SiouxSports.com Forum

Drug Task Force Raids Phi Delta Theta

Vegas_Sioux

Everything is addictive. Coffee, Mountain Dew, fast food, the internet, you name it... pretty much anything can be addictive. The point is that pot is such a lowlife activity that who in their right mind would want to try it? What if you like it? Then you'll want to do it again and again and again until pretty soon you turn into Jeff Spicoli from Fast Times At Ridgemont High or Leo from That '70s Show. Nobody wants to be that guy, living in your parents' basement when you're 40 because you spend all of your disposable income on drugs and can't afford a place of your own. Smoking pot is the first step towards becoming that guy, which is why I find it laughable that anybody could try to make the argument that it is harmless. I knew people in high school who smoked pot, and I have seen what they've turned into as adults.

Seriously? I thought you were joking at first but clearly you are just delusional. If you are going to compare pot to alcohol I think you better do further research. Smoking pot in no way, shape, or form means you will end up 40 years old living in your parent's basement. I've been smoking pot on and off since the age of 16 and it definitely didn't lead me down the path that you describe. I have a college degree, a full-time job, and I'm currently working towards a masters degree. I read, write, play music, and even volunteer my time to charity on occasion; I'd say that makes me a productive member of society. My family has a history of alcoholism so I've never been much of a drinker, with the exception of my college days at UND. I have terrible social anxiety that I've suffered from all my life and the doctor's treatment for this condition involves heavy medication through the use of Benzodiazepines such as Xanex or Valium. I'd rather not live my life as a total zombie so instead I choose to smoke pot to deal with my anxiety and I live a much happier life than I did while on the medication typically used to treat this condition. I know many people that use pot in very similar ways and they also contribute to society just as I do so I am not the sole example of how marijuana can be used responsibly. I am not saying that marijuana is all good either; it is still a drug and needs to be treated with respect and used in a responsible manner. All I'm saying is that you shouldn't be so quick to judge because both pot and alcohol have negative sides as well as positive and all factors should be considered before you make a judgement.

• Upvote 4

Precisely. As Prohibition adequately demonstrated, the only people who benefit from "wars" on various subtances, for religious, moral or whatever reasons are criminals who deal the stuff, governmental agencies who enforce the "law" and the "do gooders" who push their respective agendas. I'm surprised the GF "Drug Task Force" hasn't tried to seize the Phi Delt house and sell it at auction ... yet.

You know they could easily sieze the property and sell it.

Everything is addictive. Coffee, Mountain Dew, fast food, the internet, you name it... pretty much anything can be addictive. The point is that pot is such a lowlife activity that who in their right mind would want to try it? What if you like it? Then you'll want to do it again and again and again until pretty soon you turn into Jeff Spicoli from Fast Times At Ridgemont High or Leo from That '70s Show. Nobody wants to be that guy, living in your parents' basement when you're 40 because you spend all of your disposable income on drugs and can't afford a place of your own. Smoking pot is the first step towards becoming that guy, which is why I find it laughable that anybody could try to make the argument that it is harmless. I knew people in high school who smoked pot, and I have seen what they've turned into as adults.

:whistling:

Here's what bothers me: Do what you will in the privacy of your own home.

But by doing this in a common spaces facility like a frat house you're putting your neighbors ("brothers") at risk (exposure or legal) when they may not choose to engage in the behavior.

A lot of jobs require a pee-test: Can you imagine throwing a positive because your neighbor lit up and exposed you?

While I acknowledge that there is responsible and irresponsible use of alcohol, I do not believe that there is any such thing as responsibe use of marijuana. It is an illegal substance. In order to acquire it you must find a drug dealer, which is associating yourself with a criminal element. You can't use it socially in public, you have to sneak around and always be looking over your shoulder. Ask yourself are the risks worth the reward. Considering that there is no reward and there are substantial risks, I just don't get how anybody is into that garbage. There is no positive side to marijuana. I wish that 100% of employers would test for it and immediately dismiss anybody who tests positive. We don't need a bunch of Jeff Spicolis wandering throuigh life high as a kite 24/7. I think that Xanex or Valium would be the more responsible way for you to handle your particular situation. You aren't doing yourself any favors with the illegal stuff and honestly I can't believe you actually had the nerve to post on the internet that you use it.

:lol:

While I acknowledge that there is responsible and irresponsible use of alcohol, I do not believe that there is any such thing as responsibe use of marijuana. It is an illegal substance. In order to acquire it you must find a drug dealer, which is associating yourself with a criminal element. You can't use it socially in public, you have to sneak around and always be looking over your shoulder. Ask yourself are the risks worth the reward. Considering that there is no reward and there are substantial risks, I just don't get how anybody is into that garbage. There is no positive side to marijuana. I wish that 100% of employers would test for it and immediately dismiss anybody who tests positive. We don't need a bunch of Jeff Spicolis wandering throuigh life high as a kite 24/7. I think that Xanex or Valium would be the more responsible way for you to handle your particular situation. You aren't doing yourself any favors with the illegal stuff and honestly I can't believe you actually had the nerve to post on the internet that you use it.

Although I don't post very often I do follow these boards on a regular basis and I frequently see your comments on various subjects. While in the past I may have defended you, it is now clear to me that you truly are off your rocker. There are 16 states in the US which have legalized medical marijuana use and 6 states with pending legislation or ballot measure to do the same. For those who happen to live in one of these states they are not illegally acquiring pot through drug dealers but instead purchasing their marijuana legally through medical dispensaries. As for risks versus no reward, I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that. Clearly you don't use marijuana so I'm not even going to bother trying to explain to you the advantages of using it to treat various conditions. But if you think the typical medical treatments are the most "responsible" options then again you really need to do more research before you start judging other people. Take a look at the link below:

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000145

As for me being open about how I use marijuana and posting it online; what exactly makes you think you have the right to judge me? or anyone else for that matter? I could care less what you think about my decisions. Plain and simple, marijuana helps me live a better life so I'm going to continue using it regardless of what anyone thinks. Oh and who the heck is Jeff Spicolis? seriously

• Upvote 2

You must be from the reefer madness generation. Do you really believe everything you hear on TV?

