SiouxSports.com Forum

Mario Best Captain Ever

watchmaker49

The only people that can judge a captain are those in the locker room: players and coaches. And even those cannot judge "best captain ever." We live in an age of instant social media. When most stuff happens, word gets spread almost immediately. Teams of the 50's, 60's, and 70's may have dealt with similar or even greater issues that no one ever heard of, because of the lack of social media in those times. Even at that, who is around today that has been in all of those locker rooms. While I may agree that Mario appears to have been a pretty good captain, I certainly cannot judge him adequately and certainly not in the context of best ever. It is a long time until October.

The only people that can judge a captain are those in the locker room: players and coaches. And even those cannot judge "best captain ever." We live in an age of instant social media. When most stuff happens, word gets spread almost immediately. Teams of the 50's, 60's, and 70's may have dealt with similar or even greater issues that no one ever heard of, because of the lack of social media in those times. Even at that, who is around today that has been in all of those locker rooms. While I may agree that Mario appears to have been a pretty good captain, I certainly cannot judge him adequately and certainly not in the context of best ever. It is a long time until October.

And that is why you and everyone else here pass judgement on players, prospects, and everyone else all the time?

And that is why you and everyone else here pass judgement on players, prospects, and everyone else all the time?

I do not pass judgement on anyone's character, personal issues, relationships, etc. I occasionally have made comments that someone or the team did or did not have a good game or season, in my opinion, based on what I have observed. Viewing the game is out in the public for people to see. Most of what takes place as a captain is behind closed doors and not in the public purview. We may see the results, but we (or the vast majority of us) do not have direct knowledge of what takes place, or what is said in the locker room. I can only recall once ever having made comment on a prospect's performance, based on a USHL game that I attended. As it turned out, my one game observation turned out to be significantly wrong compared to that player's eventual contribution to the Sioux program.

Chey was captain when players were older. and they knew what was expetected Mario played with younger kids and had to find a way to get them going.

That's my point in nominating him. In the last 30 years he was the captain of a team that needed that extra push and provided it.

I would nominate a young fiery Canadian that went by the last name of Hakstol, but according to some he's the reason that the UND hockey program is in such a tremendous swoon lately.

I don't think you can choose a best captain ever. Too many great young men to choose from. I think my favorite captain of all time would have to be Matt Greene. To be a captain in the NHL is a pretty special thing. Nice that Toews and Parise share that honor as well.