SiouxSports.com Forum

Here is the latest from S.A.B.

Goon

Assistant coaches are hired as head coaches every year. And every school will have different priorities when hiring a coach. But most schools would hire someone that has proven success as a head coach on that level as their first choice. Proven assistants with experience at that school would also be highly prized, especially at schools that like to promote from within and at a lot of successful programs. The next level of choice would be proven assistants at succesful programs. And successful head coaches at a lower level would get some consideration.

UND has proven that they like to hire from within. Gino was not the first choice for that position, but he ended up getting it doing well. Blais was well thought of when he was at UND originally, but he went to the high school level so that he could get head coaching experience. That and his relationships at UND helped him get the job. And Hak was part of the program for a long time, that definitely helped him get the job. Sandelin was part of a successful program at UND. That definitely helped him when he was being interviewed for the Duluth position.

Obviously you don't like Hakstol. In this discussion, Hak has had a successful run as a head coach at the collegiate level. He has done everything but win a national championship, and has regularly had his teams in the tournament. Most schools with head coach openings would be interested in talking to him about their job. Some NHL teams might consider talking to him about a head coaching job, and many would probably be interested in talking to him about an assistant job if he was interested in that. Guentzel has had a good run as an assistant, but not as a head coach at the collegiate level. He has had experience as a head coach at the USHL level, but hasn't been able to get hired at the college level. He could get a shot at a head coaching job, and very well might at UNO when Blais leaves, but most schools would probably rank Hakstol higher before talking to them. Interviews may change that based on how the personalities and goals fit.

Would you agree though that if anyone deserves a shot at a head coaching job it would be Guentzel?

Assistant coaches are hired as head coaches every year. And every school will have different priorities when hiring a coach. But most schools would hire someone that has proven success as a head coach on that level as their first choice. Proven assistants with experience at that school would also be highly prized, especially at schools that like to promote from within and at a lot of successful programs. The next level of choice would be proven assistants at succesful programs. And successful head coaches at a lower level would get some consideration.

UND has proven that they like to hire from within. Gino was not the first choice for that position, but he ended up getting it doing well. Blais was well thought of when he was at UND originally, but he went to the high school level so that he could get head coaching experience. That and his relationships at UND helped him get the job. And Hak was part of the program for a long time, that definitely helped him get the job. Sandelin was part of a successful program at UND. That definitely helped him when he was being interviewed for the Duluth position.

Obviously you don't like Hakstol. In this discussion, Hak has had a successful run as a head coach at the collegiate level. He has done everything but win a national championship, and has regularly had his teams in the tournament. Most schools with head coach openings would be interested in talking to him about their job. Some NHL teams might consider talking to him about a head coaching job, and many would probably be interested in talking to him about an assistant job if he was interested in that. Guentzel has had a good run as an assistant, but not as a head coach at the collegiate level. He has had experience as a head coach at the USHL level, but hasn't been able to get hired at the college level. He could get a shot at a head coaching job, and very well might at UNO when Blais leaves, but most schools would probably rank Hakstol higher before talking to them. Interviews may change that based on how the personalities and goals fit.

Help me with my memory but were not people mad that Ned Harkness was not hired instead of Gino?

Help me with my memory but were not people mad that Ned Harkness was not hired instead of Gino?

Yes, I believe that some people were. I was in high school at the time so I didn't follow it as closely as some. But I remember the discussion and thought that either Harkness or Gino were probably good choices. I started at UND the next fall and got to experience a great period on UND hockey, watching the team make it to the championship game 3 out of the next 4 years and winning 2 with Gino as the coach. The people that supported Harkness seemed to go away during that period.

Would you agree though that if anyone deserves a shot at a head coaching job it would be Guentzel?

You would think that he would be near the top of the list. But he hasn't gotten a job yet. Sometimes people get stuck in that assistant spot and never get out. And sometimes they just don't make the right impression when they are going for the interview. I don't make those decisions so I'm not sure why Guentzel hasn't gotten a chance yet.

You would think that he would be near the top of the list. But he hasn't gotten a job yet. Sometimes people get stuck in that assistant spot and never get out. And sometimes they just don't make the right impression when they are going for the interview. I don't make those decisions so I'm not sure why Guentzel hasn't gotten a chance yet.

Probably just like anything, right place right time.

Some like Blais. Some like Gino. Some like Hak.

I like that the Leinie's comes in sampler packs.

And all those opinions mean exactly diddly-squat (except for mine). :D

I like the fact that I can get a 18 pack of Bud Light Lime. :) That being said I find it funny that this troll has taken over the conversation.

I completely understand that, Sicatoka. My point is that even if Florida State WAS under sanction by the NCAA at the time of the 2008 Champs Sports Bowl, somehow, someway, Wisconsin would have finnagled around that policy and played that game. There was far too much money to be lost if they didn't play it. (note: The Badgers were waxed by FSU anyways). Do you think Wisconsin officials had enough backbone to stand upon their principle belief with thousands of dollars in bowl revenue at stake? No way.

Lots of assumptions on Wisconsin and U of M's scheduling so far. I guess that is all that can be done since so far, they have stood by the policies each have in place.

Lots of assumptions on Wisconsin and U of M's scheduling so far. I guess that is all that can be done since so far, they have stood by the policies each have in place.

Maybe for the huge $$$ involved with football, they make some exceptions.

Again, who cares? How does that affect UND athletics?

They aren't going to make an exception for a UND program under sanctions.

Hey I absolutely LOVE BUD LIGHT LIME & will fight to say so :silly: I guess I traded in my man card when it came out :crazy: - most drinkable beer in the world :D

Big HG told me it's a woman's beer, but I like it. I think it's a really good beer. I also like Bud Light Platinum as well.