SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX V. IDAHO ST.

bincitysioux

Fun to see North Dakota tonight. I like big men, and thought that Brekke would be more of a factor tonight. But if it is common knowledge that mid-major basketball revolves around the guard postion, I like where UND is at. Webb and Anderson looked real good, Huff had his moments, and Schuler knocked down his shots when they presented. There are alot of good athletes on this team. Don't really know what kind of team ISU is, but it gives me a good feeling to know that we played so well against a Big Sky team in the 2nd game of the year.

A few thoughts:

-Free throw shooting could still improve.........it was a problem last year

-Wilmer did not play due to injury

-Didn't hear Spencer Goodman's name called at all. Don't know if he's injured or what...........

-Both Brekke and Mathison got into foul trouble fairly early

-Lenny Antwi played, but didn't hear Genry or Benton's name called at all. Antwi looks like a very similar player to Aaron Anderson

-I thought Jordan Allard played well

Goodman wasn't dressed and Wilmer wasn't even there. Gentry played for a very short time in the first half and Benton is redshirting. Huff looked like he wanted to control the game too much and the other players seemed hesitant to pass him the ball. I really liked our depth though.

I really liked our depth though.

If tonight is any indication, the depth of this team could be a huge asset. If Wilmer can stay healthy, I like the defensive aspects of the post area with Brekke, Archer, Mitchell, and Wilmer. As far as the guards go, with Schuler, Webb, Anderson, Antwi, and Goodman................things are looking up..............

Listening on the radio, sounded like Wilmer was sick with something or had a case of food poisoning, can't remember which. I think Gentry only got a couple minutes but not very much. I really liked what I heard about this team tonight. ISU put up 74 against Oklahoma this weekend, then come up here and we hold them to 47, that sounds like some good defense. They were also able to play very well against 7'4" center, even without Wilmer.

I'm feeling good about this team, they are athletic, playing within the offense, and it sounds as if they are attacking the boards a lot more than last year. We have solid depth and can get quality scoring from several people.

On Saturday during the radio broadcast it was reported that Goodman had indeed had an injury setback- how big of setback was yet to be determined as he was still being evaluated. Last night it was reported that Wilmer was out with what was believed to be food born illness. If Wilmer had any luck whatsoever-- he would have no luck at all.

This team still has areas that they need to improve. But they compete and last night showed why it's extrememly important to have a lot of guys that can play. That first half the fouls mounted and we kept going to the bench, and we didn't relinquish the lead- that is a good sign. Anderson so far has been awesome. Him and Webb together so far have been a great combination, but the best part about it is that they are only sophmores. Also, Schuler, I like him. He may go a little unsung but when he is on the floor, you will get consistency. He rarely looks flustered- that calmness is a huge plus in big games.

This team still has areas that they need to improve. But they compete and last night showed why it's extrememly important to have a lot of guys that can play. That first half the fouls mounted and we kept going to the bench, and we didn't relinquish the lead- that is a good sign. Anderson so far has been awesome. Him and Webb together so far have been a great combination, but the best part about it is that they are only sophmores. Also, Schuler, I like him. He may go a little unsung but when he is on the floor, you will get consistency. He rarely looks flustered- that calmness is a huge plus in big games.

Not to get ahead of ourselves and please don't get me wrong.... I know we have A LOT of work to do... but the fact that the nucleus of this team comprises mostly frosh and sophs (with solid role-playing upperclassmen) has not been lost on me either. IMHO, beating down a lower tier Big Sky program by double digits (16 points ), and one that took Oklahoma to the wire, is a sign of good things to come. This young team is only going to grow and get better over the next three years. There's a lot to this story that still needs to be told and a lot of those questions could be answered this season. I have a dream, my friends, that in couple years this team might have an autobid within reach. Please don't wake me! :lol:

• Upvote 1