SiouxSports.com Forum

The Big Sky Concern

GeauxSioux

Faison says Big Sky tone has changed

“The biggest concern I have is the tone has gotten more serious,” Faison said. “They’ve gone from concern to major concern now. How patient, ultimately, the presidents will be with where we find ourselves? I can’t say. It’s absolutely frightening to think what would happen if we lost our Big Sky membership.”

Faison said a handful of league athletic directors raised questions during the conference call. “The inability to host NCAA postseason games is certainly an issue,” he said. “That weighs on them.”

Faison also addressed the idea from some nickname supporters that the school’s administration has been misleading in the league affiliation process.

“The Big Sky is a legit concern,” he said. “Whether people want to believe it or not, I can’t help that. I know it. I’ve been in this business 35-plus years, and I’m telling you, we have a problem. And the answers to solve that problem if it goes down are not there. We can’t exist as a Division I independent.

“As far as conspiracy concerns, I leave that with the JFK folks. It’s reality that we are where we are. It’s reality that I’ve talked to Joel Maturi (Minnesota athletic director) and Sean Frazier (Wisconsin deputy athletic director) and we’ve been working on schedules for 2013-14, but that stops because of the nickname and logo. They can’t play us. That’s reality. That’s nothing I’ve made up. That’s been on the books for eight years. We lost a home and home with the University of Iowa in women’s basketball — the opportunity to host a Big Ten team here. This isn’t fiction. This is all real, and we have to deal with reality. That’s my job.”

Faison stressed the importance of competing against men’s hockey rivals Minnesota and Wisconsin.

“I’ve heard from some fans that say it doesn’t matter if we can’t schedule Minnesota,” Faison said. “I look at them incredulously (and say), ‘Really?’ Of course it matters.”

Okay clueless ones, try and smash some holes in this, This is real, folks.

• Upvote 3

We can’t exist as a Division I independent.

So it the petition to get the Sioux Name into the constitution passes what is Faison, and UND going to do, drop athletics?

Doubt it. Still waiting for the NCHC to drop UND from the Conference.... :whistling:

This could be the best thing to happen to UND....get kicked out of the Big Sky so they can get into the missouri valley/summit with their dakota peers and save money (if/when drop the sioux name)... :whistling:

• Upvote 1

So it the petition to get the Sioux Name into the constitution passes what is Faison, and UND going to do, drop athletics?

Doubt it. Still waiting for the NCHC to drop UND from the Conference.... :whistling:

This could be the best thing to happen to UND....get kicked out of the Big Sky so they can get into the missouri valley/summit with their dakota peers and save money (if/when drop the sioux name)... :whistling:

And what if that isn't an option? We had 2 options for conferences and if the Big Sky kicks us out and the Summit/Missouri Valley doesn't accept us than what? Would you be ok dropping back down to D2 to play U-Mary? Because if they wouldn't take us there is no where else to go

The ramifications of this are huge and some people are willing to bet everything we have on it because of a nickname and quite frankly it is disturbing. I am a 3rd generation alumni of UND and have been a die hard fighting sioux fan all my life, but I would never put the interest of a nickname in front of the best interest of the College. This has the possibility of hurting a lot more than just the athletic department if it goes bad and i'm not quite sure people realize this.

To many are looking at this with blinders on right now and that is the unfortunate part....

• Upvote 2

Would you be ok dropping back down to D2 to play U-Mary? Because if they wouldn't take us there is no where else to go

UND will be forced to drop athletics! :whistling:

UND will continue to play Mayville St, Jamestown, and Minot St no matter what division they belong too.

This is a non point because D2 is still NCAA and the same sanction would apply, whether it is the NSIC or the MVFC/Summit.

Being Independent or being D2 would probably save the athletic department millions versus traveling all over the country getting to Big Sky destinations.

UND will continue to play Mayville St, Jamestown, and Minot St no matter what division they belong too.

This is a non point because D2 is still NCAA and the same sanction would apply, whether it is the NSIC or the MVFC/Summit.

Being Independent or being D2 would probably save the athletic department millions versus traveling all over the country getting to Big Sky destinations.

I cannot imagine the scheduling nightmares for an independent. Yes, I'm sure that UND really should drop back down and play Minot, Mayville and Crookston. I'm sure people will be lining up to the see those games.

This isn't just about athletics. When UND decided to go Division I for all sports, the bar was elevated for the entire university. Your signature line is filled with pride of UND's accomplishments. Drop back down and watch those accomplishment start to dwindle. Being the only Division II school of the largest 4 Dakota schools would not be a place UND wants to be.

• Upvote 1

The Summit said they weren't interested in UND because of the nickname issue a couple of years ago. They became interested when it was announced that the nickname was dropped. Then there was the whole dustup over who said what and whethere UND pushed the Summit to complain about the nickname. The Summit is not an option any time soon. The MVFC was never an option. They didn't want South Dakota, but the Summit members pushed enough to get them in so they could keep them for the Summit. The MVFC isn't going to add UND for football.

Being an independent for a new Division I school like UND would be suicide. How many home football games do you think they would get? Attendance would drop like a rock because the only home games would be Division II. Basketball would be the same. And at this point, going Division II would be about as effective.

Losing the ability to schedule schools like Minnesota and Wisconsin in hockey would start to hurt that program, too. Even if the NCHC doesn't do anything, it will become more difficult to recruit top talent in hockey if they can't play against the best. And attendance could start dropping at the Ralph.

That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. OMG you think the MVFC is going to take us?? They didn't take us when South Dakota was accepted. They said they don't want another team. So until one of their members leave the MVFC won't be knocking on UND's door. I thought I have heard it all but this....this takes the cake!