I happen to work for a company that has been invested in by Google Ventures and the Foundry Group and I dabble from time to time because it is a much better and safer stress reliever than booze. It is sad that you feel the need to characterize people because they smoke a plant the naturally grows in the ground. I also have to say that I am much more productive and successful that many of my peers that don't smoke. They do not test us for Mary Jane because it is not a problem! It should also not be considered a schedule 1 drug; although it should be controlled like alcohol because kids should not play with it until they are at least 18 year old adults.

Other than that you are so out of touch with reality. The fact that you think taking prescription drugs like valium instead of a natural plant shows that you have ZERO credibility here. You sound like a Bison fan in denial about us being in the polls!

• Upvote 1

Many hardcore "druggies" prefer prescription drugs. They think its the best thing ever. Too many prescription drugs to mention. Half are basically the same and crack/meth/etc. I know people who fake something to go to the ER all the time for "drugs."

The government is in the drug dealing business.

• Upvote 1

The war on drugs is a joke. It does more harm then good. Especially when it comes to marijuana. I don't smoke pot but you can use common sense to tell you that the war on drugs doesn't do anything but create more problems than it fixes. You have a completely harmless and non addictive "drug" that is outlawed. What does outlawing it do? Well for starters you do nothing but give criminals such as the cartels more money. People aren't going to stop smoking it because its illegal, it didn't work with alcohol prohibition and it doesn't work for pot. So the cartels get more money to buy more guns and more cops and more politicians. Next, your putting non violent criminals in prison where they have to adapt to prison life to survive so when they are released they are more violent than they originally were. Finally, by putting these non violent "criminals" in prison you do nothing but waste tax payer dollars and overwhelm the prison system. All of this because of a plant.

The whole "its a gateway drug" is total bs. The entire war on drugs and anti marijuana advertising does nothing but breed fallacy. Do you guys realize who some of the main funders are for advertising the war on drugs? Liquor and cigarette companies. They know if it becomes legal that their profits will dip. Lastly, pot is not addictive in any way. Whoever said it is is full of it. There is a difference between abusing a product and being addicted to a product. An addiction is a chemical imbalance that makes the body seemingly need the product. If you smoke pot for 2 years and then go cold turkey you don't go in withdrawals. You don't start sweating and have an increased heartbeat. Things like heroin and alcohol cause that and that can lead to death. Pot doesn't do that. Sure you can abuse the product, but you can abuse damn near anything. I can abuse water and drink it and drink it and I will eventually die. I could stab my eye out with a fork. I can speed my car around like crazy. Yes I'm abusing the product I'm using but we don't go out and outlaw water, forks, or cars.

People tend to make assumptions on things because of what is on tv and what their parents told them. It doesn't matter if the information they receive is correct or not. If opposers to marijuana actually went out and spent some time to RESEARCH what they believe, I think that they would really be surprised at what they find.

• Upvote 1

I've never smelled it. I think cigarette smoke is gross, so guessing this is worse. I have zero interest in it.

That said, I think a society that is totally bent on going after people who use pot for recreation purposes has some issues. Prohibition of alcohol didn't work. This isn't working. I have no interest in weed, but I have even less interest in living in a police state.

• Upvote 4

"During the initial sweep of the house, officers saw multiple pieces of drug paraphernalia in plain view. They confiscated half an ounce of marijuana, several pipes, baggies, a marijuana grinder and a digital scale in Miller’s room.

Miller was read his Miranda rights and agreed to an interview, during which he told police that he sold marijuana and where they could find drugs and paraphernalia in his room, police documents say."

I would say that the kid is going to do some jail time, that guy is probably low level dealer. They "might" let him plead down if he gives up his supplier to the drug task force. This is really not minor either...

I would say that the kid is going to do some jail time, that guy is probably low level dealer. They "might" let him plead down if he gives up his supplier to the drug task force. This is really not minor either...

He won't do any time. At most some weekends, but no real time. Low level? The kid is a nickle and dime hustler who at most gets a quarter pound. Pushing it a half pound based on the amount of the 2 postal orders. My guess is that the Moriarty kid got popped and gave up his buudy.

To be fair, I don't enjoy being around people who are extremely intoxicated either. The difference with pot is even if they're just a little bit stoned they're still so stupid it takes every bit of restraint to keep from punching them in the face. People who are just a little bit drunk are fun to be around, it's just the idiots who get completely wasted that give alcohol a bad name.

You really have no idea what you are talking about do you?
  • Upvote 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKgY5eOlhEc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZyqhtwmJ5c&feature=related- has some swear words

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it should be illegal. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't smoke pot but its a joke to think I should be able to tell others they can't. I know many people that still smoke pot and they aren't dumb, lazy esc and further more none of them feel an urge to go try heroin, cocaine, or meth. I guarantee you that you know people that smoke pot and you don't even realize it. Your logic is no different than the anti Sioux nickname opponents. Its the whole I don't like it so you shouldn't have it. It just doesn't make any sense. Look at it this way. If you have a kid and they got caught smoking pot do you think they deserve to be in prison with sex offenders, murderers and the likes?

• Upvote 3