SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Division I approval

Teeder11

NCAA officially approves UND’s full Division I active membership

Five-year transition complete, UND now eligible for postseason competition in 2012-13

The University of North Dakota is proud to announce that it has been elected to full Division I active membership status from the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), officially completing UND’s transition from Division II status. UND President Dr. Robert Kelley received a letter from the NCAA today confirming the University’s active membership in Division I athletics.

With the five-year reclassification process to Division I (Football Championship Subdivision) now complete, UND is eligible to participate in Division I postseason competition beginning this fall.

“The University has been waiting for formal notification of its successful completion of the NCAA D-1 transition process. That notification arrived today,” said UND President Robert O. Kelley. “This completes a significant milestone in the long tradition of UND athletics. The announcement signals a great deal of coming excitement as UND’s teams compete in Big Sky Conference D-1 competition. UND extends a grateful note of thanks to the NCAA and to everyone who has been engaged in the transition process. Their hard work has built a solid foundation for continued success for our student athletes and the UND program for intercollegiate athletics.”

In Thursday’s letter to Kelley, Stephen Mallonee, the NCAA’s Managing Director of Academic and Membership Affairs/Division I Governance Liaison, wrote, “It is my pleasure to inform you that the NCAA Division I Board of Directors approved the recommendation from the NCAA Division I Administration Cabinet to elect the University of North Dakota to Division I active membership effective September 1 (or the beginning of the 2012-13 academic year if earlier than September 1).”

Mallonee went on to write, “I congratulate you on your successful transition to Division I status and urge your institution to continue strengthening its commitment to meet all applicable Division I members requirements during the course of the 2012-13 academic year and thereafter.”

“This marks a historic moment for UND Athletics,” said UND Athletics Director Brian Faison. “This has been a long and involved process. It has clearly been a tremendous team effort involving hundreds of staff, student-athletes and administrators in the process. I want to thank our alumni and fans for their patience and support throughout these five years.”

UND’s transition to Division I has been highlighted by numerous successes in competition, in the classroom and in the community. Following its exploratory year of NCAA Division I members in 2007-08, UND captured 10 conference tournament championships and seven conference regular season championships at the Division I level while competing in the Great West Conference (GWC), Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA), Western Athletic Conference (WAC), Mountain Pacific Sports Federation (MPSF) and the America Sky Conference.

In the classroom, UND’s 377 student-athletes emerged from the transition in 2011-12 with a grade point average of 3.173 that was the highest in UND Athletics history. Twelve student-athletes garnered Academic All-America honors during the five-year transition, while five earned prestigious NCAA postgraduate scholarships.

In addition to balancing the demands of athletics and academics, UND’s student-athletes logged between 6,000 and 7,000 hours of community service in each of the last two years.

UND’s 2012-13 Conference Affiliations

America Sky Conference: Men’s golf

Big Sky Conference (BSC): Baseball, men’s and women’s basketball, men’s and women’s cross country, football, women’s golf, soccer, softball, men’s and women’s tennis, men’s and women’s indoor and outdoor track and field, volleyball

Great West Conference (GWC): Baseball

Mountain Pacific Sports Federation (MPSF): Men’s swimming and diving

Western Athletic Conference (WAC): Women’s swimming and diving (affiliate member)

Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA): Men’s and women’s hockey

--30--

Peter B. Johnson

Executive Associate Vice President for University Relations

Media Relations Coordinator

Office of University Relations

264 Centennial Drive Stop 7144

Grand Forks, ND 58202-7144

701.777.4317 | 701.777.4616 fax

Peter.johnson@email.und.edu

UND.edu

North Dakota Spirit | The Campaign for UND

Raising $300 million. | Share your Spirit @ www.spirit.und.edu

• Upvote 1

Does anyone really regret moving? Lots of people opposed it back in the day.

Not me.

Not for a second. I think its ironic that in a time where you would think people would be down about UND athletics considering UND had to drop the Fighting Sioux name, a name we have all cheered for and loved for many years, the excitement for UND atheletics has never been greater.

• Upvote 1

Tom Dennis of the Herald had a nice piece back then saying UND should stay D2.

Tom likes to get the masses buzzing with provocative opinions. I'd be surprised if he actually personally thought that it would be better to stay D II. That's typical of most opinion writers: write stuff that will get reactions; not stuff that the majority already believes.

Still hasn't really sunk in for me. Maybe when we are "dancing."

Nope. But even considering the "price" we paid, I think it was a very worthwhile move for the school.

Still hasn't really sunk in for me. Maybe when we are "dancing."

I regret that the core of the old NCC with the the Dakotas, maybe UNC didn't stay together and move up together.

Weren't there some posters from another school that were claiming that USD got their approval months ago and since UND didn't, there must be some problem with UND. From what came out yesterday all of the schools that were moving received thier notice this week, not months ago..... Dan?

Weren't there some posters from another school that were claiming that USD got their approval months ago and since UND didn't, there must be some problem with UND. From what came out yesterday all of the schools that were moving received thier notice this week, not months ago..... Dan?

Just quoting what some SDSU posters were saying. Were you worried?