SiouxSports.com Forum

Drug Task Force Raids Phi Delta Theta

Vegas_Sioux

Nope. Main point of why I said DaveK was nothing but a common criminal.

Sorry.

I thought I was replying to DaveK.

I think copyright infringement has moved beyond the "common criminal" stage now, however. Some serious fines for sharing mp3s...

I'd imagine sharing bootleg dvds is similarly frowned-upon.

Sorry.

I thought I was replying to DaveK.

I think copyright infringement has moved beyond the "common criminal" stage now, however. Some serious fines for sharing mp3s...

I'd imagine sharing bootleg dvds is similarly frowned-upon.

Dude, you are so wrong. I was in Mexico and they do it all the time! I KNOW they follow international copyright laws! :lol:

I've been in the hobby for over 15 years so I think I know better than you do. There have been a couple of guys who were busted for copyright infringement, but that's only because they were making a living doing it. They weren't traders, they were selling VHS copies of games for $30/each (and this was back in the mid to late '90s when $30 was worth a lot more than it is today) and moving 100's of games per month. The collectors who exchange copies are left alone because we aren't hurting anybody. Steve Sabol of NFL Films even made mention of the collectrs out there who trade copies of old games during the introduction to the NFL's Greatest Games feature on the "Sea of Hands" game a couple of years ago on the NFL Network. The fact that Steve Sabol knows about us and is making no effort to stop us tells you everything that you need to know.

I understand you're trying to make an issue out of this based on technicalities, because when losing an argument always resort to technicalities. I'm much more interested in the spirit of the law over the letter of the law. While exchanging copies of old games among collectors may be against the letter of the law, smoking pot is against both the letter and more importantly the spirit of the law. Like I said, hand somebody a DVD-R of a football game in front of the police station vs. a bag of marijuana in front of the police station. Recording a game and sharing copies with friends or fellow collectors falls within the definition of fair use. If I opened up a store and stocked the shelves with copies of recorded games and marked them at $39.95 apiece then you would certainly have a valid point, but that isn't what I do and you're really reaching to make an apples to oranges comparison. Seriously... if you haven't done extensive research on the "Betamax Case" you have no business bringing this issue up with me. I did all of my homework on this topic back in the mid '90s before placing my first classified ad seeking fellow collectors to trade with in Sports Collectors Digest.

Look... you are against the Fighting Sioux nickname and you're advocating the use of illegal drugs. Those two facts alone tell me all that I need to know about you.

Like I said, I am done with you. I posted the stuff about the recording and trading of sporting events only to better educate those who may be reading this and might actually believe the garbage that you spewed if somebody who knew better didn't step in and set things straight.

Your rebuttal is nothing more than rationalization to justify your illegal behavior. Just because you havent been arrested dont mean what you do isnt illegal.

I understand you're trying to make an issue out of this based on technicalities, because when losing an argument always resort to technicalities. I'm much more interested in the spirit of the law over the letter of the law.

Seriously? Pot, have you met kettle? (Dave, from earlier arguments, you'd probably want to be kettle in this one)

I've been in the hobby for over 15 years so I think I know better than you do. There have been a couple of guys who were busted for copyright infringement, but that's only because they were making a living doing it. They weren't traders, they were selling VHS copies of games for $30/each (and this was back in the mid to late '90s when $30 was worth a lot more than it is today) and moving 100's of games per month. The collectors who exchange copies are left alone because we aren't hurting anybody. Steve Sabol of NFL Films even made mention of the collectrs out there who trade copies of old games during the introduction to the NFL's Greatest Games feature on the "Sea of Hands" game a couple of years ago on the NFL Network. The fact that Steve Sabol knows about us and is making no effort to stop us tells you everything that you need to know. I understand you're trying to make an issue out of this based on technicalities, because when losing an argument always resort to technicalities. I'm much more interested in the spirit of the law over the letter of the law. While exchanging copies of old games among collectors may be against the letter of the law, smoking pot is against both the letter and more importantly the spirit of the law. Like I said, hand somebody a DVD-R of a football game in front of the police station vs. a bag of marijuana in front of the police station. Recording a game and sharing copies with friends or fellow collectors falls within the definition of fair use. If I opened up a store and stocked the shelves with copies of recorded games and marked them at $39.95 apiece then you would certainly have a valid point, but that isn't what I do and you're really reaching to make an apples to oranges comparison. Seriously... if you haven't done extensive research on the "Betamax Case" you have no business bringing this issue up with me. I did all of my homework on this topic back in the mid '90s before placing my first classified ad seeking fellow collectors to trade with in Sports Collectors Digest. Look... you are against the Fighting Sioux nickname and you're advocating the use of illegal drugs. Those two facts alone tell me all that I need to know about you. Like I said, I am done with you. I posted the stuff about the recording and trading of sporting events only to better educate those who may be reading this and might actually believe the garbage that you spewed if somebody who knew better didn't step in and set things straight.

