SiouxSports.com Forum

Student attendence at Football games

Siouxperfan7

The students at UND ought to be embarrased at their lack of support for the UND football team. There are many games over the last few years where there have literally been 50 students at the game. That is pathetic. We are a Division 1 football team with great football tradition and a great facility to play football in. The fact that the students can't get their butts in the seats to support the team is unexcuseable. I get it that more students are hockey fans than football fans. But UND students will be the first ones to tell you that they are the best hockey fans in the country. That may be true but guess what, you are the worst football fans. If you are a true UND fan you support all sports and make an attempt to see them. Last time I checked, football tickets were free. Doesn't cost you a thing. Get out and support the football team, students That is my point.

• Upvote 4

You couldn't have said this any better. I graduated on 07 and by then the student support was pathetic. STUDENTS- you live in Grand Forks, ND; what else do you have to do on a Saturday afternoon?

Do not tell me hunting because if you are good you can be cleaned up and ready to go by noon; that is a crap excuse! (I just got back from a hunting trip up there and I hunted Sat morning then went to the Western game; I hunted in Devils Lake BTW)

• Upvote 1

I've had students tell me that they don't have a car and the Alerus is too far away from campus. Again, as I've pointed out- my walk to REA from Wilkerson compared to my walk from Wilkerson to Alerus has only taken a few minutes longer. The reality is- that a vast majority of students have a vehicle- and honestly, what does it really take for a person who has a car to load up with 4 friends and head over. It's shameful and the excuses made by the students are so lame. I remember when I was a student- I partied hard on Friday evening but I was still able to get to a football game. Quietly at Sioux Boosters I when I have been fortunate enough to gain the powers that be ear- I have recommended that UND sell those seats to new season ticket holders. They are great seats going to waste as the students aren't using them.

Unfortunately, from my view there is very little leadership when students come to a game now. in my day there alway was a group of 20 to 30 guys that would get the cheers and chants going and before you knew it the whole full section would be loud. When I go tailgate, I see all the things that UND has done to market to students- their own tailgating area- music- food- games- and free parking. We never had anything that tailored towards us when I was in school. I wish...what more do you want? Basically, it's incredibly frustrating and I hope that it would change but I'm beginning to think that it won't. This is a great game coming up this weekend-but I'm not holding my breath for a good student turnout.

• Upvote 4

As a current student at UND, I think I should point out one fact that is currently the reason for the low student turn-out: it isn't a big social event, hockey is. Sitting in the student section for the hockey games, sure you hear people that are into it and that genuinely understand what is going on in the game, but you also hear and see those people that don't have a clue and wouldn't know a goalie from a center. They go to the games because that is the thing to do and the culture of their chosen university. It is expected that people show up to hockey, and then when other people start yelling or cheering, they in turn start to yell and cheer without even knowing why.

UND football is not the same social event as hockey is, for whatever reason. Despite the efforts that UND has gone to to attract fans to the various sports (and this is for more than just football, other sports are majorly lacking in student fan support), the fact of the matter is that most students are only attracted to hockey because that's the attitude of Grand Forks.

On a more positive note though, while sitting in the student section for hockey this weekend, I heard some good chatter about the football team, comments like "Oh hey, the football team is ranked? I didn't know that" or "I heard the football team is supposed to be good this year, maybe I'll go check it out." Just a couple things I heard and hopefully we can actually get a good crowd for homecoming, and if we win that game, I think you will see students continue to return to the remaining games.

• Upvote 1

I don't know about students know a days but it absolutely kills me to go sit inside during nice fall days in Fargo. That and at NDSU there is a decent student turnout and then halftime hits and 1/4 clear out to go hit the sauce.

I thought they do that before, during (sneak it in) and after.

As a current student at UND, I think I should point out one fact that is currently the reason for the low student turn-out: it isn't a big social event, hockey is. Sitting in the student section for the hockey games, sure you hear people that are into it and that genuinely understand what is going on in the game, but you also hear and see those people that don't have a clue and wouldn't know a goalie from a center. They go to the games because that is the thing to do and the culture of their chosen university. It is expected that people show up to hockey, and then when other people start yelling or cheering, they in turn start to yell and cheer without even knowing why.

UND football is not the same social event as hockey is, for whatever reason. Despite the efforts that UND has gone to to attract fans to the various sports (and this is for more than just football, other sports are majorly lacking in student fan support), the fact of the matter is that most students are only attracted to hockey because that's the attitude of Grand Forks.

On a more positive note though, while sitting in the student section for hockey this weekend, I heard some good chatter about the football team, comments like "Oh hey, the football team is ranked? I didn't know that" or "I heard the football team is supposed to be good this year, maybe I'll go check it out." Just a couple things I heard and hopefully we can actually get a good crowd for homecoming, and if we win that game, I think you will see students continue to return to the remaining games.

Guess what, Football is a great social even too. Tailgating 4 hours before the game is great. If you haven't checked it out, I strongly suggest you come out this Saturday. There is a Student tailgating section that you can take advantage off. You can walk around and there are people that will offer you food. there are always local businesses out there giving free food and other stuff away. Tailgating is the ultimate sports social event. Not sure why students don't see this. So if a great social event is what you are looking for, football on Saturdays is where it's at. Hope to see you and a thousand of your classmates out there this Saturday.

• Upvote 1

I am a former student, current UND employee, and season football ticket owner. I agree with your observations and opinion. It was not that long ago UND was atop the Division II polls and attendance was great. As the team gets better and rivalries are formed in the Big Sky conference those days will be return. Go Sioux!

