SiouxSports.com Forum

Homecoming vs Cal Poly

siouxforeverbaby

fourth and goal from the one and he goes for a field goal....lose by four....did someone remind muss that they are NOT eligible for the playoffs....wonder if he thought about punting from there to win the field position battle? show some balls

Mussman's lack of a set is legendary and is the one constant throughout this season

I liked some of what I saw today

However, in addition to never playing to win, the failure to recruit a D1 quarterback really has held this team back (no disrespect to Goska, who had a gutty performance)

• Upvote 1

Mussman's lack of a set is legendary and is the one constant throughout this season

I liked some of what I saw today

However, in addition to never playing to win, the failure to recruit a D1 quarterback really has held this team back (no disrespect to Goska, who had a gutty performance)

Totally agree!!

Got back from the game and some of my thoughts:

1) Our defense played pretty well for the most part. We played well against the run (which was CP's strength) but once again our pass defense bugaboo reared its ugly head. Too many times receivers just running by our corners or no defender within 5-10 yards. Both their touchdowns came on blown coverages and without those we still had a shot at winning. Then again, they just missed out on several more big plays that could have seen us lose by quite a bit more.

2) This game was an example of what happens when a team shuts down our running game. Miller still ran well, but there was just too much inconsistency with our running game to rely on it exclusively like we have in past games this season.

3) I didn't like the coaches trying to force Sutton back into things too early. It was clear to see that he was a step slower than earlier in the season and aside from one run, he really didn't get much done. The running game has been working with Miller and Garman, yet I think Garman was put in for just one play today.

4) Unless there can be some major improvement by Bradley over the last part of the season or in the off-season, the coaches have whiffed on this pickup. Today was just terrible to see, both for his decision making (both interceptions were just ugly) as well as his actual throws (many of which were way off target). Goska showed quite a bit of senior grit by coming in and almost salvaging the game, but he also showed the reason why he isn't the starter to begin with.

5) Dropped balls. How many times this season have we had dropped balls, especially at crucial times in the game. Notably in today's game, Hardin's drop on that final drive was a real killer. Catch that, we keep the momentum, we are deep in their territory and we've got a legitimate shot at winning.

With all that said, we were still in the game late in the 4th with a chance to win. They scored on two big plays, we settled for field goals. 1st and goal within the 1, we need to score a touchdown there. That's inexcusable. But it is what it is. A tough fought game, but still a loss.

Some key players had an off game today. I'm not gonna make any broad, sweeping generalizations about what kind of season or careers they may or may not have, just a bad day.

I am not exactly being profound here, but the bottom line is, you just can't lose conference games at home. I don't care if it is the Great West or Big Sky. If you consider to be one of those teams that trades off with Montana as conference champion, you must win at home. Best get into that habit now.

QB play has hurt the Sioux for a couple of years now. Need to get the kid from Detroit Lakes into school (forgot his name), red shirt him for a season to learn the offense, and then let him have at it.

As for next season.....uhhh.....ummmm.....Garmin? :lol:

It certainly seems like the Sioux have the makings of a good Big Sky team if they could find a consistent passing game. In the NFL and NCAA football, you aren't going to go far without a passing game, and the Sioux and the Vikings both are on the lower end of the spectrum in producing an acceptable passing game. I would hate to see Jake Miller's ability be wasted because teams don't have to respect the passing game. To me it is remarkable how well he and Adrian Peterson have done with virtually no passing game to complement their abilities. Unless the Sioux can have someone step up this year and next, Miller might have only one year to work with an offense that is balanced, which would be a shame. Makes me even more upset that he and Garman weren't redshirted.

One thing I was pleased with today, was that they used Jake Miller in the screen game effectively, and they also used him as a decoy split out wide, which gave Goska a few running lanes. Would still like to see more play action with him to give our passing game a better chance at succeeding, especially on first down when the opponents will be expecting run.

It certainly seems like the Sioux have the makings of a good Big Sky team if they could find a consistent passing game. In the NFL and NCAA football, you aren't going to go far without a passing game, and the Sioux and the Vikings both are on the lower end of the spectrum in producing an acceptable passing game. I would hate to see Jake Miller's ability be wasted because teams don't have to respect the passing game. To me it is remarkable how well he and Adrian Peterson have done with virtually no passing game to complement their abilities. Unless the Sioux can have someone step up this year and next, Miller might have only one year to work with an offense that is balanced, which would be a shame. Makes me even more upset that he and Garman weren't redshirted.