Keep making "admissions" in a public forum ... :whistling:

Some of you folks are a bit goofy. If you want to smoke dope, go ahead but if you get caught suffer the consequences and don't whine. Recent estimates are that about 4% of adults smoke dope and about 1% "abuse it. Of those, about 1/300 are addicted.

There are documented benefits of "medical marijuana" such as increasing appetite, decreasing pain, and supressing nausea in cancer patients.

The Harvard Medical Letter, which you can review online, does not agree with the people claiming Marijuana is harmless. Almost all medical experts who don't live in "fruit and nut land" (California) agree there are medcations available to the medical profession that can already accomplish the benefits listed and do indeed have risks especially with heavy use. In my almost 30 years of practice I ahve been able to relieve pain and nausea without rpescribing marijuana. The only patients I have come across who were prescribed it and using it seemed to be using for non-medical reasons. I am well aware there are many patients who have greatly benefitted but the push for legalization doesn't seem to be coming from the medical profession. Marijuan is not harmless. It can adversely affect short term and long term memory. It can lead to phsychological crisis on patients with psychosis and in heavy users, it can cause deprssion and anxiety. Marijuana smoke can also adversely affect the lungs. WEB MD, The Harvard Medical Letter, or the Mayo Clinic Web site are only a few of the resources one might go to before the folks on this blog who are misinformed. The adverse affects of alchohol are numerous and I believe child abuse and spouse abuse is much higher in people abusing alcohol than booze. People smoking dope and drinking both have a higher incidence of motor vehicle accidents. I could go on but I hope you get the picture.

Although there is no solid evidence marijuana is physically addicting there is ample evidence to support it is psychologically addicting. Have fun but don't forget to go to work and don't wonder why you are getting so damn fat! (the munchies).

• Upvote 1

I've been in the hobby for over 15 years so I think I know better than you do. There have been a couple of guys who were busted for copyright infringement, but that's only because they were making a living doing it. They weren't traders, they were selling VHS copies of games for $30/each (and this was back in the mid to late '90s when $30 was worth a lot more than it is today) and moving 100's of games per month. The collectors who exchange copies are left alone because we aren't hurting anybody. Steve Sabol of NFL Films even made mention of the collectrs out there who trade copies of old games during the introduction to the NFL's Greatest Games feature on the "Sea of Hands" game a couple of years ago on the NFL Network. The fact that Steve Sabol knows about us and is making no effort to stop us tells you everything that you need to know.

I understand you're trying to make an issue out of this based on technicalities, because when losing an argument always resort to technicalities. I'm much more interested in the spirit of the law over the letter of the law. While exchanging copies of old games among collectors may be against the letter of the law, smoking pot is against both the letter and more importantly the spirit of the law. Like I said, hand somebody a DVD-R of a football game in front of the police station vs. a bag of marijuana in front of the police station. Recording a game and sharing copies with friends or fellow collectors falls within the definition of fair use. If I opened up a store and stocked the shelves with copies of recorded games and marked them at $39.95 apiece then you would certainly have a valid point, but that isn't what I do and you're really reaching to make an apples to oranges comparison. Seriously... if you haven't done extensive research on the "Betamax Case" you have no business bringing this issue up with me. I did all of my homework on this topic back in the mid '90s before placing my first classified ad seeking fellow collectors to trade with in Sports Collectors Digest.

Look... you are against the Fighting Sioux nickname and you're advocating the use of illegal drugs. Those two facts alone tell me all that I need to know about you.

Like I said, I am done with you. I posted the stuff about the recording and trading of sporting events only to better educate those who may be reading this and might actually believe the garbage that you spewed if somebody who knew better didn't step in and set things straight.

Amazing how the criminal tries to justify their crime. Reminds me of certain coach at Penn St.

