SiouxSports.com Forum

What happens if the first petition gains enough signatures?

jimdahl

I bet if they thought it would save the name they would agree

They're 6-2-1 (7-2 if you count the shoot-out win as a win) since starting to wear these at home ... and they're smiling.

LKQLGDDOLOKWNYP.20120205042535.jpg

I'm guessing they'd like to wear those and be home if they earn that right (rather than be subject to the NCAA moniker policy and be on the road).

• Upvote 1

they are following the rules still - so why use FEAR again - it will be a good test to see if the NCAA is as despicable as we think they are

The NCAA has an easy decision, they get to simply point to the settlement agreement. Nothing has changed, the tribes still BOTH haven't given UND their blessing. They DO NOT CARE ABOUT ND STATE LAW. The Big Sky, and other schools have a much harder decision right now...what do we do with The University of North Dakota? These are interesting times, and I dare say I feel more uneasy about this than the absence of the name at athletic events.

• Upvote 1

for you Letsgosioux

Lighten up while you still can

Don't even try to understand

Just find a place to take your stand

and take it easy

Just can't do it. This scares me. I was "good" with where we were at. "officially" the nickname was gone, but I still wear sioux gear, chant sioux at the games. Officially, the Big Sky and other teams could not possibly have a problem with UND with the way things were. I have hope that Spirit Lake will complete the hail mary pass and the name will come back the right way. Todays events just have me feeling very uneasy. What happens next? Anyone's guess.

Thus UND Admin. was unsuccessful in eliminating (destroying) the name until the Spirit Lake Lawsuit is over

Still hope & awareness & if everyone would support Spirit Lake maybe their chances are better

I think this is why they (SL) are having the petition drive

Maybe it's time to really find out if changing the name to Spirit Lake Sioux would be acceptable (Legal) a positive instead of all the negative ? ? ?

UND Admin.& the SBOHE & the Attorney General should do the right thing & at least try to see if Spirit Lake Sioux would work

Asking the NCAA that question will tell us if the NCAA is worried or not

Unless I missed something, Spirit Lake Sioux is not part of the petition so it is irrelevant as far as this petition. I could be wrong but I don't see that included int he petition.

they are following the rules still - so why use FEAR again - it will be a good test to see if the NCAA is as despicable as we think they are

Why is it so hard to understand that the NCAA isn't fooling around? They have taken millions and millions of dollars worth of basketball tournaments out of South Carolina and moved them to places like North Carolina. The policy the NCAA has against South Carolina doesn't directly affect the University of South Carolina football team, because they don't have NCAA playoffs. Yet, Coach Steve Spurrier has publicly stated that it is hurting his football team because they lose recruits. If the UND women's hockey team stays in the top 4 and qualifies to host the first round of the playoffs, THEY WILL NOT HOST AND WILL INSTEAD GO ON THE ROAD TO PLAY THE GAMES. That isn't fearmongering, that is the plain truth. Unfortunately, the ladies will probably be the first to suffer.

what did they do ? apples to apples ?

We have posted about it several times. The situation isn't apples to apples, but it is as close as you can come in any recent situations. About a decade ago the NCAA said that they would not hold any prearranged postseason tournaments in any state that officially uses the Confederate Flag in any way. Of course, the biggest would be the NCAA Division I basketball tournament. South Carolina had it flying over the state capital at the time and Mississippi had a small copy in its flag.

South Carolina decided to move the flag to a Confederate Memorial that is on the capital grounds. They put that in state law. Mississippi refuses to change their state flag. The NCAA hasn't scheduled a tournament in either state since then. Greensboro used to hold basketball regionals on a regular basis. The last one was shortly after the ban started, and was only held there because the contracts had been signed years earlier. A couple of cities in North Carolina have held approximately 7 March Madness tournaments in the past decade.

Both the SEC and the ACC (there are South Carolina schools in both conferences) have also refused to hold most of their tournaments in South Carolina (I'm not as sure about Mississippi because there are fewer articles about that situation).

The bottom line is that the NCAA put a policy in place, that included a postseason ban, based on what they consider a race based issue. They have lived up to that ban for a decade and show no signs of backing off. And in the Confederate flag case, it doesn't even have anything to do with the schools themselves, although they bear the brunt of the pain. So there is no way that the NCAA is going to back down on banning UND teams from hosting tournament games.

Unless I missed something, Spirit Lake Sioux is not part of the petition so it is irrelevant as far as this petition. I could be wrong but I don't see that included int he petition.

Nope. Their hoplessly conflicted attorney Reed Soderstrom is also behind the petitions. That's about it. He seeks to enshrine the Sioux moniker in the North Dakota Constitution, which could effectively deprive SL of any claim to it. Without that claim (property right) they probably cannot make their case against the NC$$.

As far as the NC$$ is concerned, their litigation with UND and the state ended in 2007 with the settlement. UND is bound by that agreement and can now be sanctioned accordingly.

"It's not [political], it's business".- Michael Corleone "The Godfather"

You mean despicable by wanting to stick to a settlement agreement that was signed and agreed to by both them and UND?

Julie Evans would not have a legal job but for the unversity position that she holds. Shaft, Kelley, Johnson and Faison, etc I'm sure only fanned the flames but using imagery as "scrubbing", etc and the issue with access to the Ralph only generated sympathy, especially when people saw the petitioners collecting signatures in freezing temps during the Gopher series. Shaft, etc only showed their gross insensitivity and gross incompetence by making misstatements about things like Notre Dame's non-existant concern with the nickname and using verbs such as "scrubbing". Irony much?

My point is that a little more due care employed would have gone a long way. Kelley and Johnson were a bit rash and lacking in foresight in bowling headlong into this "scrubbing" foray 2 seconds after the repeal law was passed.

It's too bad that people's feelings were hurt, but the nickname law put the program behind schedule in making a smooth transition away from the name. They were trying to avoid the situation we may find ourselves in with the women's hockey program not allowed to host a playoff game. Carlson wasted a year with the law when anyone that was familiar with the situation at all could tell that the NCAA wasn't going to budge a millimeter.