Unless you have a kickass running game. Look at Nebraska in the 80's and 90's. Tommie Frazier not a passer but a hell of a runner and with Lawrence Phillips, and Ahman Green, NU usually had 300 yards plus on the ground and only about 100 or so in the air. You need a great OL to go with the running game.

Still baffled that Garmin wasn't redshirted.....

Coaches trying to get too cutesy/tricky coming out of the bye week you think?

I said the same thing. Their coaching plan outsmarted them. Bradley wasn't ready to lead the team, that set the tone. We were lucky to be close at the end, great job by the senior Goska!

I was puzzled by the first half play calling. Seemed to me UND strayed from their identity without the game dictating it.

I thougth we had a great scheme early, we had guys running wide open all over their secondary early in the game. an average qb would have been 9-11 instead of 1-11 after our first few possesssions

Great game. My blood pressure went through the roof. I thought when UND forced Cal Poly into a 3 and out at the end of the game that UND was going to score and win and they almost did. UND is a very physical team that is going to make some noise in both the Big Sky and FCS in the years to come. Glad you are going to continue to be conference partners in the Big Sky. Best of luck the rest of the season.

• Upvote 1

Great game. My blood pressure went through the roof. I thought when UND forced Cal Poly into a 3 and out at the end of the game that UND was going to score and win and they almost did. UND is a very physical team that is going to make some noise in both the Big Sky and FCS in the years to come. Glad you are going to continue to be conference partners in the Big Sky. Best of luck the rest of the season.

It was tough to watch as a UND fan. Bradley had an awful, awful game. They haven't really let him throw much this year, and now we know why. Your QB, Snoop's relative, did a great job of completing passes when he needed to.

It was tough to watch as a UND fan. Bradley had an awful, awful game. They haven't really let him throw much this year, and now we know why. Your QB, Snoop's relative, did a great job of completing passes when he needed to.

UND simply needs a JC QB or two on campus for spring drills. Right now, the QB cupboard is absolutely bare and has been for nearly two seasons. Up until this game, Bradley couldn't pass but at least hadn't made stupid decisions. Can't say that anymore. Next fall, need Mollberg and at least two other QBs on this team.

Although disappointing, it was an entertaining game, and AGAIN the Sioux defense put the team in a position to win the game at the end.

I believe it was Sicatoka that said this team is a quarterback away from being a very very good team...............that was never more apparent than yesterday. It was a very inopportune time for Bradley to have a bad game. Having said that, and despite the spark that Goska provided, my opinion is that Bradley remains the starter going forward.

Despite the subpar play from the qb position yesterday, I feel the game was lost by the play-calling in the 1st half. They should have stayed with their bread and butter from the start, as in the run game. Let Cal Poly take the run game away, don't do it voluntarily..........................

I had no problem at all with kicking the field goal on 4th goal from the 1, because this is real football, not playstation.......................I seem to recall them going for the TD in a similar situation last season at Northern Illinois and it failed so instead of being down by 3 on the final drive in that game and needing a field goal to tie, we ended up losing by 6 if I recall with the team chucking it long trying to get to the endzone rather than to the 30 yard line..............

I would tend to completely disagree with the statement " I feel the game was lost by the play-calling in the 1st half." The strategy was sound, planned out by a group of coaches that spent numerous hours watching film, running practices, and developing a strategy. It comes down to players having to make plays. If the QB makes a few less terrible reads-throws and hits a few more open passes the strategy opens up the entire playbook. Yes, it's real football, not playstation. Like most closely matched teams it comes down to athletes making more plays than the other teams athletes. I say this as someone who played the game. I think if you talked to any of the Sioux players, they would agree. They were prepared and ready, but the other team made more plays and had fewer mistakes.

I would tend to completely disagree with the statement " I feel the game was lost by the play-calling in the 1st half." The strategy was sound, planned out by a group of coaches that spent numerous hours watching film, running practices, and developing a strategy. It comes down to players having to make plays. If the QB makes a few less terrible reads-throws and hits a few more open passes the strategy opens up the entire playbook. Yes, it's real football, not playstation. Like most closely matched teams it comes down to athletes making more plays than the other teams athletes. I say this as someone who played the game. I think if you talked to any of the Sioux players, they would agree. They were prepared and ready, but the other team made more plays and had fewer mistakes.

Correct. I watched the game from the end zone. Our scheme was great, guys were not just open, they were wide open and time and time again our qb missed them with errant passes. On our first 11 pass plays and average qb completes at least 9 of them(allowing for the incomplete pass when McGill got pushed out of bounds and the flea flicker to start the game, although with a good qb that play goes for 6)