SiouxSports.com Forum

Notre Dame to the Big 10?

IrishSiouxFan

I just saw this on another board. I know the Big 10 has been courting them for a while now but the Irish were always reluctant to give up football independence. The article looks shady and you would think ESPN and other bigger sports networks would be all over this story. Anybody heard anymore about this recently? If true, BTHC will have a huge recruiting advantage.

http://sportales.com/football/notre-dame-joining-big-10/

• 2 weeks later...

So I was just reading the following article:

http://insidehockey....e-other-options

If what they report is true regarding Nortre Dame's reasoning for bailing on the NCHC, then the leadership at UND should have more mud on their face than even before, making them very dirty fellas.

Hear is my reasoning; UND is the undisputed top draw/program in the NCHC. We are the face of that conference and it's not even close. So there we were attempting to ink an accord with the other NCHC schools, none of which have anything like our UNPRECEDENTED NATIONAL TV contract which put the SIOUX into any home in America and beyond who so chose, and there was Notre Dame who wanted the option of getting their own TV deal. So the conference says bye bye to Notre Dame and we allowed it? The discussions should have been LED by UND and we should have said "sure" to the deal. Then we would have had status quo on our deal and added a big name school to offset the likes of St.Cloud. Then we have Notre Dame, whose own TV deal would have probably yielded a net increase in the number of national TV coverage for the conference as a whole(two national games at once?), and we have our right to re-sign our amazing deal with Fox Sports.

It is so amazing to me how much damage our leaders have done to threaten the highly sucessfull position the Sioux Hockey program has become. I've been a big time Sioux fan since the 1980's and I understand how far the hockey program has come since then and it was a special program then. Now I fear it has peaked. .. I hope I am wrong but it has taken a sh^t ton of hits and the damage is yet to be seen. And when I hear something like what was reported in this article it makes me cringe..

If what they report is true regarding Nortre Dame's reasoning for bailing on the NCHC, then the leadership at UND should have more mud on their face than even before, making them very dirty fellas.

Hear is my reasoning; UND is the undisputed top draw/program in the NCHC. We are the face of that conference and it's not even close. So there we were attempting to ink an accord with the other NCHC schools, none of which have anything like our UNPRECEDENTED NATIONAL TV contract which put the SIOUX into any home in America and beyond who so chose, and there was Notre Dame who wanted the option of getting their own TV deal. So the conference says bye bye to Notre Dame and we allowed it? The discussions should have been LED by UND and we should have said "sure" to the deal. Then we would have had status quo on our deal and added a big name school to offset the likes of St.Cloud. Then we have Notre Dame, whose own TV deal would have probably yielded a net increase in the number of national TV coverage for the conference as a whole(two national games at once?), and we have our right to re-sign our amazing deal with Fox Sports.

It is so amazing to me how much damage our leaders have done to threaten the highly sucessfull position the Sioux Hockey program has become. I've been a big time Sioux fan since the 1980's and I understand how far the hockey program has come since then and it was a special program then. Now I fear it has peaked. .. I hope I am wrong but it has taken a sh^t ton of hits and the damage is yet to be seen. And when I hear something like what was reported in this article it makes me cringe..

Yeah, I can't believe the NCHC would have snubbed Notre Dame over an inferior TV deal with CBS. I believe that Notre Dame wanted to be in a competitive league with schools they have more in common with academically and I think Hockey East provides that. I hate to sound like a B'ville troll, but outside of the hockey world our institution is not that visible, a lot of prospective Notre Dame hockey fans have never heard of us. In terms of visibility, the NCHC needed Notre Dame much more than they needed us. It's too bad UND couldn't have been the 12th school Hockey East added, then the CCHA might have been saved and the WCHA could have remained as it were without UND, UM, and UW.

I bet with NBC sports we could still have fcs since the NBC sports would be a notre dame contract

We should have just stayed in the WCHA, added Miami, and called it a day. UND would have had a better tv deal (in terms of exposure), and still be playing in a conference with DU, CC, UMD, and Miami. It's starting to look like the NCHC was very unnecessary.

If what they report is true regarding Nortre Dame's reasoning for bailing on the NCHC...

Hear is my reasoning; UND is the undisputed top draw/program in the NCHC. We are the face of that conference and it's not even close. So there we were attempting to ink an accord with the other NCHC schools, none of which have anything like our UNPRECEDENTED NATIONAL TV contract which put the SIOUX into any home in America and beyond who so chose, and there was Notre Dame who wanted the option of getting their own TV deal. So the conference says bye bye to Notre Dame and we allowed it?

