SiouxSports.com Forum

10 Best Non-NHL Hockey Cities in USA

GeauxSioux

10 Best Non-NHL Hockey Cities and Towns in the United States

Just call it life, liberty and the pursuit of hockey-ness.

In honor of Independence Day, this author has decided to make a sweep-check across the birthday nation and offer American hockey fans a holiday puck fix by examining some of the country’s under the radar hockey markets.

The United States has 50 states and only 23 NHL franchises to go around. But most every gap on the map is filled by the sport’s minor league system that is rivaled only by baseball, a decent smattering of college programs, an elaborate junior league system and dense grassroots interest.

List is in alphabetical order.

Dear Clueless in Fargo,

University of North Dakota is more important than a nickname. The people of North Dakota have said so. It is time for the University to move forward without the nickname. That is the message that all 3 posters made. Not one of them said "good riddance" to the nickname. That only happened in your tiny mind. If you don't want to see the message then you may not want to read this board any longer. The majority of the posters on this board are happy to be moving forward, joining the new conferences, without having to deal with sanctions. It is a chance for University of North Dakota athletics to succeed at a new, higher level. Your petty rants aren't going to help your cause, and neither is continually misreading the attitudes of people on this board.

Dr. Phil

• Upvote 4

Hmmmm.... three different posters making posts that basically say "good riddance to the Fighting Sioux nickname" (not in those exact words of course but the tone rings loud and clear). There is obvious and blatant contempt for the name from the "NCAA affiliation at any cost" UND fans. Ironically, all three of these posters actually have the word "Sioux" within their user names. You can't make this stuff up... un-f'ing-believeable!!! (facepalm)

Just making a joke..laugh a little...its good for you!!! I will keep my screen name because as a result, I will not suffer any sanctions. I will be allowed to post on this site using the name. We are making fun of Fetch and the fact that he can't move on for the obvious good of the university.

Hey ...I thought you were going to not come one this message board anymore? If you choose to still login, be prepared to hear the same thing we have been trying to pound in your head hundreds of times of why we voted to retire the name.

OK, now on to the topic.......

Albuquerque

Anchorage

Birmingham

Houston

Indianapolis

Milwaukee

Portland

Salt Lake City

Seattle

Tucson

tough question, that's probably why the thread got derailed.

Winnipeg would have deserved to be on this list a year and a half ago even tho its not in the US.

Apologies, I know I missed some place(s) that is(are) truly deserving (as in "why Tucson?")