SiouxSports.com Forum

Petitions

darell1976

I'd respond to your idotic rants directly if you had the common sense to actually quote something I wrote.

As a practical matter, I've been in this fight for over two decades since the time Kendal Baker tried to drop the name over a summer session. Where the !@#$ were you, and the rest of your crying homies, including Spirt Lake?

Moreover, as has been more than adequately established, North Dakota doesn't apply outside its borders, why are the petitioners NOT making this an election year issue for North Dakota's congressional delegation? If they were truly serious about politicizing it they'd move for federal action. Their lack of action in that regard leads me to believe that the current roster of moniker supporters and petition signees are only out to hamstring UND.

Put your f***ing money and votes where your big mouths are.

Nice! Loaded with facts too.

I don't see how it matters the least bit whether someone is an alum or not. There are many stakeholders other than alums. I tried to capture that in the site description...

SiouxSports.com is an online community for fans, media, families, participants, and friends of UND Fighting Sioux athletics.

A fan is a fan; a friend is a friend. Frankly, it's far easier to be a fan or friend of UND Fighting Sioux athletics when you're a student at the institution than to choose to be if you aren't, so those who come to be fans and friends without matriculating are often bigger and/or more involved fans.

That UND fans are so divided on this issue isn't surprising, it's a very emotionally charged topic. But, the extent to which some have begun to declare that those with whom they disagree must either be disloyal (not "true fans") or stupid is disappointing.

You don't really have a stake in anything then, you are an outsider looking in trying to comment about someone's Alma Mater. In my opinion, you have no idea what people are even talking about here, just because you watch a few sporting events doesn't make you an expert. You 2 guys are complete idiots. I don't get what is so hard to understand here, if all these idiots get their way and the nickname sticks, UND will be sanctioned. No home playoff games, not to mention, my personal belief is there is an 80% or more chance of getting kicked out of the BSC. More drama, more fooling. Nickname supporters have their head up their *ss at this point in the game. To the 2 non-college graduates, DaveK and Darell, go to college.

Lighten up Francis...everyone is entitled to their opinion...what difference does it make if you are an alum? I know people that live in GF/EGF that did not graduate from UND. It doesn't make them any less passionate fans...

If all you think of when you hear "University of North Dakota" or "UND" is "Fighting SIoux", you don't know the University of North Dakota.

That is my point also. Attending an institute of higher education is so much more than a poster like Darell or DaveK can understand, they have never attended UND. I am an alumnus of NDSU obviously, and I feel strongly about more than just athletics there. It IS a big deal not to have attended, then come on here and give your $.02 IMO. I'd imagine there is more history and tradition at UND than just the Fighting Sioux Hockey Program, why ruin it, let it go.

You don't really have a stake in anything then, you are an outsider looking in trying to comment about someone's Alma Mater. In my opinion, you have no idea what people are even talking about here, just because you watch a few sporting events doesn't make you an expert. You 2 guys are complete idiots. I don't get what is so hard to understand here, if all these idiots get their way and the nickname sticks, UND will be sanctioned. No home playoff games, not to mention, my personal belief is there is an 80% or more chance of getting kicked out of the BSC. More drama, more fooling. Nickname supporters have their head up their *ss at this point in the game. To the 2 non-college graduates, DaveK and Darell, go to college.

Obviously you never learned how to read...I am against these petitions. I don't want the name to come back unless it has the blessings of the NCAA. I did go to college in GF just not UND. I have been a UND fan since my first ever game in 1984 (UND vs CC in hockey) I am a die hard UND fan. I am sure you can poll fans at the Fargodome and see how many of them are actually Bison alumn, then tell the rest of them they don't have a clue on NDSU sports and for them to go to college. You sir...are an idiot. Stay on Bisonville.

• Upvote 2

That is my point also. Attending an institute of higher education is so much more than a poster like Darell or DaveK can understand, they have never attended UND. I am an alumnus of NDSU obviously, and I feel strongly about more than just athletics there. It IS a big deal not to have attended, then come on here and give your $.02 IMO. I'd imagine there is more history and tradition at UND than just the Fighting Sioux Hockey Program, why ruin it, let it go.

The tradition of the Fighting Sioux hockey program is nothing short of amazing. I have come to understand that through my time at UND as a young man and as I have moved to several different parts of the country through my adult life. I have been in Colorado for the past 12 years and between DU, CC, NCAA regionals and a frozen four here I get it.

To say that our Sioux name is not a very large part of our identity is simply not accepting the reality of what Fighting Sioux Hockey is.