This has been common knowledge...

Notre Dame had a preference for the NCHC because of its Western footprint, but the NCHC ultimately decided it didn't want to accept Notre Dame with its TV deal in tow. Hockey East was the remaining option, but it's hardly a bad one.

We should have just stayed in the WCHA, added Miami, and called it a day. UND would have had a better tv deal (in terms of exposure), and still be playing in a conference with DU, CC, UMD, and Miami. It's starting to look like the NCHC was very unnecessary.

Oh how I agree. I mean I will give it a chance but I don't understand why they messed with a good thing despite Minny and Bucky leaving for the Big 6.

Who would you rather see UND play? MTU, MSU-M, UAA or WMU, SCSU, Miami U?

I always had a soft spot for tech and I like to go to the kato series every year if just for the fact that I can get there and never have to put on my winter jacket due to their skywalks... uaa, well.... meh

I am fond of the Duluth, SCSU and BSU series... In the whole grand scheme of things the fans had no say in this matter... I figure we might as well get on board because the changes are coming anyways.

Accepting Notred Dame would have been better for UND, and the NCHC, in three very important ways.

First, with Notre Dame in place, there would have been no reason to add St. Cloud. The NCHC could have added Western Michigan as the 8th member and called it a day. Who brings more to a conference, Notre Dame or St. Cloud? That's a no brainer.

Second, the NCHC could have gotten the benefits of Notre Dame's great television contract. NBC Sports Network is on basic cable for most people in the county and there is no need to buy a sports-tier package to get it. The exposure that would have provided to UND and the conference would have been outstanding. Sure, Notre Dame would be the focal point of the coverage and would get the most benefit from it, but it would have increased coverage and been a benefit to the other NCHC members as well. You don't turn down a great opportunity just beacuse it's better for someone else. Notre Dame was going to have that television contract regardless of what the NCHC did. It was just a question of who was going to get the secondary benefits. The NCHC handed those benefits to Hockey East.

Third, UND could have kept its deal with Fox College Sports. I never understood the all-for-one mentality of the NCHC and the exclusivity clause in its television contract. Even if CBS Sports Network would have snubbed the NCHC without the exclusivity clause (which we don't know to be a fact), the conference as a whole would still have been better off with the television contracts of Notre Dame, UND, and DU than with the crappy deal it got with CBS Sports Network. You don't keep the entire conference down in the name of equality.

Yes, I realize UND was technically only 1/6 of the NCHC at the time these decisions were made. But let's be real. UND and DU started the NCHC. Without UND, the conference wouldn't exist. UND could have made it a prerequisite to starting this conference that it get to keep its television deal and a conference exclusivity clause would not be on the table. Do you really think the rest of the schools wouldn't have joined the conference if UND had done that? Hardly. The way I see it, UND is using the conference as a public relations cover for its own bad decision.

I was really excited about the NCHC when it was first announced, but it's been one disappointment after another ever since.

• Upvote 1

I believe UND would have been fine to stay in the WCHA but did you all forget who runs the WCHA. It has become clear that McCloud is quite incompetent. I am sure if McCloud had moved on or was replaced most of the wcha would have stayed together.

• Upvote 1

Who would you rather see UND play? MTU, MSU-M, UAA or WMU, SCSU, Miami U?

Honestly, if the NCHC hadn't been formed UND would most likely be playing all the aforementioned schools all in one conference. I believe that when the NCHC was originally formed they wanted to have UND, DU, Miami, Notre Dame, BU, BC, and Air Force (i'm probably forgetting at least one or two more schools). Now that would have been a fierce, BTHC killing conference with high visibility. Unfortunately, now we have a conference that is better than the WCHA but has a terrible tv package plus a very undesirable program like St. Cloud in it's midst. I'm definitely not advocating for the boycott of the NCHC, it's what we have and we have to go for it, I just wish UND and DU would have measured twice and cut once before creating a new conference.

I'm definitely not advocating for the boycott of the NCHC, it's what we have and we have to go for it, I just wish UND and DU would have measured twice and cut once before creating a new conference.

What needs to happen is the leadership at UND should be held accountable for these outcomes.

But this never see ms to happen.

Very bad things keep on happening and the same behavior is exhibited by those in charge.