SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Falls Week

goyotes

RD....you are right about things I think. USF is better than the NAIA teams that UND has faced, but this also isn't the 2009 USF team either. They have the talent, but just haven't come together as a group. USF has 1 starter from that 2009 team left on the 2011 USF team....UND has 4. (not that it matters, but it shows the amount of turnover USF has seen since that time) They have played like a young team almost all season..and as a fan, I would love to see a growing up game here.

USF Scouting Report: (since your own team already knows this stuff from watching film)

USF will have a lefty QB who is making his 4th start of the year (Taylor Perkins) who is pretty athletic and makes quick reads. He had a bad game this last week versus Minot, but has shown signs of being pretty good also. He was a D-Back at New Mexico St last year, but wanted to play QB as eventually landed at USF due to some coaching connections, etc. Same can be said for USF starting RB Jordan Taylor (#9) who spent a year at Marshall University before landing at USF. Taylor is a load and runs well behind his pads.

The 2 most dangerous players USF has on offense are Micheal Hicks (#6), who is the best return-man USF has seen..along with being a dangerous WR....and also Jeremiah Oates, who is a tall-thin WR who is an old VB player from Cali who can go up and get it, while being very athletic. These two guys are key for USF to have success stretching the field on UND as they can both do well in one-on-one type matchups.

Last time around USF did a lot of screens and TE-delay plays, which got UND very off-balanced while slow to recover. I doubt USF goes in with the exact same plan as the OC, DC, and HC, are all different from that time..but the USF DC was the LB Coach from 2009 and uses the same 3-4 scheme that the Cougars used back in the first meeting.

USF defense has been bend-but-dont-break much of this year and the front seven (mostly the LB) have kept things on-pace for this group. #45 Eric Anderson is the leader at inside-lb, with Robert Virgil (#20) making big plays in the secondary. This unit has not been as good as the past, but they've done a good job of keeping the other team from making the scoreboard dance....except for that NWMSU game. That squad is likely tops in D2 though, best I can tell..and they would've handled the FCS McNeese State squad that USF traveled to a week later.

Special Teams: USF has blocked a few punts lately, along with having success in the return game. K/P Bradon Wieking was an NAIA All-American in the past and is D1 caliber in both punting and kicking. The best overall player on the team. Pretty consistent kicker from short range....and has missed 2 kicks over 50 this year, with 1 hitting the upright and the other being wide. I would think that he'd kick well in the dome after being used to kicking in the crazy Dakota winds.

I'm a realistic homer here..I wanna see my Coo pull the upset again but I fully realize they are the clear underdog in this one.

Game Notes from USF, if interested.

http://www.usfcougar...pdf8/795095.pdf

....and yes, if USF gets thumped..I will come back around and give you guys congrats. ;)

Sioux fans are pathetic. They rarely discuss any upcoming football game.

Drop the program.

Da Bison are going to easily roll to another National Championship...check masseyratings.com

No they won't.

The playoffs are dangerously close to Christmas. And we all know how much they like "shopping" at Best Buy. They'll get caught again.

While simply getting a win is obviously of first and foremost importance, the other aspect of this game which is of particular interest is whether the UND pass defense can finally show that it can limit the big plays of an opponent. Last week was bad. And the overall pass defense stats this season are bad. It would be nice to start seeing some progress in that area, regardless of opponent. If we can't avoid giving up big plays even with a very good pass rush, something's wrong.

Anything less than a win, should result in Mussman being removed....If you can't learn from your mistakes, then you shouldn't be allowed to lead. Sioux Falls gave UND a clinic on how to play football basics last year and made us look like complete arses...either you have learned what to do or you have not - no excuses, no rationalizations....

http://siouxfb.areavoices.com/

The Fighting Sioux host Division 2 transition school Sioux Fallsthis weekend in a rematch of the 2009 game in which the Cougars came to the Alerus and took home a victory. USF has a variety of Division 1 and 2 transfers on their roster and are a talented bunch who are used to winning football games. Saturday’s kickoff at The Alerus is slated for 1 pm CST.

Glad to see my Coo has come to battle today..at least they are going after it..

USF is stuffing the run so far....but life UND, the USF secondary has struggled this year..

USF 7

UND 7

late 1st Q....UND blocked FG