The students today suck, plain and simple.........................

But if you think it's bad at football games, take a gander at the student section at a basktball game. That's just embarassing. But, of course, the Betty (like the Alerus) is so far to walk to from the dorms........................oh, wait no it's not, it's at the same place the hockey games are............................ :silly:

The distance of the Alerus is bunk..............forget comparing walking from Wilkerson to REA vs. Alerus. Some say an on-campus staudium is the answer. Compare walking from Wilkerson to Alerus vs. Memorial Stadium. That was a long damn walk in my day. Ever heard of the shuttle bus? They're running constantly..................

I think as the team gets better, and has a chance to compete for something tangible, attendance will get better both by students and in general. At least that is my hope............

I have recommended that UND sell those seats to new season ticket holders. They are great seats going to waste as the students aren't using them.

You act like the rest of the Alerus Center is sold out besides the student section. Tons of empty seats everywhere.

Football season tickets are pretty dirt cheap. You want to give the general public those seats? So basically you want to decrease the Alerus Center atmosphere even more?

Because then with all the open seats in the Alerus, student would just move to the corner.

One things fans need to remember student attendance has never been that good.

It peaked with a new Alerus Center and championship runs in 01-06.

I was only a teenager but I remember looking at the student section at the Memorial Stadium and wondering where the students were.

FBS is the only thing that will make students excited. This isn't NDSU where its "our" number one sport.

This coming from a diehard former student that would attend both hockey and football games religiously (probably like most of us that donate lots of our time on siouxsports.com). Me and my bros would even wake up to go to McMenamy's for 3-1's at 7 am!!

But unfortunately many don't share our passion.

FYI student sections at sioux hockey games don't usually sell out, its looks full after the general public is allowed to buy the rest of their unused tickets.

As a student, I am extremely disappointed in the student attendance at football games. I find myself begging some of my friends to go to football games with me. Another thing that bothers me is that most students leave at halftime. If we have a big lead in the game then I'm all for it, but if the game is close, like it was for Drake, stay and cheer your team on! It's not like drinking can't wait another hour!

On the bright side it can't get worse....

Win games. They will come back. Just being in the Big Sky won't bring them back. Being competitive in it will. Students like winners, if UND football is winning important, relevant games, students will come watch.

That's another thing that reminds me of how the Alerus killed Sioux football.

At Memorial Stadium you could leave the game and come back in.

If you want people to stay after halftime. Let them go "have fun" chill at their "campsites" drink a few beers listen to the radio/watch tv. Make it a social event.....the radio says the game is getting close again....let the fans back into the building!!

Another thing that bothers me is that most students leave at halftime. It's not like drinking can't wait another hour!

I couldn't have said it better myself so I won't try but I agree with Siouxperfan7 that tailgating is the ultimate social sporting event, The one problem I have is that the general and student tailgate sections should not be seperated because not many students bring their vehicles to the game.

As a student at UND the main reason I do not attend many games is just how long the games are. I'm not willing to sit in uncomfortable chairs for 4 hours and watch a team that is not very good. There just is not enough entertainment to keep me there or keep me coming back. There are no be rivals in the football schedule. If they were playing ndsu or had another known historical rival i would definately attend. I do not care if they beat some colleges I've barely heard of.

This may be a little off topic but do you think more people would show if there was more reserved seating for the public and less for the Fighting Sioux Club members. I remember as a kid getting a seat at the 50 at Memorial Stadium (before the Fighting Sioux Club), and it was great. Now you are lucky if you sit outside the 20.

This may be a little off topic but do you think more people would show if there was more reserved seating for the public and less for the Fighting Sioux Club members. I remember as a kid getting a seat at the 50 at Memorial Stadium (before the Fighting Sioux Club), and it was great. Now you are lucky if you sit outside the 20.

Well, if you buy a ticket for the game, you can sit in the student section if it is not full. I know people that do that all the time. If the students aren't going to sit there, someone should.

Well, if you buy a ticket for the game, you can sit in the student section if it is not full. I know people that do that all the time. If the students aren't going to sit there, someone should.

I have thought of that but too worried about getting kicked out.

The argument for moving the student section is a valid one IMO..........................

MBVURHTYACKXQPT.20110519143739.jpg

Sections 213, 214, and 215 are currently reserved for for students, and the band gets 212. I think they should get 211, 212, and 213. Surrounding the band with students would add to the atmosphere. Sections 214 and 215 should be opened up to prospective season ticket buyers and single game/walk-up ticket buyers. No sense in letting the prime real estate go unused. The west side of the stadium needs to be close to full every week both to intimidate the opposition bench and so it looks better on TV.

Might as well move the students now, because they will have to move anyways once we start hosting playoff games every year per NCAA rules.....................

Also, if students knew that there was only one section near mid-field rather than 3, that may motivate some of them to make more of an effort to get the better seats..............supply and demand ya know.................

• Upvote 1

The student section was good during the 2001-2006 time period as a national D-II power. The transition and the continuous scheduling of NAIA schools at home has hurt student support for the team. Once we get into the Big Sky and start contending for conference and national titles, I think you'll see a big turn around.

As a current student who has been at UND since 2005 (don't worry, I've gotten one degree in that time period), I've seen the student section diminish over the past few years. I think the best student turn out I've seen was when I first got to UND for the first couple of years and when there were free shuttles running from behind the Chester Fritz to the Alerus. I lived on campus, but I used it because I didn't want to pay for parking when they started charging. It also helped for students who decided to drink. If they lived on campus, they weren't going to be getting behind the wheel.