SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Kelling Gone?

skeletor_24

Rumor mill has been spinning Coach Kelling left for U-Mary D-Coordinator due to McMahon resigning,but article says he will coach through spring ball, so is Kelling still at UND?

Wondering how that all works when new coordinator will come in the fall.....

Wayne Nelson just indicated on the Herald's live chat that Kelling was not at the first practice on Monday, and that an official announcement of his status could come this week.

Great now who will talk sense into mannsau.... he was a far better player then coach

UND's pass rush and run defense were very good last year. In his co-coordinator role, Mannausau is responsible for the front seven. From the outside looking in, it would seem he must be doing a pretty good job.

• Upvote 1

I would like to see us add coaches with more D1 experience. I realize that there are lots of good coaches at other levels, but I think those with D1 experience could add insight to the talent level of athletes that we will need to compete every year at this level.

I would like to see us add coaches with more D1 experience. I realize that there are lots of good coaches at other levels, but I think those with D1 experience could add insight to the talent level of athletes that we will need to compete every year at this level.

coach Boyd was with the Steelers at one point. It's not D1 obviously but it could be sufficient.

Great now who will talk sense into mannsau.... he was a far better player then coach

I'm curious what you specifically think Mannausau has done wrong or is doing wrong as a coach?

What would you do differently? Are there certain philosophies or techniques that you see that are flawed? Situational playcalling? Coverages, fronts or blitzing packages? How about nickel and dime? Personnel?

Please let me know which it is. I know I'm curious and I'm sure many others on here are as well. Thanks in advance.

I'm curious what you specifically think Mannausau has done wrong or is doing wrong as a coach?

What would you do differently? Are there certain philosophies or techniques that you see that are flawed? Situational playcalling? Coverages, fronts or blitzing packages? How about nickel and dime? Personnel?

Please let me know which it is. I know I'm curious and I'm sure many others on here are as well. Thanks in advance.

He must have confused his coaching at UND with his time at Red River

word is Jeff Richter will be brought in as Kelling's replacement, he has been with Dosch at NSU in Aberdeen, SD

So I guess the dream of some big time DI asst is not going to happen.

But I am glad it is someone from the program who knows what UND FB is about and will be passionate about getting our team prepared each week/season to be successful.

If you do a search on this site, you'll find that Coach Lennon was the one that originally implemented the Co-defensive coordiantor position, after Tibesar left, putting Mannasau in charge of the front 7 and Kelling in charge of the secondary. By all accounts, Kelling was actually the guy that sat in the booth and called the defensive plays up until the 2010 season. Prior to the 2010 season, Coach Mussman stripped play-calling duties from Kelling and gave them to Mannassau. That could explain why he wanted different gig.

Look at the stats. Throughout the transition to DI starting in 2008, North Dakota has had an improving run and pass rush offense, while the secondary has continually regressed and become a major liability.

IMO, Mannassau needs to be given full authority over the entire defense.

• Upvote 4

Our D sure is one hell of a Defesne. Reminds me of the Bubba schweigert days!!!!

Your D is not a hell of a defense...your front seven appears to be pretty dang good though. Remember the back four. UND got torched through the sky. Fix that and then you can brag up the D. Might be a question for a different thread but I'll ask it anyways...what is UND's current outlook in the secondary? Do you guys have reasons to be optomistic or pessimistic or whats the scoop there?

Thats the guy from the Lennon Administration right? Brings up bad memories for me as a Bison fan. :(

Your D is not a hell of a defense...your front seven appears to be pretty dang good though. Remember the back four. UND got torched through the sky. Fix that and then you can brag up the D. Might be a question for a different thread but I'll ask it anyways...what is UND's current outlook in the secondary? Do you guys have reasons to be optomistic or pessimistic or whats the scoop there?

Thats the guy from the Lennon Administration right? Brings up bad memories for me as a Bison fan. :sad:

CBs

Jr. Mackey physically gifted, quick, short (5'8"), good plays mixed in with some blown coverage, good run support

Jr. Hall quick not too fast, long, good instincts and hands, smooth, not physical enough

So. D Brown very tough, cat like quickness, decent hands, good hitter, smart, a little small but plays bigger, doesn't blow coverage

Fr. Dwayne Brown small, great hips and quickness, consistant coverage, nearly got shirt pulled, short but plays bigger, very aggresive and tough

Fr. Chris Brown smooth, quicker than fast, decent hands

Fr. Rumeal Harris good coverage, needs to get bigger and faster, good hips

S

Sr. Mersereaux freak athlete (40.5" vert, 4.42 40, 340+ clean) strong, fast, quick, needs to learn how to hit and tackle, needs to improve ball awarness in coverage, could be great if it clicks next season

So Carr hard hitter, fast, good instincts, a little short, tough, nasty, decent hips

Fr Fifita explosive hitter, super physical, good coverage, great run support, good enough hands and hips, very down hill player

Fr. Butler (when he clears the NCAA) huge (6'2" 220+) fast, quick, great hands, hits like Saun Taylor(RIP) huge potential, could start if he is eligible

Fr Idowu big (6'2") pretty fast, heavy feet.... kind of stiff hips, very smart, good potential

So William James (from Sweden) very strong, hard hitting run stopper, bad hand, decent coverage, good potential

The secondary will be better than last year, how much remains to be seen. That all has to do with how good the offense is and if they can do a better job of scoring and keeping the defense off the field. Butler is the major question he could make or break the safety position for years to come.

CBs

Jr. Mackey physically gifted, quick, short (5'8"), good plays mixed in with some blown coverage, good run support

Jr. Hall quick not too fast, long, good instincts and hands, smooth, not physical enough

So. D Brown very tough, cat like quickness, decent hands, good hitter, smart, a little small but plays bigger, doesn't blow coverage

Fr. Dwayne Brown small, great hips and quickness, consistant coverage, nearly got shirt pulled, short but plays bigger, very aggresive and tough

S

Sr. Mersereaux freak athlete (40.5" vert, 4.42 40, 340+ clean) strong, fast, quick, needs to learn how to hit and tackle, needs to improve ball awarness in coverage, could be great if it clicks next season

So Carr hard hitter, fast, good instincts, a little short, tough, nasty, decent hips

Fr Fifita explosive hitter, super physical, good coverage, great run support, good enough hands and hips, very down hill player

Fr. Butler (when he clears the NCAA) huge (6'2" 220+) fast, quick, great hands, hits like Saun Taylor(RIP) huge potential, could start if he is eligible

Fr Idowu big (6'2") pretty fast, heavy feet.... kind of stiff hips, very smart, good potential

So William James (from Sweden) very strong, hard hitting run stopper, bad hand, decent coverage, good potential

The secondary will be better than last year, how much remains to be seen. That all has to do with how good the offense is and if they can do a better job of scoring and keeping the defense off the field. Butler is the major question he could make or break the safety position for years to come.

Have you heard anything on Butler? I think Oskie said that it sounded like it was kind of like a Colten St. Clair issue.

CBs

S

We can't continue to play 10 -12 yards off the receivers and hope to be a good defensive team. There was no shut down mentality at all - things were a little better last year, but we play so loose we get the death of 1000 cuts - giving up chunks of 5-10 yards almost at will at times

We can't continue to play 10 -12 yards off the receivers and hope to be a good defensive team. There was no shut down mentality at all - things were a little better last year, but we play so loose we get the death of 1000 cuts - giving up chunks of 5-10 yards almost at will at times

Our best CB was a freshman last year, they look better in spring so far