The only reason I would support legalizing marijuana is to tax the hell out of it. I'm not one to nickel and dime the public with taxes, nor am I for increased taxes, but I would not feel disappointed in the least if they did something like that.

The people that want it legalized are already using it, I don't think you'd see much of an increased usage rate.

-Tax the heck out of it

-Enact stiff laws and penalties for mis-use or violations/illegal acts while using (similar to alcohol laws)

Again, I am in favor of legalizing it, but if one day push comes to shove, make sure they make it worth using.

(I've never smoked it)

One more for the road...just speaking from personal experience.

When I was at UND, I knew about a dozen people who smoked pot (not friends, just knew them). A quarter of them did decent in class and were successful. The rest either dropped out completely, or were on their way to doing so.

Out of all the people I knew that had their fair of drinks on the weekends, about three quarters did decent in class and were successful. The pot smokers were included in this drinking group (because they drank and smoked heavily). So, not counting the pot smokers, roughly 1 in 10 weren't very good in school that participated in getting drunk on a regular basis.

I'm not trying to stereotype, but based on the people I knew, either the people that smoked pot were dumb prior to smoking pot, or the pot made them dumb. I'm not picking sides, just noting what I've experienced personally.

• Upvote 1

One more for the road...just speaking from personal experience.

When I was at UND, I knew about a dozen people who smoked pot (not friends, just knew them). A quarter of them did decent in class and were successful. The rest either dropped out completely, or were on their way to doing so.

Out of all the people I knew that had their fair of drinks on the weekends, about three quarters did decent in class and were successful. The pot smokers were included in this drinking group (because they drank and smoked heavily). So, not counting the pot smokers, roughly 1 in 10 weren't very good in school that participated in getting drunk on a regular basis.

I'm not trying to stereotype, but based on the people I knew, either the people that smoked pot were dumb prior to smoking pot, or the pot made them dumb. I'm not picking sides, just noting what I've experienced personally.

The problem with this analogy is that you were not friends with them and have no idea what they did later. Did they come back to school and exel and graduate with honors? Did they start a multi-million dollar business? Funny but I knew/know people like this who became doctors, lawyers, cfos, etc..
  • Upvote 1

And what are they doing then? You make it sound as if they would all be homeless junkies.

If you want to assume that's what I meant, fine by me. I could tell you whatever I want in terms of what they do because you wouldn't know if I was lying or not, so I'll just do both of us a favor and not.

Do what you have to do, fine by me. I've done my fair share of stupid things, so I'm not going to point fingers at those who smoke pot and act like I'm perfect. I'm merely pointing out what I've observed as a non-smoker. To be fair, I've personally never witnessed a pot smoker do anything that would put another in harm's way (except for hitting a golf ball with a 7 iron in a courtyard surrounded by apartments at 2am roughly 6 years ago (which was probably caused by his alcohol consumption instead) and in my drunken stupor I found quite funny myself, so I'm just as guilty for not stopping him, even though I wasn't smoking). So, since I'm only speaking on personal observations, I can't say that it is any more dangerous than other legal consumables when used improperly (though I do believe that smoking does inhibit proper mental judgments, and in turn, would likely cause someone to put another in harm's way if it indeed was used improperly).

I'm trying to be fair. End of discussion on my end.

If you want to assume that's what I meant, fine by me. I could tell you whatever I want in terms of what they do because you wouldn't know if I was lying or not, so I'll just do both of us a favor and not.

Do what you have to do, fine by me. I've done my fair share of stupid things, so I'm not going to point fingers at those who smoke pot and act like I'm perfect. I'm merely pointing out what I've observed as a non-smoker. To be fair, I've personally never witnessed a pot smoker do anything that would put another in harm's way (except for hitting a golf ball with a 7 iron in a courtyard surrounded by apartments at 2am roughly 6 years ago (which was probably caused by his alcohol consumption instead) and in my drunken stupor I found quite funny myself, so I'm just as guilty for not stopping him, even though I wasn't smoking). So, since I'm only speaking on personal observations, I can't say that it is any more dangerous than other legal consumables when used improperly (though I do believe that smoking does inhibit proper mental judgments, and in turn, would likely cause someone to put another in harm's way if it indeed was used improperly).

I'm trying to be fair. End of discussion on my end.

I am sorry for misunderstanding you. I thought that you were saying the smokers turned out bad. Your last statement though I would relate to alcohol more than pot.

• 3 weeks later...