SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

I'm at a loss as to why we didn't bring in a whole lot more recruits this weekend. Afterall, the weather was perfect and the hockey team was playing at the Ralph. It would seem like someone dropped the ball here, especially with signing day only 3 weeks away. I just hope we have enough interested guys with talent left to go after.

I said two months ago that recruiting was going to be the dark spot in our future and it sure looks like that's how it's playing out. I'm also going to repeat something else, you can have the best coaches in all of football, but they can't win if you don't have the talent.

There has to be a wholesale change in recruiting strategy next year. We can't just talk about getting these guys, we have to get them on campus and show them we are a serious football program, otherwise, the death spiral we are currently in will just go on and on, and I'm starting to believe it will. Four verbals so far when we need close to 25 with the grads and the defections.

Rant over.

I am as anxious as you are to get this program back to what it once was. But we need to be patient about this. Bubba has a lot of work ahead of him and I don't think 2014 will feature a lot of wins. In a couple of years, I think we'll have a winning program again and in five years I expect us to be in the playoffs. All in good time my friend. All in good time.

I am as anxious as you are to get this program back to what it once was. But we need to be patient about this. Bubba has a lot of work ahead of him and I don't think 2014 will feature a lot of wins. In a couple of years, I think we'll have a winning program again and in five years I expect us to be in the playoffs. All in good time my friend. All in good time.

Five years for playoffs? Bubba's contract is only for four years.

In college football, if the coach knows what he's doing and is given the appropriate resources, quick turnarounds are common. I don't expect playoffs next season, but no one should expect us to wait five years. Playoffs should happen within three years, most likely the third season

One has to consider the expanded playoff format. No reason we can't be this year's Southern Utah within a few seasons. With a solid defense and physical/disciplined offense, and of course respectable leadership, UND should improve quite quickly under Bubba.

Five years for playoffs? Bubba's contract is only for four years.

In college football, if the coach knows what he's doing and is given the appropriate resources, quick turnarounds are common. I don't expect playoffs next season, but no one should expect us to wait five years. Playoffs should happen within three years, most likely the third season

One has to consider the expanded playoff format. No reason we can't be this year's Southern Utah within a few seasons. With a solid defense and physical/disciplined offense, and of course respectable leadership, UND should improve quite quickly under Bubba.

I hope you are right, but with the large number of players leaving the program it might take longer than we would like. It's possible we could make the playoffs in a couple of years, but I think it will take a little longer to win some games once we get there. I am taking a long-term view of this, not short-term. One step at a time.

I hope you are right, but with the large number of players leaving the program it might take longer than we would like. It's possible we could make the playoffs in a couple of years, but I think it will take a little longer to win some games once we get there. I am taking a long-term view of this, not short-term. One step at a time.

Agreed. This recruiting class may end up being a small one, and I don't blame the coaches if it is. That may make next year's recruits the first big class. They'd be redshirting in Bubba Year 2 and freshmen in Bubba Year 3. So it may take a while.

I don't think that this recruiting class will be as weak as some might think. Bubba probably has a relationship with some recruits and is working on a few other quality players. It may not be a huge recruiting class, but I think he will be able to work his magic and pull in some solid players. Ok, now you can go ahead and start ripping me for drinking the kool aid.

I don't think that this recruiting class will be as weak as some might think. Bubba probably has a relationship with some recruits and is working on a few other quality players. It may not be a huge recruiting class, but I think he will be able to work his magic and pull in some solid players. Ok, now you can go ahead and start ripping me for drinking the kool aid.

The kool aid is starting to taste good again...drink up!

• Upvote 2

I agree.

I agree

Agreed. This recruiting class may end up being a small one, and I don't blame the coaches if it is. That may make next year's recruits the first big class. They'd be redshirting in Bubba Year 2 and freshmen in Bubba Year 3. So it may take a while.

That puts some good perspective on how long the turnaround process MIGHT take. IF next year is Bubba's first big recruiting class, it would be Bubba Year 4 by the time they're sophomores (assuming they redshirt) and ready to make some kind of an impact. Building, and doing it the right way, takes time. Naturally, we're all hoping for sooner and there are a number of things that could contribute to that, i.e, dropdowns, a few good JuCo.'s and the impact of existing players being coached up. My guess is that we'll be in position to challenge for the playoffs by year 3 or 4.

BTW, I think I read that we lost Adams. Was that due to his injury being career-ending or is he transferring?

That puts some good perspective on how long the turnaround process MIGHT take. IF next year is Bubba's first big recruiting class, it would be Bubba Year 4 by the time they're sophomores (assuming they redshirt) and ready to make some kind of an impact. Building, and doing it the right way, takes time. Naturally, we're all hoping for sooner and there are a number of things that could contribute to that, i.e, dropdowns, a few good JuCo.'s and the impact of existing players being coached up. My guess is that we'll be in position to challenge for the playoffs by year 3 or 4.

BTW, I think I read that we lost Adams. Was that due to his injury being career-ending or is he transferring?

Even though we have lost a few players, I believe that our current roster has talent and a few additions would help us be competitive over the next 2 years. I do think the playoffs are within reach by year 3 and conference title could come as soon as 4th or 5th year. Bubba might have a 4 year contract, but he will show enough improvement for a extension and hopefully a nice raise to keep him here.

His knee wouldn't let him play. Really unfortunate for him. The bright side is he'll get his education paid for and we have the field of his choice which is why he came here in the first place.

His knee wouldn't let him play. Really unfortunate for him. The bright side is he'll get his education paid for and we have the field of his choice which is why he came here in the first place.

Why would he get his education paid for? Would they hold a scholarship for a transfer that never played a down? Did he even make it through camp?

Why would he get his education paid for? Would they hold a scholarship for a transfer that never played a down? Did he even make it through camp?

In most cases at most schools if you are on scholarship and can no longer play due to injury you still get your scholarship honored (I'm assuming the injury must occur while participating in the sport you are on scholarship for). It doesn't count against the 63 equivalents either I believe. As to when he hurt his knee, I'm not sure.

In most cases at most schools if you are on scholarship and can no longer play due to injury you still get your scholarship honored (I'm assuming the injury must occur while participating in the sport you are on scholarship for). It doesn't count against the 63 equivalents either I believe. As to when he hurt his knee, I'm not sure.

I thought his knee was injured prior to coming here because if I recall correctly he never actually fully participated in camp.

He dislocated it again over the winter which is why he never got into camp fully.

If they honor his scholarship what a great selling point to other transfers. Even if you never participate in camp they will continue to pay for your education.