SiouxSports.com Forum

Major Reforms to the BCS?

IrishSiouxFan

Its not that difficult, 16 team playoff. 11 conf champs and 5 addl bids using the current FBS system. 44 addl teams outside the playoff could still play in bowls, and bowls could govern playoff games too. It doesnt need to be bowls or playoffs, it can be both.

• Upvote 1

Its not that difficult, 16 team playoff. 11 conf champs and 5 addl bids using the current FBS system. 44 addl teams outside the playoff could still play in bowls, and bowls could govern playoff games too. It doesnt need to be bowls or playoffs, it can be both.

That is my vision for a playoff system as well. It's fair, it rewards the all-important "regular season", it gives non-playoff teams something to shoot for (lower-level bowl games) and it would drive fan interest through the roof.

And if the "it would hurt academics" crowd wants to be credible in their argument, they should also advocate to abolish the NCAA basketball tournament and replace it with a BCS-style system where the media and coaches "vote in" the national champion. Sounds preposterous? It is, but that is what the BCS-ites are protecting. It's time for football to join all other sports in the 21st century.

• 2 weeks later...

The title game will be set to make the most money for someone, not to determine a champion.

I agree with this and it will be very interesting to see if the city of New Orleans is going to like home town LSU vs. a one day drive Alabama playing for a national title. I'm guessing they would rather have at least one team, who will travel well and has fans that will stay for the weekend.

I wish they had a full playoff but the only thing I keep hearing that comes close is the plus 1.

For those that aren't familiar with the plus 1 system it is basically a 4 team playoff. #1 would play #4, #2 would play #3 and the winners would play one more (plus 1) to determine the national champions.

I, personally, don't want to see small conference schools able to play for the championship. That is unless they are required to play a certain amount of non conference games against major conference opponents. Otherwise your giving the big schools the shaft. A one loss SEC, B1G, or Pac12 school deserves a bid over any undefeated team from the Big East or the likes. I guess in my eyes its no different that class a and class b in north dakota sports. Yes, you could have a good class b team but every class b team would get dominated by a good class a team. You can't punish teams for playing better competition, in fact, they should be rewarded.

I wish they had a full playoff but the only thing I keep hearing that comes close is the plus 1.

For those that aren't familiar with the plus 1 system it is basically a 4 team playoff. #1 would play #4, #2 would play #3 and the winners would play one more (plus 1) to determine the national champions.

I, personally, don't want to see small conference schools able to play for the championship. That is unless they are required to play a certain amount of non conference games against major conference opponents. Otherwise your giving the big schools the shaft. A one loss SEC, B1G, or Pac12 school deserves a bid over any undefeated team from the Big East or the likes. I guess in my eyes its no different that class a and class b in north dakota sports. Yes, you could have a good class b team but every class b team would get dominated by a good class a team. You can't punish teams for playing better competition, in fact, they should be rewarded.

Thats where a playoff could become a reality. You got the big conferences (Pac, Big 10,Big 12 SEC etc) battling for their bowls and BCS Title and the little guys (MAC, WAC, Sun Belt, C-USA etc) can have their own "national title" game. In a way maybe the NCAA basketball tournament could do that too. As the number of teams increase so does the water of the tournament. UND will never have an at-large bid no matter what so our only ticket is the BSC title win. I don't see UND getting past the first round, unless they pull off a buzzer beater. Its time to have the dance for the Kansas', Duke's, and North Carolina's of the world and have another title game for the little guys. (NIT is a good tourny for the bigger bubble schools, but the CIT is for the little guy so far.

good piece by Rick Reilly on espn.com about why Alabama should not get a free pass to the national championship game...

http://espn.go.com/e...-bcs-title-game

LSU vs. Oklahoma State (if the Cowboys beat Oklahoma on Saturday) would be tasty. And Gundy did say he'd consider his team for No. 2 if it beat OU.

Just to introduce you to OSU. An offense that scores approximately every 11.3 seconds. A strength of schedule ranked 10th, compared with Alabama's at 38th. A team whose only loss was in double overtime to Iowa State the same week an OSU school plane crashed, killing two women's basketball coaches. A school that beat five teams with winning records to Alabama's three. A team with four wins over BCS top 25 teams to Alabama's two. Hello?

This SEC bias has to stop. The world of college football doesn't end at the Louisiana border.

• Upvote 1

After what has happened the last few weeks in NCAA football really expose the BCS for the sham that it is. Unfortunately.....too much money GOING TO THE WRONG TEAMS* will prevent any playoff or rational system for determining the national champion.

Fixed and clarified that post for you. ;)

* ... "the wrong teams" are any teams not in the private elitist clubs called the SEC, ACC, Big {integer here}, Big {Roman numeral here}, or Pac {integer here}.