SiouxSports.com Forum

Trouble in Montana

GeauxSioux

Uncle Rico's Clan posted this on AGS:

I just spoke with a friend of mine who got information from the meeting this morning, it sounds like it has to do with the University helping make legal arrangements with attorneys and players. It also sounds like there is a possible NCAA investigation.

They can refer to an attorney but CANNOT pay for one. There is where the NCAA will step in.

Well let's be honest here...sucks for Montana, but a good thing probably for UND as they get into the Big Sky if you ask me.

Makes you think the NCAA could throw sanctions against UM for paying a lawyer but yet our nickname is a problem in the NCAA's eyes. Makes you hate the NCAA more and more.

Nobody saw this coming. There might be more to the story than they're letting out right now, nobody is saying much but it looks like it blindsided Pflu and O'Day.

Unless there is something bigger that we haven't heard yet it looks like UM has made the decision to make a stand and start over much like MSU did at the end of the Kramer era. Even though some of these incidents were before Pflu was head coach, they have escalated the last couple years and the University has to put a stop to it, so the coach and AD are the logical place to start.

Sad day for Griz football but I give credit to Engstrom for making a tough decision...right or wrong he is going to be under pressure for it.

I hate to see what the repercussions and effects will be for the team the next couple years, but the bigger picture is the students who attend the University of Montana have to be able to attend a safe environment, and that hasn't been the case lately. And with a daughter attending UM, that is high on my radar right now.

Really opens up the Big Sky this year. Montana St and EWU are probably ecstatic that they are now probably definitely 1 and 2. If UND capitalizes they could sneak into that 3 spot if any/many key Montana players leave or are dismissed. Playoffs for UND now are much more realistic. Should be extremely interested to see the Sky this year.

Really opens up the Big Sky this year. Montana St and EWU are probably ecstatic that they are now probably definitely 1 and 2. If UND capitalizes they could sneak into that 3 spot if any/many key Montana players leave or are dismissed. Playoffs for UND now are much more realistic. Should be extremely interested to see the Sky this year.

Don't forget Cal Poly they could sneak up to 1 or 2 also.

Montana has alot of talent. There will probably be some defections from the most recent signing class, but they would likely have had minimal impact this season anyways. Alot of it depends on who is named interim Head Coach. Are there gonna be wholesale changes, or will one of Pflugard's assistants be annointed?

North Dakota's playoff chances for the upcoming season were already very realistic. 4 Big Sky teams will make the playoffs next season. Montana St., Montana, and some combination of Cal Poly, EWU, and/or North Dakota.

Ohio State...Auburn...USC...North Carolina...Miami...Northern Colorado...Montana State...Montana...

NCAA: We'll get to that later, just make sure the Sioux hockey team doesn't wear any logos come tournament time.

(I can't believe I'm about to do this ...)

As long as the matters are strictly campus matter, the NCAA has no authority much less jurisdiction. Now, if NCAA rules violations are involved, yes, the NCAA comes into play in the matter. However, the NCAA can control events that it creates and manages. It seems at first glance horribly unfair to UND, but that's how it is today.

(And now I think I need a shower because I defended the NCAA.)

What makes me maddest in this is that it appears that Montana created a "look the other way" culture to some things with the football (or whole athletics) program. Same thing seemed to happen with Penn State. And it's happened in other organizations that accumulate too much unquestioned power (cough-Catholic-cough-cough-Church) and think they are above standard civil due process. I love it when reality, and civil due process, crashes those parties.

• Upvote 1

(I can't believe I'm about to do this ...)

As long as the matters are strictly campus matter, the NCAA has no authority much less jurisdiction. Now, if NCAA rules violations are involved, yes, the NCAA comes into play in the matter. However, the NCAA can control events that it creates and manages. It seems at first glance horribly unfair to UND, but that's how it is today.