I can't believe what I'm hearing, you would rather the UND athletic program be sentenced to death than change the logo and excell? What kind of fan are you?

I can't believe what I'm hearing, you would rather the UND athletic program be sentenced to death than change the logo and excell? What kind of fan are you?

Typical of the "save the Sioux nickname at any cost crowd", they have no skin in the game that is UND and could care less how the moniker impacts the university or its student-athletes. They're merely trying to "make a point" and politicize the whole issue. Carlson, Soderstrom, Hennen, et. al. don't give one flying damn about the school or its students.

• Upvote 2

I hope you are just trying to stir the pot.

Typical of the "save the Sioux nickname at any cost crowd", they have no skin in the game that is UND and could care less how the moniker impacts the university or its student-athletes. They're merely trying to "make a point" and politicize the whole issue. Carlson, Soderstrom, Hennen, et. al. don't give one flying damn about the school or its students.

Hennen would think this because he never went to college and is jealous of those who have.

UND will be forced to drop athletics! :whistling: UND will continue to play Mayville St, Jamestown, and Minot St no matter what division they belong too. This is a non point because D2 is still NCAA and the same sanction would apply, whether it is the NSIC or the MVFC/Summit. Being Independent or being D2 would probably save the athletic department millions versus traveling all over the country getting to Big Sky destinations.
Any "fan" asserting independent status as a money saver is, at best grossly misinformed to the point of foolishness, or at worst intentionally misleading.

Can't smash any holes... It seems to me that Fullerton has been given a directive to "fix this". And I don't mean "this" as in the nickname issue, I mean "this" as the UND being a geographically outlying newly admitted member of the conference. Everything changed the day USD went the other way. Even though UND & USD weren't perfect travel partners (are travel partners even used in the Big Sky), adding them was palatable, as a pair.​ This nickname debacle is cover for getting rid of UND, imo. I hope Mr. Faison is working hard behind the scenes with other conference opportunities, as I don't expect the UND _________ to be participating in the Big Sky, regardless of the outcome of the referendum results. It seems with every interview that Fullerton does that the horse is already out of the barn.

As for the referendum, calling the people on the other side of the issue clueless is NOT going to help in convincing them that voting for it is wrong for the University. Insulting people because they don't understand the consequences is not going to work. It will only fire them up even more. We as a UND community need to rally together and lay out the situation in a manner that people can understand.

My $.02.

Faison says Big Sky tone has changed

Okay clueless ones, try and smash some holes in this, This is real, folks.

• Upvote 1

As for the referendum, calling the people on the other side of the issue clueless is NOT going to help in convincing them that voting for it is wrong for the University. Insulting people because they don't understand the consequences is not going to work. It will only fire them up even more. We as a UND community need to rally together and lay out the situation in a manner that people can understand.

My $.02.

Would ignorant be more befitting?

I truly believe that there are those who would blow up the university (figuratively) to keep the name. I read where one name supporter went so far as taking UND hockey out of the NCAA to keep the name. I don't think any amount of discussion of information will dissuade them from their point of view.

I truly believe that there are those who would blow up the university (figuratively) to keep the name. I read where one name supporter went so far as taking UND hockey out of the NCAA to keep the name. I don't think any amount of discussion of information will dissuade them from their point of view.

I want those on the Spirit Lake to voice their opinion on keeping the name vs not having a sports team to show it off on. Its going to get to that point..and for what? So UND can be the Fighting Sioux. Yet no football, no basketball, no volleyball. Might as well cancel the IPF thoughts, close the Alerus Center. It doesn't make sense.

They are like the same people who think Sarah Palin has something to say. She is what stupid people think a smart person sounds like.

To be clear, I think those are two different groups of petition supporters... 1) those who deeply understand the risks but still favor keeping the name at all costs (e.g. even if it means leaving the NCAA); 2) those who ignorantly think that making it a "law" will somehow negate the potential downside.

I used to think most of the petition supporters were in group #2, but now I wouldn't be at all shocked to find out a majority of North Dakotans are in group #1. If it indeed proves to be the case that people know exactly what they're voting for and a majority make that choice, we'll have earned/deserve whatever outcome results from it.

They are like the same people who think Sarah Palin has something to say. She is what stupid people think a smart person sounds like.

Please, let's keep politics out of this discussion. But I understand the point you are trying to make. The nickname-at-all-costs crowd thinks any and all consequences for keeping the name and logo are "a small price to pay". And anyone who doesn't agree with it is not a real fan and shouldn't call themselves a fan. The destruction of UND athletics IS NOT AN OPTION!!! The State Board had better do their jobs on Monday or else all will be lost.

To be clear, I think those are two different groups of petition supporters... 1) those who deeply understand the risks but still favor keeping the name at all costs (e.g. even if it means leaving the NCAA); 2) those who ignorantly think that making it a "law" will somehow negate the potential downside.

I used to think most of the petition supporters were in group #2, but now I wouldn't be at all shocked to find out a majority of North Dakotans are in group #1. If it indeed proves to be the case that people know exactly what they're voting for and a majority make that choice, we'll have earned/deserve whatever outcome results from it.

I think group 1 resides on this forum. I'm not on the ground to know the extent of group 2. I will point back to my post from last night regarding the constitutional amendment in Florida for pregnant pigs. People will go into a voting booth ignorant and just start checking boxes.

GeauxSioux, ever wonder how Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota don't have a problem playing Florida State in the Big 10/ACC basketball challenge? Those "we can't play you because of university policy" issues go right out the window when money talks.

I have heard it is because it is a conference issue. Just as Minnesota and Wisconsin play UND in hockey. The teams from the two conferences are locked in due to their conference affiliation.