SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota v. Montana

bincitysioux

Regardless of how many points Schuler had tonight, he bailed out the other guards when Montana put on the press. He seemed to be in a lot of the right places a majority of the time. And yes, he was the only one hitting his free throws. Anderson wasn't bad but Webb was pretty terrible (talking about free throws at the end of the game and OT). I also thought Wilmer had a good game. Played strong in the post and gave the team some momentum. Nice to see someone of that size on our team making a difference. Montana went with 4 guards and a center for a lot of the 2nd half so he didn't get much time on the court in the 2nd half or OT. It was a fun game to be at and nice to see the boys pull out the win.

• Upvote 1

I went to the game for the first time in quite a while. Ugly game. No flow in the first half. So many fouls and dribbling turnovers both ways. Sioux were getting worked inside early. Once our guards starting playing some help D we did better. I'd be surprised if Montana shot from outside more than 5 times in first half. Second half was frustrating to watch but at least wasn't so much down time. Montana was hitting 3's lights out. I think 5 in a row at one point. And our guards did not attack the zone defense unless they dribbled right into someone. Too many turnovers. Too many missed threes. And free throws!!!!

Ok, so I sound like a debbie downer, but we should've throttled them. Some good things. Brekke's first step is so quick and he tipped so many shots. And I love his roll off a screen. Most of our big guys are open on the roll, but the guards don't get them the ball. Mitchel can score anywhere in the paint. I thought the guards did a very good job driving to the hoop early. Webb and his floater in the lane. We have some quickness and definitely can jump. Lots of blocked and redirected shots.

Imagine making some extra free throws and having half the turnovers. Then its more like a 20 point win. Though our D did good job grabbing turnovers as well especially in ot.

Yeah it was pretty sloppy. Brekke was open numerous times of the pick and roll it was frustrating when they didn't give him the ball. We missed 19 free throws in the game! WOW! Looks like we need some practice in that area!

Regardless of how many points Schuler had tonight, he bailed out the other guards when Montana put on the press. He seemed to be in a lot of the right places a majority of the time. And yes, he was the only one hitting his free throws. Anderson wasn't bad but Webb was pretty terrible (talking about free throws at the end of the game and OT). I also thought Wilmer had a good game. Played strong in the post and gave the team some momentum. Nice to see someone of that size on our team making a difference. Montana went with 4 guards and a center for a lot of the 2nd half so he didn't get much time on the court in the 2nd half or OT. It was a fun game to be at and nice to see the boys pull out the win.

I thought Montana's big strength was supposed to be on the inside and they were so much bigger than us? I didn't see it. They worked us early in the paint, but then we got better and better defensively and offensively in the paint. They slowly went to more guards and zone D which did change things. And how nice is it that we have such a big bench? We were rotating 4 posts and 6 guards I believe.

I used to be one of the more avid UND basketball fans around, but admittedly lost some interest in the past few years. However, I am as enthusiastic about the future of UND men's basketball right now as I've been in 20 years. This was a great win tonight, and I suspect people will start taking notice and the attendance will greatly improve.

• Upvote 1

No more free throw talk. It's all mental. They know they need impovement.

I went to the bar tonight. Saw a basketball plaer. .. Congratulated him on the Win.l I asked if he ever went on Siouxsports.com. He said yup. I said "I am cratter."...he said yeah I know you! While constructive critisism is always good. Positive reinforcement is always best.

1st UND MBB game I've watched since that fiasco and loss vs. Valley City St. at the Betty a couple years back. Jones has made great strides in getting talent to UND. Was impressed with what I saw last night. Nice win vs. a very solid Big Sky team.

I watched the game last night, and that first half was the team I was hoping would show up this season. They did a great job. The second half was the team I was hoping would be the team never to return. That was horrible!! Up by 11 at the half on a team picked second in the BSC, only to come back at the end just to send it to OT (with a chance to win it if they learned how to make a FT). Shooting I give a B+. 3 pointers were good when we needed them, driving to the lane shots were alright, and jump shots could have been better. Defense C+. REBOUNDING!!!! You can't give Montana a chance for a second shot. It looked like in the second half we would never get the ball without them scoring. Turnovers...F!!! First half was bad with carring the ball calls, but second half was worse with bad passing. Free Throws...I give a flippin Z if there was such a rating. Obviously they need more time shooting them in practice. Last year was bad enough this year I thought it would improve...guess not. Coaching B+/A-. Brian Jones did a great job keeping his kids focused and to keep their heads up late when UND fell behind. This team is showing a lot of promise. Now UND has 2 more BSC tests this year. Dec 3rd at ISU and Dec 18th at Sac St. I hope we can go 4-0 and prove to the BSC teams and fans that allowing us in was no mistake and we will fight for that title!!