I beg to differ and hardly consider Ohio State and Auburn as "campus issues." Flashback to the Buckeye/Tiger championship game. There is NO EXCUSE for the NCAA washing its hands of Ohio State's player eligibility issues which erupted BEFORE that bowl game. None. And if you think Cam Newton is innocent in the "build-my-preacher-dad-a-church-and-I'll-attend-your-school" fiasco, then I don't know what to tell you. The NCAA did what it had to do in order to ensure that money would be made on a football game. Take away five Ohio State football players and Auburn's star quarterback and you get a sub-par title game, bad TV ratings and revenue being lost. The NCAA simply couldn't allow that to happen. And it didn't.

Instead, the NCAA turns a blind eye and suspends the five OSU players for the start of the following season. Then the bottom drops out on Coach Sweater-Vest. Cam Newton bolts for the NFL after winning an NCAA championship trophy for Auburn. Win win for everyone though because the NCAA made money hand-over-fist on the championship game.

Five years from now, Cam Newton will be a star in the NFL and he'll return his Heisman Trophy just like Reggie Bush. OSU's already dealing with sanctions and in a few years, Auburn will wind up being the USC of the east.

Since the NCAA likes to sanction schools for nicknames, perhaps a "naughty list" of schools that seem to have an epidemic of "strictly campus matters" is something the NCAA should be discussing. Just a thought.

• Upvote 2

I beg to differ and hardly consider Ohio State and Auburn as "campus issues." Flashback to the Buckeye/Tiger championship game. There is NO EXCUSE for the NCAA washing its hands of Ohio State's player eligibility issues which erupted BEFORE that bowl game. None. And if you think Cam Newton is innocent in the "build-my-preacher-dad-a-church-and-I'll-attend-your-school" fiasco, then I don't know what to tell you. The NCAA did what it had to do in order to ensure that money would be made on a football game. Take away five Ohio State football players and Auburn's star quarterback and you get a sub-par title game, bad TV ratings and revenue being lost. The NCAA simply couldn't allow that to happen. And it didn't.

Instead, the NCAA turns a blind eye and suspends the five OSU players for the start of the following season. Then the bottom drops out on Coach Sweater-Vest. Cam Newton bolts for the NFL after winning an NCAA championship trophy for Auburn. Win win for everyone though because the NCAA made money hand-over-fist on the championship game.

Five years from now, Cam Newton will be a star in the NFL and he'll return his Heisman Trophy just like Reggie Bush. OSU's already dealing with sanctions and in a few years, Auburn will wind up being the USC of the east.

Since the NCAA likes to sanction schools for nicknames, perhaps a "naughty list" of schools that seem to have an epidemic of "strictly campus matters" is something the NCAA should be discussing. Just a thought.

The NCAA itself doesn't make any money off the BCS or the Championship game. The FBS conferences and schools make money, but the NCAA does not participate. This is from the BCS web site.

Revenue

Each conference whose team qualifies automatically for the BCS receives approximately $22 million in net revenue. A second team qualifying brings an additional $6 million to its conference. Notre Dame receives approximately $1.6 million. Army and Navy receive $100,000 each, and each of the NCAA's Football Championship Subdivision conferences receives $250,000.

The NCAA may have other reasons to support the BCS and try to keep playes involved. They certainly have plenty of issues to deal with. But the BCS system is separate from the NCAA even though the schools and conferences are involved with both.

Pretty damn stunning watching this. I had a chance to meet and visit with Jim O'Day at the FCS Championship game in Frisco. I was impressed with his candor and I think he is a stand up guy. It is too bad that he got dismissed. Jim O'Day was a big ally for UND in this nickname storm with the Big Sky.

My Griz buddy In Missoula bascially texted me two words when I asked him about this developement yesterday..."Penn St."! He said he has heard rumors of major player cover-ups by the head coach and AD over the last couple years. Will see what leaks out...

My Griz buddy In Missoula bascially texted me two words when I asked him about this developement yesterday..."Penn St."! He said he has heard rumors of major player cover-ups by the head coach and AD over the last couple years. Will see what leaks out...

......and if that is the case, heads needed to roll. Just a sad situation for all of FCS football.