SiouxSports.com Forum

Drug Task Force Raids Phi Delta Theta

Vegas_Sioux

Miracles do happen. Why waste time, money, and resources on this? The fines will not even cover the money that was wasted here.

We can argue the merits of the classification of certain drugs, but lets not forget:

law enforcement isn't about covering "expenses." Unless you are advocating for higher fines? Higher texting and driving fines? higher speeding tickets?

Quick side note. I was going 65 in a 55 on "South Washington" five miles outside of town to the south. The ticket was a whooping $10.

Half an ounce? Big bust there.

Did you read the whole article?

"During the initial sweep of the house, officers saw multiple pieces of drug paraphernalia in plain view. They confiscated half an ounce of marijuana, several pipes, baggies, a marijuana grinder and a digital scale in Miller’s room.

Miller was read his Miranda rights and agreed to an interview, during which he told police that he sold marijuana and where they could find drugs and paraphernalia in his room, police documents say."

Here's how I read it. They found 1/2 an ounce in plain view, arrested the kid, who in turn agreed to be interviewed. During that interview, he tells them where to find more drugs and paraphernalia in his room.

How many ounces have to be found/confiscated to make the search warrant worth it?

Did you read the whole article?

"During the initial sweep of the house, officers saw multiple pieces of drug paraphernalia in plain view. They confiscated half an ounce of marijuana, several pipes, baggies, a marijuana grinder and a digital scale in Miller’s room.

Miller was read his Miranda rights and agreed to an interview, during which he told police that he sold marijuana and where they could find drugs and paraphernalia in his room, police documents say."

Here's how I read it. They found 1/2 an ounce in plain view, arrested the kid, who in turn agreed to be interviewed. During that interview, he tells them where to find more drugs and paraphernalia in his room.

How many ounces have to be found/confiscated to make the search warrant worth it?

Read the sentence that you put in bold again. They got the half in his room. As usual the Herald writers do not put sentences in proper order. To answer your question get at least a pound to make it worthwhile.

Typical pothead spin, try to create the illusion that enjoying an adult beverage is somehow worse than using illegal drugs. Stupidity at its finest.

Let's take it back to the basics... drinking is socially acceptable, drugs are not. End of story.

Technically, alcohol is a drug. So under your logic alcohol is not socially acceptable either because it is a drug. I wonder how many people over dosed from smoking pot last year? Oh yeah, nobody. I wonder how many people died from alcohol poisoning and related accidents last year? Around 75,000. I honestly don't smoke pot, I just think it's ridiculous to spend so much time and money fighting something that is virtually harmless.

• Upvote 4

Read my post again, I said ILLEGAL drugs. Alcohol and caffiene may be technically classified as drugs but they are not illegal. Because they're not illegal they are socially acceptable. Pot is not harmless. It is addictive and turns people into nonproductive members of society who live in their parents' basements 20+ years after high school and in many cases leads to the use of other illegal drugs.

Pot is no more addictive than alcohol

Read my post again, I said ILLEGAL drugs. Alcohol and caffiene may be technically classified as drugs but they are not illegal. Because they're not illegal they are socially acceptable. Pot is not harmless. It is addictive and turns people into nonproductive members of society who live in their parents' basements 20+ years after high school and in many cases leads to the use of other illegal drugs.

Look at what alcohol has done for you? Lead you to collect sporting events on tape. You would be amazed at who smokes dope in Grand Forks.
  • Upvote 1

I think what happened at Phi Delta was ridiculous.

Did the Herald article note that the majority of kids who live there were cleared of any wrongdoing? No, but that is a fact.

Was it really necessary to handle this situation with a full drug task force or could this one kid have been arrested leaving the building and then searched? It seems to me like a fishing expedition.

It should also be noted that every kid cited for "drug related charges" was charged with a "ticket" type offense other than one. Every kid charged is also entitled to their day in court, and they are innocent until proven guilty.

If this is how the "war on drugs" works, I would say it is a total failure.

I think what happened at Phi Delta was ridiculous.

Did the Herald article note that the majority of kids who live there were cleared of any wrongdoing? No, but that is a fact.

Was it really necessary to handle this situation with a full drug task force or could this one kid have been arrested leaving the building and then searched? It seems to me like a fishing expedition.

It should also be noted that every kid cited for "drug related charges" was charged with a "ticket" type offense other than one. Every kid charged is also entitled to their day in court, and they are innocent until proven guilty.

You got that right. Maybe they were working on the idea that all these punks will give up someone else?

Pot is not harmless. nd in many cases leads to the use of other illegal drugs.

Bread is the real culprit of Americas problems:

More than 98 percent of convicted felons are bread users.

• 99.7% of the people involved in air and auto accidents ate bread within 6 months preceding the accident.
  • 93.1% of juvenile delinquents came from homes where bread is served frequently.
  • Bread has been proven to be addictive. Subjects deprived of bread and being fed only water begged for bread after as little as two days.
    10. Bread is often a "gateway" food item, leading the user to "harder" items such as butter, jelly, peanut butter, and even cold cuts.

http://monster-island.org/tinashumor/humor/breadkills.html

• Upvote 3

Everything is addictive. Coffee, Mountain Dew, fast food, the internet, you name it... pretty much anything can be addictive. The point is that pot is such a lowlife activity that who in their right mind would want to try it? What if you like it? Then you'll want to do it again and again and again until pretty soon you turn into Jeff Spicoli from Fast Times At Ridgemont High or Leo from That '70s Show. Nobody wants to be that guy, living in your parents' basement when you're 40 because you spend all of your disposable income on drugs and can't afford a place of your own. Smoking pot is the first step towards becoming that guy, which is why I find it laughable that anybody could try to make the argument that it is harmless. I knew people in high school who smoked pot, and I have seen what they've turned into as adults.

Yeah and I know people who smoked pot in highschool and became doctors, lawyers, CFOs of large companies, teachers, elected officials, business owners, etc.. Your point is? I also know people who drank in highschool and have spent the rest of their lifes collecting sports on tape. What about Sioux hockey players over the years? Do you think that none of them ever smoked pot? Remember when Hrkac got suspended in his freshman year for smoking pot? You would be amazed at who smoked on the hockey team.

Precisely. As Prohibition adequately demonstrated, the only people who benefit from "wars" on various subtances, for religious, moral or whatever reasons are criminals who deal the stuff, governmental agencies who enforce the "law" and the "do gooders" who push their respective agendas. I'm surprised the GF "Drug Task Force" hasn't tried to seize the Phi Delt house and sell it at auction ... yet.

Typical pothead spin, try to create the illusion that enjoying an adult beverage is somehow worse than using illegal drugs. Stupidity at its finest.

Let's take it back to the basics... drinking is socially acceptable, drugs are not. End of story.

Where I live it is legal; but you keep blindly judging.

Don't you think something is off when thousands of dollars is spent (task force) to confiscate $200 worth of grass and contraband?