Tell ya what, you-any of you let the name thing go crowd- find me one athelete who in the middle of a successfull proffesional career cites how honored he/she was to be a part of the Bison program the way you CONSTANTLY here it from Fighting Sioux players, then I will accept that I have the wrong idea about the significance of the Sioux name. ..For that matter, how about any hockey player from any other WCHA program.

The Sioux hockey alumni consider themselves a family and their name, Fighting Sioux, is a significant part of that, as it is to me a fan. You can argue until you are blue in the face that this is not true but doing so will not make it so.

The tradition of the Fighting Sioux hockey program is nothing short of amazing. I have come to understand that through my time at UND as a young man and as I have moved to several different parts of the country through my adult life. I have been in Colorado for the past 12 years and between DU, CC, NCAA regionals and a frozen four here I get it.

To say that our Sioux name is not a very large part of our identity is simply not accepting the reality of what Fighting Sioux Hockey is.

Tell ya what, you-any of you let the name thing go crowd- find me one athelete who in the middle of a successfull proffesional career cites how honored he/she was to be a part of the Bison program the way you CONSTANTLY here it from Fighting Sioux players, then I will accept that I have the wrong idea about the significance of the Sioux name. ..For that matter, how about any hockey player from any other WCHA program.

The Sioux hockey alumni consider themselves a family and their name, Fighting Sioux, is a significant part of that, as it is to me a fan. You can argue until you are blue in the face that this is not true but doing so will not make it so.

Phil Hansen.

• Upvote 1

The hockey program is great. It's something that the University and the state can be proud of. But the University of North Dakota is much more than just the hockey program. The Athletic Department is much more than just the hockey program. The sanctions and other possible penalties because of the nickname issue are going to hurt the hockey program, the Athletic Department and the state of North Dakota.
  • Upvote 2

If all you think of when you hear "University of North Dakota" or "UND" is "Fighting SIoux", you don't know the University of North Dakota.

Obviously, it's more than a nickname. When I think of UND, I think of good years in law school there, being dressed down by Larry Kraft when I was not ready in Torts, the Malpractice Bowl, beating NDSU in FB, the Down Under, Zep Grinders pacifying beer munchies, pancakes at 2 am at what is now Simonson's on Highway 2, and yes, many hockey games. Add to that now the idea of a university that's been assaulted for no good reason at all by an abusive and unaccountable monopolistic entity. While UND is more than just a nickname, like it or not "Fighting Sioux", after 80 plus years, its ID calling card. While it is known for aviation and while there are many, many good programs there, the thing that has brought it the most national recognition has been the "Fighting Sioux" hockey program via all of the players it has sent to the NHL. What you say is true, in large part, but it is a simplistic take on it erring on the side of minimizing. Nicknames do not cause problems. Drunken idiots cause problems.

Now the "academics" want to ban (or at least not teach) such classics as Walt Whitman's "Song of Myself" (evidently the phrase "barbaric yawp" was just too much for them to take and too traumatic for the Native Americans according to white professors, of course), Huck Finn (yes, the use of the "N" word in that book is just too much, even though it was part of the vernacular in Twain's time and even though his use of the word was purposeful to enhance the literary effect of the novel), and the Lysistrata - one of the funniest classic Greek comedies one will read (evidently, women withholding sex in order to stop two warring Greek armies is just too insulting to modern day feminists). Like the nickname and logo, these classics do not cause "problems" or "concerns." Rather, it is the hypersensitive conceit of various literary "professionals" imputing their own particular twisted psychological phobias onto such magnificent works of art that is the genesis of any "problems." Might as well just have a bonfire and burn books.

You oppose this phenomenon regardless the particular manifestation. It is more than just the nickname. It is the inscrutable, malevolent conceit which imputes "concerns" and "offensiveness" to books or nicknames that is the thing to be opposed with inflexible resolve. This is political correctness at its core.

• Upvote 1

So if the nickname was something other than Fighting Sioux the athletes you mentioned above would be less honored or less satisfied with their careers at UND? Was it the college, facilities, coaches, fans, and their own hard work that made them enjoy their time at UND and helped them continue to develop their skills to advance their careers or was it the Fighting Sioux nickname alone? Would a nickname of anything else made them less proud to attend UND? I'm thinking their pride in the university is because of their experiences on and off the ice or field, the successes and times they had as a team, and the support they received from the fans. I'm not going to far out on a limb when I say the Ralph isn't going to stop selling out every night cause the nickname is gone. The fans aren't going to stop traveling in bunches to road games cause the nickname is gone. And playing for the University of North Dakota is not going to become any less of a privilege once the nickname is gone.

