SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 Recruiting

Hambone

I don't know the whole back story with this particular recruit, but in general, western ND must become Big Sky country. No excuses.

As the post above mentioned, there is no way UND was getting him as a PWO over an offer from FU. He has family ties to FU and was pretty set on going there. I was pretty surprised the coaching staff got him to think about UND as long as they did. Enough to force FU to offer a scholorship to get him.

As the post above mentioned, there is no way UND was getting him as a PWO over an offer from FU. He has family ties to FU and was pretty set on going there. I was pretty surprised the coaching staff got him to think about UND as long as they did. Enough to force FU to offer a scholorship to get him.

As my comment mentioned, IN GENERAL, western North Dakota must become Big Sky country. No excuses.

NDSU does a FAR BETTER job of marketing western ND and including this half of the state in their program. If I was new to this state, I wouldn't even know that UND existed simply because we are west of Bismarck and not in Minnesota. It's kind of funny how we are a flyover area to conference games.

I hear you. It's always made me sore that UND doesn't do much out west (in ND).

I hear you. It's always made me sore that UND doesn't do much out west (in ND).

UND was formally invited to join the Big Sky in October of 2010. We've known how the demographics have been changing in that part of the state for quite a while. It would be very disappointing to learn UND hasn't invested significantly more in ad buys and boots on the ground out there in the last couple of years leading up to the "go live" date of Big Sky Conference play. This state isn't big enough to not "do much out west".
  • Upvote 2

UND was formally invited to join the Big Sky in October of 2010. We've known how the demographics have been changing in that part of the state for quite a while. It would be very disappointing to learn UND hasn't invested significantly more in ad buys and boots on the ground out there in the last couple of years leading up to the "go live" date of Big Sky Conference play. This state isn't big enough to not "do much out west".

Western should be Big Sky. With the Oil boom and the geology dept. Harold Hamm has donated big to UND. So many natural tie ins to the Big Sky.

http://www.valleynewslive.com/story/19627018/und-gets-10-million-donation

UND should own from Bismarck and Minot west.

Curious to hear how others would grade this recruiting class so far. Felt we were on the cusp of having a decent to good class, but with not getting Thurman and some other decommits happening I feel like we're behind.

Please explain why you think we're behind and how the class is only decent to good.

The only positions I am up in the air on is LB, CB and possibly RB. Although at RB a guy who knows a lot about IL recruits (EdgyTim) says we got a top 15 back in the state of Illinois so I'll take his word for it. At LB we signed 6 last year so its not like we needed to bring in another 4-5. I think we brought in some real talented kids at OL, WR, DL (even with the WI decomitment), and QB (if we hang onto Riddle). I think its pretty tough to grade a class until everyone signs and shows up on campus.

Cornerback does not seem to be an area of emphasis once I looked at the roster. They did not lose any corners from last year but add Konowalski to the mix. They have the three Brown's, Hall, Mackey, and Harris all back. That makes 7 corners back next year with only two of them being seniors. Next year will be a year to get 1-2 corners.

Who was that?

It's seems Logan Neitzke, a DE out of Wisco that UND was listed as offering by rivals, has committed to Mankato. What Dan is failing to understand is that it's possible UND was no longer recruiting this young man. I'm not saying that we were or were not still on him, but we really don't know so it's hard to say if "We lost a kid to Mankato".

EDIT: Guess UND-1 answered my question as to whether we were still on him.

Exactly. One of the spring "offers". I know for a fact they have not talked to that kid in a long time. Jameer Thurman, yes. Neitzke, no.

So, with Stendler decommitting, is there anyone else in the hopper at DE that UND is heavily after that you've heard of?

It's seems Logan Neitzke, a DE out of Wisco that UND was listed as offering by rivals, has committed to Mankato. What Dan is failing to understand is that it's possible UND was no longer recruiting this young man. I'm not saying that we were or were not still on him, but we really don't know so it's hard to say if "We lost a kid to Mankato".

EDIT: Guess UND-1 answered my question as to whether we were still on him.

You're probably right. Teams do(can) lose interest in some recruits as time goes on.

There is so much misinformation out there concerning recruits and who offered them, it is almost unbelievable. Some of these kids put out bad information and it spreads and can never be verified because coaches cannot speak. Happens to all programs, every year. A prospective recruit won't hear from a school for months but will still tell media outlets that they offered him and were an option.

Thurman is one of the few that spoke honestly about his situation, pointing out that FBS schools were no longer talking to him and clearly laying out who was still actively recruiting him. Wish UND could have gotten him, sounds like he has his head on straight.

He just had a strange tweet, saying "committed to Minnesota State Mankato." Assumed it was a joke.

Why would that "be a joke"? They had an excellent team and a deep run into the playoffs. Some kids just want to play. Maybe it was a better fit for him. The kids with good parents and an IQ above 100 should be smart enough to make the decision based on which school is the best fit academicaly and for them personally. Maybe that is where their friends or girlfriend is going. Maybe their relatives went their. They really don't give a rats behind what we think and they shouldn't. Anyone think the experience for the AC guys winning the FCS championship game is less than the experience for Alabama or more than D2, D3 or NAIA. In the end it isn't. Its about the relationships and the shared experiences. More importantly it is about the education and the college experience. when you get into the real world no one cares if you played FB or danced the Muscular dystrophy dance marathon. Playing a college sport gets one in in some doors but won't keep you there.

• Upvote 4