printing player profile pictures used in the game program in the Herald/Forum are some how supposed to be portrayed as mug shots. This is so pathetic!! Both stories in question were reported by the Herald/Forum. The reason why they were covered so differently is because of how each school handled each situation. Sure both were serious offences. One was handled swiftly and decisively. The other dragged their feet and did not punish the players and as a result, created the media scrutiny.

• Upvote 3

Players were suspended for the season opening tournament in Alaska. Those Alaska games affect the final RPI and PWR calculations that are used to select at-large teams to the NCAA tournament.

Players were not suspended for exhibition games.

I'm so sick of seeing actual details on this situation. I call shenanigans.

NDSU fans don't follow hockey, or care about UND for that matter, yet here they are. What's next? Forensic accountants?

Players were suspended for the season opening tournament in Alaska. Those Alaska games affect the final RPI and PWR calculations that are used to select at-large teams to the NCAA tournament.

Players were not suspended for exhibition games.

The media never would have pursued the case against the bizon football players so much if Gene Taylor had just admitted that what happened was a crime and deserved punishment / suspensions. A half game suspension during the Prairie View A&M game would have sufficed. Yet that PR genius Gene just kept waxing on about how these players didn't do anything seriously wrong and how persecuted they were. Yet the Attorney General and Secretary of State goes on about how serious these forgery charges were. Oh, the poor bison players, they can't help that they are stupid.

Bizon fans, pull your heads out of your asses just once and lay the blame for all the media attention with the person that made it 100 times worse: Gene Taylor. The arrogance from him is what got your program all kinds of media limelight, which was well deserved.

This whole event just shows how sensitive bizon fans are to charges that their football program has been corrupted. Its just not player stupidity, but administrative sensibility. UND's administration got an "A". NDSU's, specifically Taylor, got an "F" for both PR and ethics. Taylor created another black eye for NDSU football through his handling of the whole case, not the media.

The drinking story and suspensions were reported in the Forum, the Herald, the Tribune, the Sun, on WDAY, on Valley News Live, on Kare 11, on the UND website...how much more do people want? UND reported it and acted on it and now it's awaiting court, there's no conspiracy here.

And when it gets to court the result will be in all the media outlets again only because it was athletes involved, not because it was a contributing charge which will be a rather minor puishment.

The media doesn't really care about the story because there's no controversy surrounding it...if UND would have kept it a secret, tried to lie their way out of it, or ignored it and didn't punish those involved, then the media would have had the ammo they needed to make a big stink out of it, as is happened UND handled it correctly and the sensational headline was just not there.