• Upvote 2

Obviously you never learned how to read...I am against these petitions. I don't want the name to come back unless it has the blessings of the NCAA. I did go to college in GF just not UND. I have been a UND fan since my first ever game in 1984 (UND vs CC in hockey) I am a die hard UND fan. I am sure you can poll fans at the Fargodome and see how many of them are actually Bison alumn, then tell the rest of them they don't have a clue on NDSU sports and for them to go to college. You sir...are an idiot. Stay on Bisonville.

There is more to a University than sports or a nickname. You went to college in Grand Forks but it wasn't UND, congratulations on your 2 year tech degree. Proves my point you don't have a clue about what it's like to go to a 4+ year university and grow as an adult.

Just more nonsense from someone that advocates the "martyrdom" of the rest of the athletic department so that hockey team can be called the Fighting Sioux. Get a clue...

• Upvote 4

There is more to a University than sports or a nickname. You went to college in Grand Forks but it wasn't UND, congratulations on your 2 year tech degree. Proves my point you don't have a clue about what it's like to go to a 4+ year university and grow as an adult.

Why don't you troll over back to BVille. So because I don't have a UND degree I can't say what I want about a school I love. I will let my wife know who is a Bison fan (not an NDSU alumn) that she can't say anything about NDSU. Got it.

• Upvote 1

Why don't you troll over back to BVille. So because I don't have a UND degree I can't say what I want about a school I love. I will let my wife know who is a Bison fan (not an NDSU alumn) that she can't say anything about NDSU. Got it.

NOW you are getting it. Neither one of you stepped a foot on campus day in and day out, studying, getting involved in campus activities, gaining life long friends, living the college experience. No, a 2 year tech. degree or Associates Degree that you gained probably as a S.O.T.A. while working nights at wal-mart doesn't count. You can say what you want, but you have no credibility, no true passion. Being a Bison is and always be a part of my life, just as the UND graduates that are discussing this topic will always be a Sioux or whatever. There is more to it than just a hockey team, just as there is more to NDSU than just a football team.

• Upvote 1

Just because I didn't go to any classes doesn't mean I can't be a fan. I am a fan of the Miami Dolphins and I have thoughts about their team. But I guess that isn't good enough since I didn't hike the ball to Dan Marino. You are so stupid you know that, just because one doesn't go to the school doesn't mean they can't be a fan or voice their opinion on it. Do you think President Kelley cares what I type here? No but was kind enough to reply to my emails I sent him asking him questions about the transition and the nickname. I support UND athletics by buying their gear (with and without the Sioux name and logo), I pay for tickets, I pay for food, parking, and cheer for them whether its on the radio, tv, internet or in person. I support UND athletics not just the name. So I see the name coming back as a doom for athletics. Unless the NCAA gets on board which they won't unless the SL wins their lawsuit (not holding my breath on that), I am for UND moving forward in the Big Sky without the Sioux name and logo. Why don't you just poll everyone who posts here if they are UND Alumn or not and if they support the petitions, why single me and Dave K out? He is for the petitions..I am against them. its 1-1. There is your start..now start your poll.

There is more to a university than athletics, you still don't get it. I singled you and DaveK out because you are the 2 most idiotic "Sioux" fans, yet both of you lose all credibility about how passionate you are by not being an alumnus. Yes, I understand you can be a fan, blah blah blah, most people probably didn't go to school there etc...but you 2 just take the cake. Buying a few game tickets and a couple of t-shirts doesn't make it in my book. That's just how I feel, there is more to it than a nickname for a sports team, there is the institution as a whole.

• Upvote 1

There is more to a university than athletics, you still don't get it. I singled you and DaveK out because you are the 2 most idiotic "Sioux" fans, yet both of you lose all credibility about how passionate you are by not being an alumnus. Yes, I understand you can be a fan, blah blah blah, most people probably didn't go to school there etc...but you 2 just take the cake. Buying a few game tickets and a couple of t-shirts doesn't make it in my book. That's just how I feel, there is more to it than a nickname for a sports team, there is the institution as a whole.

So when I tell you for the millionth time I am against the Sioux name coming back...you still call me an idiot "Sioux" fan. I am a UND fan. I do love the name and logo but returning it runs the risk of being booted from the Big Sky. Ask others on this board and they will tell you, or better yet look at my posts on this subject you will see I am against these petitions. You are the idiot.

I agree that you sir are a CLOWN. And guess what champ, I'm a University of North Dakota FIGHTINGSIOUX "alum". There, does that make my opinion count for more?

For YOU to not have graduated from UND and have such a strong opinion, and then discard the opinions of those who don't agree with you because THEY aren't UND alums, is pretty hypocritical and stupid don't you think?

And YES, I'm a nickname supporter.

FIGHTING SIOUX FOREVER!!!

Forever!!!