All five sophomores scored in double figures, and combined for 76 of UND's 88 points.

That is impressive and that is our future right there. A lot of negative comments when a young UND team beat a team picked to be second in the Big Sky and had a RPI of around 130+. This was a huge step and a BIG win regardless of how we won or how it looked. Go Sioux

Yes, and never let Schuler bring the ball up the floor.

You got to be kidding me. He is more under control than any guard we have. He got mugged on his turnover late in the game bringing the ball up the floor and no call was made. I personally would rather have him with the ball late in the game than any other guard we have. He has showed control and poise over these last 2 years more than anybody.

You know our program is getting better when we don't play as good as everyone would like and still beat a perennial power in the Big Sky. You would think everyone would be thrilled. Expectations are already very high. This is a very exciting time for our basketball program. It is hard to believe that we had 4 sophmores score in double figures. It should be a great game on Saturday too.

You got to be kidding me. He is more under control than any guard we have. He got mugged on his turnover late in the game bringing the ball up the floor and no call was made. I personally would rather have him with the ball late in the game than any other guard we have. He has showed control and poise over these last 2 years more than anybody.

I agree. Normally Schuler and Anderson are reliable free throw shooters and smart with the ball. They are who should have the ball in their hands late in a close game. Anderson struggled with free throw shooting last night, but I believe that was an aberration.

• Upvote 1

I went to the game for the first time in quite a while. Ugly game. No flow in the first half. So many fouls and dribbling turnovers both ways. Sioux were getting worked inside early. Once our guards starting playing some help D we did better. I'd be surprised if Montana shot from outside more than 5 times in first half. Second half was frustrating to watch but at least wasn't so much down time. Montana was hitting 3's lights out. I think 5 in a row at one point. And our guards did not attack the zone defense unless they dribbled right into someone. Too many turnovers. Too many missed threes. And free throws!!!!

Ok, so I sound like a debbie downer, but we should've throttled them. Some good things. Brekke's first step is so quick and he tipped so many shots. And I love his roll off a screen. Most of our big guys are open on the roll, but the guards don't get them the ball. Mitchel can score anywhere in the paint. I thought the guards did a very good job driving to the hoop early. Webb and his floater in the lane. We have some quickness and definitely can jump. Lots of blocked and redirected shots.

Imagine making some extra free throws and having half the turnovers. Then its more like a 20 point win. Though our D did good job grabbing turnovers as well especially in ot.

Got to be kidding me. Ugly game, we were up 11 in the first half to a team that was in the NCAA 2 years ago with some of the same players who are seniors now. Great win and very exciting game. Everyone enjoy this big win and HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all supporters. Go Sioux

Got to be kidding me. Ugly game, we were up 11 in the first half to a team that was in the NCAA 2 years ago with some of the same players who are seniors now. Great win and very exciting game. Everyone enjoy this big win and HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all supporters. Go Sioux

Agree. That game wasn't ugly, considering the opponent and their skill level. Frustrating at times, with the inability to penetrate the zone in the 2nd half, hit key free throws, and some poor passing decisions late.

What is ugly about UND's game, and I mean this with all due respect, is that UND's team doesn't look like thoroughbred recruits that Montana has. UND players, by and large, didn't get interest from other schools because they were either too short (Anderson, Webb, Schuler, even Brekke) or too scrawny. Anderson may turn out to be the best player in the Dakotas, and none of the other schools even gave him a look because of his height and frame. Would rather have Brekke than any of Montana's big men, as he's quicker with his feet. UND men's basketball is like a mutt that can do a lot of things well: wouldn't win any pedigree dog shows like Montana or NDSU would.

Got to be kidding me. Ugly game, we were up 11 in the first half to a team that was in the NCAA 2 years ago with some of the same players who are seniors now. Great win and very exciting game. Everyone enjoy this big win

and HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all supporters. Go Sioux

What game were you watching? Because if you were implying that it was a pretty game then you are mistaken. The stretch in second half for Montana was good ball and then by us in the end and ot. But overall it was an ugly game regardless of the outcome. I believe each team had turnovers in the 20s and there were a lot of fouls slowing things down. My ugly game comment was to the action on the floor and not the scoreboard.

Now just because a game is ugly doesn't mean it can't have excitement as this game proved. But in reality I felt that the Sioux should have been able to win by around 20. I think we were and are that much better than Montana. What's wrong with having higher expectations after what we've seen these guys can do?

Edit: and it was a big win!

Edited by Smoggy